Getting in Shape
Options

XP: trying blogging!

hey guys, I know a bunch of us are working on getting in shape for wedding day.  I just started a blog about my journey to a healthier me, and if anyone wants to follow to try to get inspiration or a laugh, feel free!  I'm sure it's going to be a lot of trial and error, but if I can help someone along the way, that'd be great!

http://bettermehoneybee.blogspot.com/
8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: trying blogging!

• Options
    I checked out your blog and FYI: liquid only diets aren't healthy or permanent  At all.  They're generally used as a last resort for severely obese people and then under a physician's supervision.

Here's an article you may find enlightening: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31329422/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/sip-n-starve-dangerous-diets-disguise/#.Tu-ha1ZjOt8

You're supposed to eat.
  • Options
    Yeah, no.  You need fat.  And protein.  That's NOT a good idea.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Just to clear up a couple misconceptions... It's not a diet and it's not something that would be sustainable long term at all.  It's a short term cleanse, and meant to give the body less work to do, and a chance to detoxify, as your not taking in impurities and other things like salt, processed food, preservatives etc.  It follows some of the same theories as a raw diet.  There are some high protein vegetables that are reccomended for juicing, and it's not liquid only, as you can eat fruits/veggies, some beans, and even sweet potatoes.  The point to juicing is that you'd have to eat about 20 pounds of vegetable to get enough nutrients for it to be healthy.  The juicer gets you the nutrients, but brings the volume down to a liter or two of juice a day.  As it says on the blog, the main reason isn't weight loss.  This is to cleanse out my system, and use a a starting point for a healthier life style.  In addition to increasing my fruit/veggie intake, it can also curb your desire for sweets and just help you realize how good you feel when you're not eating crap all the time.  Plus, if you check out the documentary the cleanse is based off of, each participant was followed by a doctor the whole time and had weekly blood tests and had physician permission to continue. 

Anyway, the juice cleanse will only be a small part of the blog.  I'll be trying out exercises, mental health stregthening, etc, in addition to tweaking my food intake.  I just bought a Living Social deal to try out tai chi so that should be fun.  But like it says in my first post, this a trial and error thing, I don't expect everything to work out, but I'm just experimenting to find out what works for me and gets me to a healthier place!
  • Options
    Are you going to have weekly blood tests too?

Sorry, I still don't think it's a good idea.  And you're insulting your liver and kidneys.  If you don't want them to have to work so hard to get rid of crap, then don't put the crap in in the first place.  You can absolutely clean up your eating without doing this crazy cleanse.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_xp-trying-blogging?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4841ffbd-2a13-487d-9a69-98c9e84a4c67Post:6902a854-9975-4dc7-9e17-115880037da3">Re: XP: trying blogging!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the input guys. Just to clear up a couple misconceptions... It's not a diet and it's not something that would be sustainable long term at all.  It's a short term cleanse, and meant to give the body less work to do, and a chance to detoxify, as your not taking in impurities and other things like salt, processed food, preservatives etc.  It follows some of the same theories as a raw diet.  There are some high protein vegetables that are reccomended for juicing, and it's not liquid only, as you can eat fruits/veggies, some beans, and even sweet potatoes.  The point to juicing is that you'd have to eat about 20 pounds of vegetable to get enough nutrients for it to be healthy.  The juicer gets you the nutrients, but brings the volume down to a liter or two of juice a day. <strong> As it says on the blog, the main reason isn't weight loss.  This is to cleanse out my system, and use a a starting point for a healthier life style. </strong> In addition to increasing my fruit/veggie intake, it can also curb your desire for sweets and just help you realize how good you feel when you're not eating crap all the time.  Plus, if you check out the documentary the cleanse is based off of, each participant was followed by a doctor the whole time and had weekly blood tests and had physician permission to continue.  Anyway, the juice cleanse will only be a small part of the blog.  I'll be trying out exercises, mental health stregthening, etc, in addition to tweaking my food intake.  I just bought a Living Social deal to try out tai chi so that should be fun.  But like it says in my first post, this a trial and error thing, I don't expect everything to work out, but I'm just experimenting to find out what works for me and gets me to a healthier place!
    Posted by bmetz34[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the human body is specifically designed to remove impurities.  That's what some of your organs do exclusively.  To "clean" your system you just need to stop adding crap foods to it.

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18595886/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/experts-warn-detox-diet-dangers/" rel="nofollow">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18595886/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/experts-warn-detox-diet-dangers/</a>

“Your body does a perfectly good job of getting rid of toxins on its own,” says Dr. Nasir Moloo, a gastroenterologist with Capitol Gastroenterology Consultants Medical Group in Sacramento, Calif. “There’s no evidence that these types of diets are necessary or helpful.”   
  • Options
    Ditto J&K, you have organs that already "detox" the body for you when you put crap into it. If you want to give your body "a break" from working hard at detoxing your system, then just eat "clean" foods, and cut out as much processed junk as possible.

If you want to start living a healthier lifestyle, then actually change your lifestyle. No bs short cuts, or temporary diets ... just start eating better, track your calories and try to get in some exercise. You actually should be eating fats, proteins and carbs to lose weight, you just need to be eating the right ones: getting your fats from nuts and foods that have Omega 3s instead of fast food, eating whole grains instead of white breads, etc. Living off of juiced fruits and veggies alone, though, is not going to cut it.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    I'm not doing this cleanse for any extended period of time, so no, I won't be getting weekly blood tests.  I've had a recent physical and I'm in good health, so that should reduce my risks of any bad side effects.  My goal is absolutely to pick up a healthier lifestyle after the cleanse.  Our bodies are absolutely miracle machines that have evolved to filter out toxins.  But sometimes, we trash our bodies further than we are evolved to handle.  If that weren't the case, you wouldn't see things like hepatic encephalopathy in alcoholics or heart attacks in someone with a high fat diet.  I agree that a healthy diet and exercise make the most sense for sustaining a healthy lifestyle.  Juicing is a jumping off point for me to detox and regulate my digestive system, and then proceed with a healthy lifestyle.  I read the article you posted and it presents some good points.  I will still be taking in about 1200-1500 calories a day and I won't be trying colonics.  You will find arguments for both sides of the story, people that swear by it, and those who disagree.  It's definitely not for everyone and it's just an experiment for me to see how I feel.  You don't have to agree with me, and definitely don't have to follow the blog!  I'm sure there are some girls out there in similar situations, who are searching for ways to be healthy and find a new lifestyle.  And if anyone finds the blog interesting or helpful, that's great.  If people disagree or it disturbs them, they just don't need to read  it. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_xp-trying-blogging?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4841ffbd-2a13-487d-9a69-98c9e84a4c67Post:c8a5c80f-22c9-49dc-8bbe-ff6a307cbf89">Re: XP: trying blogging!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not doing this cleanse for any extended period of time, so no, I won't be getting weekly blood tests.  I've had a recent physical and I'm in good health, so that should reduce my risks of any bad side effects.  My goal is absolutely to pick up a healthier lifestyle after the cleanse.  Our bodies are absolutely miracle machines that have evolved to filter out toxins.  But sometimes, we trash our bodies further than we are evolved to handle.  If that weren't the case, you wouldn't see things like hepatic encephalopathy in alcoholics or heart attacks in someone with a high fat diet.  I agree that a healthy diet and exercise make the most sense for sustaining a healthy lifestyle.  Juicing is a jumping off point for me to detox and regulate my digestive system, and then proceed with a healthy lifestyle.  I read the article you posted and it presents some good points.  I will still be taking in about 1200-1500 calories a day and I won't be trying colonics.  You will find arguments for both sides of the story, people that swear by it, and those who disagree.  It's definitely not for everyone and it's just an experiment for me to see how I feel.  You don't have to agree with me, and definitely don't have to follow the blog!  I'm sure there are some girls out there in similar situations, who are searching for ways to be healthy and find a new lifestyle.  <strong>And if anyone finds the blog interesting or helpful, that's great.  If people disagree or it disturbs them, they just don't need to read  it. </strong>

When you start a thread just to promote your blog and the blog is endorsing a method that many doctors consider extreme and even dangerous, people are not only allowed to post on this thread disagreeing with you but are encouraged to.  I'd hate to have an uninformed person jump on a juice diet just because they saw you do it.  It can be downright dangerous for some people.
  • Options
    I have no problem with someone disagreeing.  Like I said, there are arguments for both sides of the story.  Some doctors will say it's a bad idea, some will swear by it.  I'm not pushing it on anyone, or saying it's the greatest new thing.  I haven't even tried it yet.   I'm just stating that if it bothers you, you don't need to continue subjecting yourself to it by following the blog.  Second, I'm not endorsing this for anyone but myself.  It's just a story about how it goes for me.  If someone sees something interesting to them, I definitely think they should look into it before doing it.  I'm not an expert and did plenty of research of my own before deciding what to do.  And, as previously stated, the juicing is only a small part of the blog.  And, there will be hits and misses.  I could end up hating the juicing and that would be posted on the blog as well.  It's not meant to promote anything, but just to give an honest take on trying new things and how they work for me.  I'll be blogging my triumphs as well as failures, and those that find that interesting can follow it.  That was the only purpose of posting it on here.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_xp-trying-blogging?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4841ffbd-2a13-487d-9a69-98c9e84a4c67Post:3cbb1ee2-4569-4e08-a570-2c03807432dc">Re: XP: trying blogging!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have no problem with someone disagreeing.  Like I said, there are arguments for both sides of the story.  Some doctors will say it's a bad idea, some will swear by it.  I'm not pushing it on anyone, or saying it's the greatest new thing.  I haven't even tried it yet.   I'm just stating that if it bothers you, you don't need to continue subjecting yourself to it by following the blog.  Second, I'm not endorsing this for anyone but myself.  It's just a story about how it goes for me.  If someone sees something interesting to them, I definitely think they should look into it before doing it.  I'm not an expert and did plenty of research of my own before deciding what to do.  And, as previously stated, the juicing is only a small part of the blog.  And, there will be hits and misses.  I could end up hating the juicing and that would be posted on the blog as well.  It's not meant to promote anything, but just to give an honest take on trying new things and how they work for me.  I'll be blogging my triumphs as well as failures, and those that find that interesting can follow it.  That was the only purpose of posting it on here.

Duly noted.  You can put your blog link in your sig but further advertising it is against the TK rules.
  • Options
    Your arguments kind of suck, because no amount of juice cleanse will undo the years and years and years of damage that cause those issues in alcoholics or people with heart disease.

• Options
    No problem, didn't realize it was against knot rules since I didn't see it as advertising, and there aren't any adds in the blog.  And @ J&K, obviously those are exaggerated, althought real life, examples.  Your body needs to be respected and treated right.  But juicing has been shown to lower cholesterol and reverse some effects of cardiac disease.  Increasing your fruit and veggie intake is pretty much a staple of any diet or healthy life plan, even if it's just added as a supplement and not as your main nutrition.  And again, I will be getting protein from beans and different veggies, so this isn't strictly a juicing fast.  I think we all are aiming for the same thing and just have different ways of getting there.  Which is ok, because it takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_xp-trying-blogging?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4841ffbd-2a13-487d-9a69-98c9e84a4c67Post:dc9660fa-3141-4ad9-b170-26cbc6b6fc35">Re: XP: trying blogging!</a>:
    [QUOTE]No problem, didn't realize it was against knot rules since I didn't see it as advertising, and there aren't any adds in the blog. 

It's an iffy area.  Impossible to police everyone's blog to make sure they're not profiting off of the Knot.  No big deal giving it a shout-out.  We have had people on this board who mentioned every time they updated and that really comes off like an advert.  heck, I have a blog of my own.

I'd love it is we could have a sticky with everyone's blog links in it seperated by topic.  Love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards