Michigan-Detroit
Options

Wedding Flowers

I am getting married in Detroit in May and need to select a florist.  I am trying to have an idea of how much I want to spend before talking with anyone but I have no idea what cost is reasonable.  Any ideas on a range for a wedding of 75 with two groomsmen/bridesmaids?

Chrissy

Re: Wedding Flowers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Silk Thumb Florist in Wyandotte was GREAT to work with - they work with what you want within your budget. (Even though it's called "Silk Thumb -" they used real flowers for my centerpieces, fyi)
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a bit larger wedding party (4 BM, 4 GM)but I ordered online and bought flowers in person from Costco. If any of your family or friends live near a Costco in the Detroit area, it would work.

I ordered the 20 piece white rose wedding package from Costco.com for $399.00. They allow you to change your order if you need fewer centerpieces and want more bouquets, etc. They were LOVELY and lasted over 2 weeks! (Their standard order is 2 BM bouquets, with several centerpieces)

Also, our Costco has a flower kiosk where you can buy lovely floral arrangements for about $17. I asked at the customer service desk and they have an actual florist who does the arranging. They gave me her phone number. I called her and ordered for pickup, 3 days before the wedding, 9 dozen white vendela roses, 70 stems of white asiatic lillies and 2 huge bunches of baby's breath for $177. When I picked them up I was able to see them in person, they were fabulous! She handed them over in buckets that I kept in the basement so they could bloom more, after adding the floral food. I thought I had an exclusive "in" for a floral source. She told me when I picked these up that she does about 18 weddings a week! I don't know if Sam's has the same type of set-up for local stores.

Below is the rose centerpiece, with baby's breath. I used green floral foam inserted in the silver vases I got from a local florist going out of business for $5 each.

This is the centerpiece I made with the Asiatic Lillies (it came with the long grasses) and baby's breath. I purchased "jelly balls" from www.lacrafts.com. Each bag was enough for a 9" tall cylinder vase, they had the cheapest price I could find.

I made all 10 of the centerpieces the morning before the wedding, then put them in the basement to stay cool.

I had a lot of the lillies left over, I overbought. But the thing about lillies is that they open upward.......... the bottom flowers open first, then they open up along the stem. You have to have them at least 3 days before the wedding for that to occur.
  • Options
    jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Tammara from Grand Jour Events did our wedding. They flowers were fabulous, although we just had bouquets/corsages..no table flowers. Her prices are INCREDIBLY resonable...there is always April Oboza too..She is really resonable.
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Options
    db1985db1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to go with either Linnaea Floral Designs (she is in Grand Rapids but will travel to anywhere in MI) or A Touch of Glass in Trenton, MI.  We have meetings set up this month to meet in person and decide which.  For an idea of price, we are getting a bridal bouquet, 4 small bridesmaid bouquets, 9 bouts, and 7 coursages with pink roses and gerbara daisies.  Both places have quoted us around $400.

I have also heard good things about Silk Thumb in Wyandotte, but they were quite a bit higher (around $600) so i guess it depends how many flowers you need and what your budget is.
  • Options
    larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second April Irelynn Designs....

did all of our bouquets, centerpieces, aisle decor (we had white lillies in little julep cups), bouts, etc.  Everything was amazingly done and insanely cheap.
  • Options
    I am using Silk Thumb Florist too. They are a family owned business and are truly amazing to work with. They have centerpieces that start at $15 per table and offer so much helpful information and advice. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards