Connecticut
Options

FYI- Starry Night DJ (Tom)

Had a really weird encounter via email with Tom from Starry Night over the past month or so and thought I'd share as a warning in case you are considering him..

I started by emailing him asking for his rate for my wedding next year.  Got an email from him with an extremely competitive rate, which kept me interested.. but he emailed me quite a bit insisting that he "promised me a great wedding", which I found to be very nagging.  I talked with him over the phone and he seemed fine, however, I'm not the type to book before checking out other options.  As most vendors I've talked to, Tom said he'd let me know if he got any other requests for my wedding date. (This is pretty customary, right?)

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I met with one other DJ and we decided to book with him this past week.. so I emailed Tom after we sent our deposit to the other DJ to let him know so he could keep the date open for another event  This was his response:

"Thank you [name]!
I already booked the date anyway!
tom"

Maybe it's just me, but I was beside myself... thinking not only that it was rude but that he never indicated to me that someone else was considering using him for the date.  Obviously it worked out in my favor for this particular case, but I just wanted to send a warning out there to any of you who might be considering this company OR just in general for all vendors... that this could happen!

Hope you've all had good experiences booking your vendors... unfortunately, the venue and DJ are the only vendors I've booked so far but hope to finish booking for my March wedding by the end of October!

Anniversary

Re: FYI- Starry Night DJ (Tom)

• Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, that is strange.  Doesn't sound terribly professional.

I found that most of my vendors worked on a "first come, first served" basis.  Meaning, if I was the first to inquire about a certain date, they would not book with another bride for either 2 weeks, or until I had confirmed that I was going elsewhere.

Oh well, at least it worked out for the best.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Strange you would say that - I had a similar encounter. He kept emailing me and once I said we had booked another DJ his response: Make sure the DJ you booked does (blank) and (blank) he went on and on and then said I would not find better than him.

Wow! Very unprofessional Tom.
  • Options
    jaime10285jaime10285 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just booked him....hope I don't regret this.....

What date is your wedding? Just curious.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow that's really unprofessional.  When we were initially looking at vendors, they said the same thing- that they would hold our date for a couple weeks and let us know if anyone inquires while we decide so I think that is customary.  We were also looking to book 18+ months in advance so they were probably better able to hold our date.  His response just sounds childish though-who knows if he had even booked your date.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jaime- My wedding date is March 31, 2012, so looks like it wasn't you ;-)

Vanessa- Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking too..!! (who knows if he even booked with someone.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    DJ's are so sketch like that.  I had a similar encounter with Powerstation.  The guy couldn't accept the fact that we went with DJ Melee because he didn't know him and because he was in our price range and willing to make our wedding as unique as we wanted it.  The guy from Powerstation didn't want to do that for us so we said forget it and he also had a childish response.  He  could have left it as "I wish you the best of luck" but in my eyes he burned his bridges with me and with anyone else that I may encounter looking for a DJ.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad to know it wasn't me!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    LandB2012LandB2012 member
    edited December 2011
    So strange ! We were looking to make an appointment with him but I can't stand pushy vendors!  It always takes us weeks to make decisions.  Thanks for sharing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_fyi-starry-night-dj-tom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:c02501bb-edff-49eb-ac04-210884ad1220Post:a14876bc-fdb7-4a14-aa96-dcd8eee02608">Re: FYI- Starry Night DJ (Tom)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Strange you would say that - I had a similar encounter. He kept emailing me and once I said we had booked another DJ his response: Make sure the DJ you booked does (blank) and (blank) he went on and on and then said I would not find better than him. Wow! Very unprofessional Tom.
    Posted by Lenny521[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened with me!

After I told him we went with someone else, I got back an email saying something like 'be sure he actually will BE at your wedding and will listen to you and not play whatever he wants' I just found it SO unprofessional
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow I'm really surprised to hear that, as we had an amazing experience with him. He kept in touch with us throughout the planning process (we booked over a year in advance) and made sure to meet with us again a few weeks before the wedding to finalize the play list and do not play list. He was nothing but professional and did an amazing job at our wedding of knowing when and what to say/play and keeping our dance floor packed all night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_fyi-starry-night-dj-tom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:c02501bb-edff-49eb-ac04-210884ad1220Post:5d4737b1-5626-45db-b8da-fe74fb877b31">Re: FYI- Starry Night DJ (Tom)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow I'm really surprised to hear that, as we had an amazing experience with him. He kept in touch with us throughout the planning process (we booked over a year in advance) and made sure to meet with us again a few weeks before the wedding to finalize the play list and do not play list. He was nothing but professional and did an amazing job at our wedding of knowing when and what to say/play and keeping our dance floor packed all night.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]

This makes me feel better about going with him!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know I already posted, but I got a very ramdom email from Tom today:
    I'm Tom Salatto (owner Starry Nite DJs - www.StarryNiteDJs.com). We met at David's Bridal earlier in the year, and you asked me to email you regarding your Nov. 10, 2012 wedding when the time gets closer.
    And then it had all his marketing information.

What do I find weird, I NEVER met him at David's or anywhere. I had found his name and emailed him a while back, but nothing else. I know it could be just a mistake, but I find it weird.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_fyi-starry-night-dj-tom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:c02501bb-edff-49eb-ac04-210884ad1220Post:a14876bc-fdb7-4a14-aa96-dcd8eee02608">Re: FYI- Starry Night DJ (Tom)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Strange you would say that - I had a similar encounter. <strong>He kept emailing me and once I said we had booked another DJ his response: Make sure the DJ you booked does (blank) and (blank) he went on and on and then said I would not find better than him.</strong> Wow! Very unprofessional Tom.

This is the exact response that I got too when I told him that we decided to go with another DJ.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_fyi-starry-night-dj-tom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:c02501bb-edff-49eb-ac04-210884ad1220Post:a14876bc-fdb7-4a14-aa96-dcd8eee02608">Re: FYI- Starry Night DJ (Tom)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Strange you would say that - I had a similar encounter. He kept emailing me and once I said we had booked another DJ his response:<strong> Make sure the DJ you booked does (blank) and (blank) he went on and on and then said I would not find better than him.</strong> Wow! Very unprofessional Tom.

I know that that statement may rub people the wrong way, and I hate to say it but he is definitely right. Other than DJ Melee you're not going to find another dj as cheap as he is nevermind his experience. He's been in the business for over 20 years and really knows what he's doing, plus you can't beat his price. He mentioned this to us when we originally met with him, so it came off a lot better than it would in a response email. I think if I read it in an email as opposed to hearing it and the tone of his voice I may have felt the same way.
  • Options
    Amazing817Amazing817 member
    First Anniversary First Answer Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In all honesty, I "thought" I had great contact with DJ Melee and turns out he went ahead and booked with someone else. It really upset me but I do beleive everything happens for a reason. I have no problem taking my money as well letting my friends know not to use him. Most of our other vendors gave us some time to think about it and work the budget, he is so popular that I guess he doesn't need to do that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's true that vendors have to work first-come, first serve. The only time we can "hold a date" is when there is a definite interest - if we actually sit with someone. It's business, and in this business, where there are hundreds of CT vendors, it's sometimes impossible to wait. If a bride inquires regarding a specific date, but doesn't follow up for 3 weeks, the date has to remain open. Again, if I sit with a couple, I always give them some time to book me, and I DO call if someone else wants the date. But the couple I SAT with Always gets priority.

Regarding DJs...there are many good ones, many bad. My guide is...
    1) References - go to their site and read ALL their References. Make sure they're for the DJ Playing your wedding, not the company itself! and make sure you can contact the brides who wrote them. This by far the most important tip.
    2) Sit with them and make sure they Care for you, and will PLAN your wedding with you, and the Coordinate everything the night of the reception. You've seen too many DJs "Show up and Throw Up", just standing behind the console, playing with IPhones while the computer spews out Top 40 - even during dinner! Again, check for Stellar References/Testimonials!  If you can, you have to take the time to sit with them. You'll know if they are "Car Salesmen" or genuinely care for you. Some of us DO really care

There are many more tips at http://www.starrynitedjs.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards