Getting in Shape
Options

Help my dress doesn't fit

My wedding is 4 months Away and my wedding dress does not fit. I'm having a hard time getting to the gym because of my job. I need help I'm freaking out.

Re: Help my dress doesn't fit

• Options
    We need some more information.

How much does the dress "not fit"?  Is it three sizes too small, or just a little tight in certain areas?

How is your diet?  Are you currently drinking soda, eating fast food, etc?  That's your first step.  Sign up with a site like myfitnesspal.com or sparkpeople.com and start tracking your calories.

If you "don't have time" to go to the gym, I highly recommend picking up a video like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.  It takes 30 minutes.  Surely you can find 30 minutes a day to work out.  Or go for a walk every day.  You don't need a gym to lose weight and get in shape.

If you have 4 months, you could easily lose a decent amount of weight (1-2 pounds a week).  You just need to evaulate everything you eat and find ways to make time to work out.

HTH
  • Options
    It doesn't fit as in it is too small? Try something like my fitness pal to keep track of your diet. If you are eating too many calories - you won't lose anything. Even if you can't get to the gym or can't exercise really knowing what you're putting into your body changes everything. And of course as I always suggest to people, try going to the gym before work if you can't get there after.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Drink lots of water, no fruit after 2pm, not eating after 7pm and if you are hungry snack on veggies.  And I agree, Jillian Michael 30 day shred is incredible.  Mix that with her cleanse... and you are good to go!

I've lost 24 pounds in 2 months thanks to her!!!

Good luck, you will be beautiful
  • Options
    I understand that work can get in the way of working out sometimes.  What type of job do you work (office, etc.).  I try and do little things to "work out" while at work.  I have a lab bench I do a lot of work on so instead of sitting I will often stand.  Instead of emailing someone, I will walk over and speak directly with them.  I also try and take the stairs when I do work on a different floor versus taking the elevator.  In the developing room (dark room) I sometimes do calf raises or other little exercises while I'm waiting for film to come out of the developer (sounds silly but I'm by myself so who cares!).

How long is your lunch break?  You could take a walk for half and spend the other half eating if you have enough time.  Little things do add up and help.  The obviously aren't a replacement for a serious gym session, but being more active in general helps along with a healthy diet.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    If you have a Wii, I would suggest getting the Your Shape game, (it should be really cheap now). It comes with a camera so you dont have to hold the controllers. I love it! You can would on specific areas or just weight loss in general. If you have any game system, how about one of the dance games? They are a really good workout (and fun too!)! I would also try roller skating. Thats a full body workout!

Otherwise, just take the stairs as much as possible, and watch what you eat. Lots of fruits and veggies. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    70% diet and 30% gym... Even if you can't make it to the gym, then clean up your diet and you "should" be fine.  You have 4 months, so unless it is unattainably small, you can lose a good degree of weight in that time.

On diet, here are my recommendations:
    • Compelx carbs only at breakfast and lunch... think things like beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice.
    • Completely eliminate simple carbs and sugars from your diet... no more bread (even whole wheat), oatmeal, sugars, soda, candy, etc.
    • Limit yourself to 2-3 pieces of fruit a day - fruit is high in sucrose, which causes an insulin response.
    • Add HEALTHY fats to your diet... olive and sunflower oils for cooking, avacados, nuts, etc.  These will help you feel satisfied and there are studies that show that adding healthy fats while coming off of sugars limits the "withdrawl" symptoms.
    • Eats tons of veggies
    • Don't go "salad crazy"... you won't feel full, salad dressing is bad (either bad fats or carbs)
    • Focus on getting tons of protein
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I work as a hospice nurse so I travel all day. I don't eat fast food or junk. I drink one soda a day to lose my migraines although I'm trying to cut it out. I don't know how small my dress is it fit when it came in. I cannot get it over my hips which are big anyway. My lunch is whenever I take it which is usually a salad. Im home at different times everyday so getting to the gym is tough also because work is not usually done when I walk in the door. After a certain time my gym is too busy. I'm going to try and start getting up before work but I can't do that everyday. Thanks for all the input so far.
  • Options
    Based on the added info, definitely track your calories and limit them to a healthy number.  Exercise helps but diet is more important.  Switch from soda to tea/coffee - just cutting out the chemicals in soda will help - to get you the caffeine you need to manage your migraines.  Follow the excellent diet tips PPs have noted.

If the gym is hard to get to, I really recommend at-home workout videos.  It's so much easier to motivate yourself when you don't have to walk or drive all the way to the gym.  Also, it's much less crowded.  :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_help-my-dress-doesnt-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f46b0889-080b-45c3-983d-39456ef0ce7bPost:963eda7f-db03-4d60-b013-c63217f30b16">Re: Help my dress doesn't fit</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work as a hospice nurse so I travel all day. I don't eat fast food or junk. I drink one soda a day to lose my migraines although I'm trying to cut it out. I don't know how small my dress is it fit when it came in. I cannot get it over my hips which are big anyway. My lunch is whenever I take it which is usually a salad. Im home at different times everyday so getting to the gym is tough also because work is not usually done when I walk in the door. After a certain time my gym is too busy. I'm going to try and start getting up before work but I can't do that everyday. Thanks for all the input so far.
    Posted by lil18woody[/QUOTE]

<div>At the end of the day, you can make excuses about why you CAN'T do it, or find ways that you CAN.  EVERYONE faces challenges... I do a lot of travel, many times out of the country, for work.  I work long hours too, and because I work with teams in Asia, sometimes have conference calls lasting late into the evening.  My job is high pressure, fast paced, high stress and high visibility.  If I can make it work... then anyone can.  You're not facing anything "special"... if you want this to work, you need to make a commitment to yourself, and keep it.</div>
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_help-my-dress-doesnt-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f46b0889-080b-45c3-983d-39456ef0ce7bPost:963eda7f-db03-4d60-b013-c63217f30b16">Re: Help my dress doesn't fit</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work as a hospice nurse so I travel all day. I don't eat fast food or junk. I drink one soda a day to lose my migraines although I'm trying to cut it out. I don't know how small my dress is it fit when it came in. <strong>I cannot get it over my hips which are big anyway.</strong> My lunch is whenever I take it which is usually a salad. Im home at different times everyday so getting to the gym is tough also because work is not usually done when I walk in the door. After a certain time my gym is too busy. I'm going to try and start getting up before work but I can't do that everyday. Thanks for all the input so far.
    Have you tried putting it on over your head?  Usually dresses go over hips better from the top than starting with your legs first.  It might also give you a better idea of how much weight you need to lost/how "too small" it actually is.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I work as a hospice nurse so I travel all day. I don't eat fast food or junk. I drink one soda a day to lose my migraines although I'm trying to cut it out. I don't know how small my dress is it fit when it came in. I cannot get it over my hips which are big anyway. My lunch is whenever I take it which is usually a salad. <strong>Im home at different times everyday so getting to the gym is tough also because work is not usually done when I walk in the door. After a certain time my gym is too busy. I'm going to try and start getting up before work but I can't do that everyday.</strong> Thanks for all the input so far.

Luckily, all of the advice here is in-home workouts.  You shouldn't have any trouble adding 30 minutes of workouts to your day... be it in the morning or after work.

It's a pain to get started, but you'll find a routine.

If I'm watching TV at the end of the day, I do crunches, tricep dips, etc... those are free!  If you want, you can get some light handweights (3-5lbs) to do curls or add a balance ball. 
  • Options
    I can  understand your dilemma. The thing here is to make the most of what you can and have. I can understand that sometimes at the end of a long day the last thing you want to do is exercise, so make it the first thing you do each day and get it over with. Next, if for whatever reason you can't make it to the gym on a particular day then exercise every hour that you are at work. Sounds crazy, right? Well , if you can take 2-3 minutes every hour to perform an all emcompassing exercise to boost up your metabolism throughout the day, then you have it made for the day.

For example, perform as many burpees as you can in those two minutes or perform a minutes of push-up and a minute of jump lunges/jump squats every hour.

Be sure not to "forget" to eat because you don't want to slow down your metabolism either.

Don't give up what you want most, for what you want now.

Send me a message if you have questions. Visit my blog: jennyfersblog.com
  • Options
    I also have a crazy job where I get home at different times everyday. What has helped me: Dont go home after work. Pack a bag of gym clothes and leave it in your car. My gym gets crazy busy at times too amd I try to avoid it but dont make that an excuse to not go. Occasionally I have to go during the crazy busy time, because that all the time I have. As long as you can get on a piece of cardio equipment for a while and do a couple of machines, I would call that a success. Better then going home and doing nothing.  If you are looking to workout at home, I would also suggest the 30 day shred.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    This is going to sound harsh but all I'm hearing is excuses.  Nothing will change if you don't change.  You can't lose weight or get in shape if you don't try or make time.

Everyone CAN get up an hour early to workout...but many make excuses and would rather sleep in.  I think if you take a hard look at your life and lifestyle there are things you can change to be healthier and, in turn, drop some weight to fit into your dress.

Sorry for being the downer but this is something you can't sugarcoat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would just like to encourage you and say that you have the ability to do anything that you put your mind to. Don't let anyone else on here put you down or make you feel badly about yourself or feel like you are making excuses... you have valid points and there is nothing wrong with asking for help/advice with something... that is what this whole forum is for!
     Look at your career, you are obviously someone that is in an emotionally and physically stressful job day in and day out and I can understand how its hard to come home from all that and have the energy to work out.  Just make sure that in the next four months you give to yourself for a change... think of the 30 minute work-out as a gift that you deserve to make yourself feel better after a long day of giving to all of your patients.

You will be a beautiful bride and I admire the fact that you posted on here to get advice... from one bride to be to another... good luck and you can do it!!! :)
  • Options
    Really your goals are about 80% diet. So my suggestion is to make sure your eating at least 6 times a day. Have protein with every meal. (lean Protein) 2  complex carb meals per day best eaten earlier in the day or one post workout. This meaning brown rice, oats, sweet potatoes. i would cut out bread at this point and anything white such as breads, white rice, sugar. Cut out processed foods and the diet soda. Eat lots of green veggies. Drink a gallon of water. Make it a point to get a workout in. I was working 40+ hours a week, in school fulltime, and I'm a parent as well and I managed to get in the gym at least 5 days a week. It can be done if you want it bad enough.
    My motto "No Excuses"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I bought my dress at a salon I know what size it is I just don't know how much small it is. I bought a Jillian michaels DVD I will keep you updated
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_help-my-dress-doesnt-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:f46b0889-080b-45c3-983d-39456ef0ce7bPost:8535f31e-bdac-4969-97e6-b3338eaed5a6">Re: Help my dress doesn't fit</a>:
    [QUOTE]It doesn't fit as in it is too small? <strong>Try something like my fitness pal to keep track of your diet. If you are eating too many calories - you won't lose anything. Even if you can't get to the gym or can't exercise really knowing what you're putting into your body changes everything</strong>. And of course as I always suggest to people, try going to the gym before work if you can't get there after.
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I don't exercise like I should, but if I am good and count my calories, I still lose weight.

You can exercise all day (not literally) and not lose any weight if you are eating too much. Calories are important, so you should keep track of them somehow. (Counting, Weight Watchers, etc.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_help-my-dress-doesnt-fit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:f46b0889-080b-45c3-983d-39456ef0ce7bPost:963eda7f-db03-4d60-b013-c63217f30b16">Re: Help my dress doesn't fit</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work as a hospice nurse so I travel all day. I don't eat fast food or junk. I drink one soda a day to lose my migraines although I'm trying to cut it out. I don't know how small my dress is it fit when it came in. I cannot get it over my hips which are big anyway. My lunch is whenever I take it which is usually a salad. Im home at different times everyday so getting to the gym is tough also because work is not usually done when I walk in the door. After a certain time my gym is too busy. I'm going to try and start getting up before work but I can't do that everyday. Thanks for all the input so far.

I would keep track of your calories. (Myfitnesspal.com or myplate) it will calculate how many calories you should be eating with your weightloss goal.

It sounds like you could either be eating too many calories at one time (like a big dinner) or not eating enough and your body is in starvation mode.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Go in and exchange it for another dress. Do you really need more to stress about before the wedding? A couple extra pounds are not a big deal !
  • Options
    I think everything was said, but also if you work at an office job, you could always get one of those fitness balls to sit on instead of an office chair. My roommate did that, and she said it helped her lose a little weight, but also helped her pay attention and gave her better posture!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dumb question.. but is it unzipped all the way down? i know you might think that its fully unzipped but it might not be. check that & if not then diet and work out :) good luck!!
  • Options
    My zipper is snug to get up....any suggestions I don't want to stress about having to drop weight its just the back zipper is pulling a little :( Help please!!!!
  • Options
    More water; less salt! You'll notice a difference right away if you monitor this. Good luck! You can do a lot in 4 months. I promise!!! You'll be beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    4 months is a long time...you really just need to try to fit in some "me" time whenever you can.  All exercise is cumulative...so no matter what, doing something is better than doing nothing...and every little bit adds up through the day/week/month.  Drink lots of water.  If you have a pair of light dumbells at home, I would do a little bit of weight lifting a couple/few times a week.  Lifting weights helps burn fat.  It doesn't have to be a heavy dumbell and it doesn't have to be a lot of reps, again something is better than doing nothing.  If you get a lunch break each day, walk on your break and eat your lunch at your desk while working.  A 1/2 hour brisk walk goes a long way.  Last but not least, don't stress about it, that only makes things worst!
  • Options
    So far i've done the jillian dvd's the last two nights. I have never been this sore and I played soccer in high school. My dress can be taken out a size I just don't want to do it. the salon owner already told me not to worry but how can a bride not worry. It's our jobs. I have a lot done already which helps but added to the stress of planning a wedding is drama with family. Why does planning a wedding bring out the worst in people?
  • Options
    like other people have said, you have 4 months and it's totally doable!
    I started working out and monitoring my calories (though I'm not strict AT ALL on the calories on the weekend i.e. I drink a lot of red wine and eat about 2 unhealthy meals). Anyways, in the last 6 weeks I have lost 8lbs and 11inches. I know people say it's all about diet, but for me I know it's been the exercise that has helped me the most. I should also add I don't have a ton to lose (I'm 5'4 and started at 143)
    For my workouts I've been doing a Jillian video (I alternate between 30 day shred, ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack and yoga meltdown - clearly I like Jillian videos!). All these videos are only 30 min each.
    Again, you can totally do it!!
  • Options
    If you can't manage one 30 minute workout, aim for 10 minute spurts. I bus everywhere I go and I do arm/leg exersizes while I wait between busses, for example. Build in other forms of exersize into your daily routine - like parking in the back-40 of the parking lot at the grocery store, or taking the stairs instead of the elevators. Also, cut back on the salt and drink lots of water; you may be retaining liquid that you don't need.
  • Options
    Last winter I started the 400 calorie diet books. Teaches you portion amount. The first 2 weeks are a little hard but its a jump start. No soda, juice or alcohol first two weeks. 400 calorie each meal - You get snacks after the two weeks but i lost about 6 or so pounds in the first two weeks. 13 pounds overall. I want to go back on with the sancks to maintain better and loose the last 5lbs.

I understand the crazy work schedule. I have an unrelenting one. The hardest for me was cutting the cola and excerin does help.  Good luck!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards