Registry and Gift Forum

parent gifts

I know gifts are usually given to parents as a thank you for help with wedding planning and finacial aid. But I have a problem. My mom has contributed nothing but headaches and really bad advice while my fiance's parents have been a huge help and are paying for the reception.

Would it be tacky to give them a gift and not my mom? My mom is moving away very soon after the wedding so she probably wouldn't even find out that we gave his parents a gift and not her.

What kind of gift should we be considering anyways?
Soon-to-be Mrs Urbanowicz Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: parent gifts

• The gift is to thank your parents for being parents, and for raising you.   Unless your mom was completely absent from your life, then I would make sure you get her something.   

We got both sets of parents gift cards/gift certificates to nice restaraunts.  For your mom you could also do a spa day if she likes spa treatments, or anything else you think she might like. Shop like it's her birthday or mother's day.
    DSC_9275
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_parent-gifts-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ec949270-166a-43aa-b3cd-d4838a05a560Post:51306862-0dd7-4383-a3c8-8f6dec729dfb">Re: parent gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The gift is to thank your parents for being parents, and for raising you.</strong>   Unless your mom was completely absent from your life, then I would make sure you get her something.    We got both sets of parents gift cards/gift certificates to nice restaraunts.  For your mom you could also do a spa day if she likes spa treatments, or anything else you think she might like. Shop like it's her birthday or mother's day.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>I was just going to say the exact same thing.</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jordin2012Jordin2012 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    You need to get mom something, even if it's very small or not a big deal. The gifts to both sets of parents are for being your parents, not for how much they helped you plan your wedding. I'm giving my mother an engraved jewelry box and his mother something much less expensive yet meaningful. It really just depends on the person.
    Newly married and newly pregnant! We are so excited!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards