Canada-Ontario

budget options for venues/reception? Help!

My fiance and I are trying to figure out if we can afford a wedding in Toronto. I've looked at Currie Hall, 99 Sudbury, Hart House, the Gardiner, Enoch Turner (and the others), etc but with the hall, food, alcohol and labour, the cost for the reception alone is at least $16,000, likely more! I'm looking at Noble culinary and the Food Dudes given their good reviews.
Given that I'm currently in the US ( I just moved from Toronto but wanted it there as most of my friends are there), so we'd have to factor in hotel, flights, etc- this seems like for 60-80 ppl closer to $20,000 is common. This blows my mind. I just want a nice celebration, feed people, dance, and have a good time at a decent place. It doesn't have to be super fancy,- we're more artsy/outdoorsy, but this seems madness.

Am I dreaming to try to have this for under $15,000? Even better would be closer to $10,000. Help!

Re: budget options for venues/reception? Help!

• I'm having a wedding for 80 guests for $9000 in Toronto, but that's because we're doing a lot of DIY projects in the mix and skipping the videographer and limo. 

If you're artsy/outdoorsy and not in need of fancy/traditional elements, it can be done.  Consider renting out a small gallery in Distillery District, or Todmorden Mills and the like.  We're doing our at the Granite Brewery, including ceremony in the rear garden - the pictures on their website aren't the best; google weddings and that venue and you'll find a shoot from a wedding there that's more indicative.

Long story short:  just keep delving out of the usual boxes, prioritze what matters most and what you're not that in need of, and go with it.

Oh!  Our photographer is awesome and pretty inexpensive for Toronto - bongopix. 

Non-floral centrepieces will save money too.  Maybe hit the budget/DIY areas of the boards for advice?
  • You can try the McNeill room which is on top of Whistler`s.  Prices start at $25 per person, plus if you`d like to have open bar I think it`s another $25 per person.  Also try Waterside Inn in Port Credit - prices start at around $78 per person.  You can also try Bluffer`s Restaurant at the Scarborough Bluffs.

When are you planning on having it? If you don`t have a date yet, think about having it in the off season - October-March.  That will save you some money.  Like PPs said, doing a lot of DIY will help too.  You can get bridal gowns at Windfall Bridal, David`s Bridal, The Bride`s Project and Elizabeth Stuart Discount Bridal for less than $1000 dollars, at some places less than 3.

If you`re having it in the summer, maybe consider an outdoor BBQ.  Or how about renting a room at one of the community centres and having it catered there.  In Brampton, there`s also the Peel Police Banquet Hall = they`ll charge $900 plus tax for the hall and then it`s cash bar there,but you can pay by consumption and just have a caterer there. 

There are a lot of options, all it really comes down to is what you envision your wedding to be like.  Then you can make a better decision.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• I agree with Jewel and the McNeil Room. We are having our reception there and they have been very accomidating and the price is very reasonable. It's a pretty great location.
  • Oh!  I forgot:  Toronto Argonaut Club.  It's 450 for the space plus 450 min. mandatory for booze plus 200 for ceremony on site.  You can bring in your own catering/food.  I loved the place but food worked out cheaper at the venue we went with ($50 pp incl, open bar)
  • likeadeadstar    Where  did you say you were getting married? 50pp and open bar?? that is an amazing deal!!! If you wouldn't mind telling us that is...

• Jmatth - she's doing hers at the Granite Brewery down on Eglinton and Mount Pleasant - see her first post after your original post.  I've been there, but not for a wedding.  They brew their own beer, which is good stuff and their private courtyard is nice. :D But I've heard weddings there are lovely.
  • Our wedding ceremony and reception are shaping up to be about $11K (including decor, tax, tips, photography, etc), and we're renting a historic house in Markham that we can do both at.  We're looking at a guest list of about 80 people - if fewer people show up, obviously the costs will go down a bit.

We are also able to supply our own alcohol for the wedding, which I am sure has helped with the cost.  I've also used some online deals for things like a photo guest book, manicures and pedicures, etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_budget-options-venuesreception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:0db52b70-9608-47f1-916a-a68523bf62c5Post:3468aae7-94aa-4232-ad2b-0f44136cbf0c">Re: budget options for venues/reception? Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]likeadeadstar    Where  did you say you were getting married? 50pp and open bar?? that is an amazing deal!!! If you wouldn't mind telling us that is...
    Posted by Jmatth01[/QUOTE]

Jewel beat me to it, but yes, the Granite.  It was perfectly wuirky, the rich greens and courtyard perfect for our theme, and the owner's super nice.  The price ranges depending on what meal option you choose, but we're going buffet, and option 1 or 2, so $49.95 pp or $52.95 pp.  Each includes wine with dinner and four hours of open bar, which is fine by me!  You can add on more options for the open bar in terms of imports beers etc for another $7.50 pp - since we don't have to finalize until two weeks out, if budget allows, we're probably doing that too, although the standard open bar is more than adequate to get everyone in our crowd happily drunk if desired.

There's a $250 fee for ceremony on site, no fee for the room itself beyond the meals, 75 guests min. to have exclusive use of the patio after the ceremony (or you can pay the equiv of - we're expecting 80, but plan to pay that min. to have the courtyard/patio to ourselves). 

I'm happy to share it; I stumbled onto it on a Chowhound thread of all places after months of Google searching.
  • You might want to think of other creative ways to cut costs. Such as skipping a whole meal. Have a cocktail or dessert reception, for example. Keep the bar a host bar, but make it limited to beer & wine and maybe a signature cocktail.

If you make this sort of adjustment, you should be able to keep it within your budget and still have the Toronto wedding you're hoping for!
  • This is super helpful- thanks! I'll check out the granite brewery and the McNeil room- those prices seem MUCH more reasonable than what we've been looking at. I did get my dress from the Brides' Project for $400, and will be doing my own flowers, hair, etc. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_budget-options-venuesreception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:0db52b70-9608-47f1-916a-a68523bf62c5Post:35b2c5a4-f9f9-4e60-be15-36f636215481">Re: budget options for venues/reception? Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved the place but food worked out cheaper at the venue we went with ($50 pp incl, open bar)
    Posted by likeadeadstar[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>LOL so where did you go with? Or is it a secret?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_budget-options-venuesreception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:0db52b70-9608-47f1-916a-a68523bf62c5Post:0c421360-a1d1-4a6c-8082-9f69e5b9758b">Re: budget options for venues/reception? Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: budget options for venues/reception? Help! : LOL so where did you go with? Or is it a secret?
    Posted by ambersthebride[/QUOTE]

It's been said twice already in this thread: Granite Brewery and Pub
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards