Massachusetts-Boston

Small wedding and Small budget

Hi Brides to be!

My Fiance and I are both from NYC, we recently moved to Waltham.  We got engage about 2 month ago.  I am looking for a nice venue for about 30-50 people.  I don't want to pay a rental/site fee (I think is silly to pay a rental fee if i'm also paying for food and drinks).  My budget is 5-7000 for both food and drinks.  I just want a unique place that won't cost me as much as my student loans! We want to get marry in the fall of 2013 on any Sunday.   I can work with places like the Gore place and bring my own caterer  to keep the cost down.  ( the Gore place rental fee is not to crazy...only $1500 for a fall sunday wedding)   That means that I will take the $1500 from the food and drinks money.  Please help I am not sure where to even start.  Everywhere I look its to much money or its just not cute. 

Thank you in advance for your advice!!!!

Re: Small wedding and Small budget

• Where have you looked? Fall is expensive in New England.

My venue, Black Swan, in Georgetown, is beautiful and reasonable. I'd definitely check it out.  We're on a tight budget too, and we've been able to do everything incredibly reasonably.
  • What about a restaurant? Wayside Inn could be nice.  There's also Grill 23(although most rooms are max 40), The Beehive, Upstairs on the Square. Search the board also for RD recs.
  • Do u think summer will be less expensive? We looked at the Codman estate and it was not nice unless you get a tent. Tomorrow we are going to the State room in Boston and to the Hamsphere house by Boston commons. I'll call Black swan tomorrow and check then out! Thank you so much!
  • Wayside inn is nice but my fiance want something a bit more modern. I had my company's holiday party there and I liked very much. I'll call grill 23 tomorrow and get more info! Thank you so much.
  • 99% of places have their off season pricing start in November, so just go with whatever month you want.

Don't forget if you rent a place and bring in your own caterer you also have to bring in your own tables, chairs, glasses, silverware, plates, cooking equip, etc.  I'm having 130 people, but the rentals (not including the site fee) were almost the same cost as the food. 
  • Hi! I am getting married at the Hampshire House in November and would recommend them so far.  I told them what I was willing to spend and they were able to work with my budget.  We also saved a lot of money by moving the date from October to November.  Sunday should be less expensive than Saturday too. 

I would recommend looking at Mistral or Moo too.  They were too small for my wedding but the food and prices are very good.
  • If you like Gore Place check out Bradley Estate . So much nicer!!!!!!!!!!! Once you see it I am sure that you will book the place.
  • Summer is prime time in Boston. Sundays might get you a little break, but not much. My friend had her wedding at the State Room in 2010 on a Sunday afternoon for 110 people and it was $26,000.  Not cheap at all!!!
  • LeoEddie2013LeoEddie2013 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Thank you all so much!!! I'm going to do some serious calling this week to all of the places you guys recommended. Once I have my venue I'll need more help! Thank you all again.
  • Would you consider having a wedding in southern New Hampshire? I've noticed that the further you are from Boston the cheaper it gets. We've looked at Brookstone Park in Derry, NH over the weekend and we liked it. It's a country club setting, so we liked the idea of having all that pretty scenery for our wedding pictures. They don't charge a rental fee but they do have a food minimum charge. It is $4,800 on a Sunday, which I personally don't think is that much compared to other places we've looked at. They also let you have the ceremony on site if that is something you are interested in. I believe they are hosting an open house tonight if it sounds like something you might like and you don't mind the drive. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My brother and law and his wife got married at the Chocksett Inn -- very nice facility about an hour from Boston. I believe they got a really good deal. They have a large and a small room.

• HI ladies,

Thank for all of your help.  We finally pick our venue and we are going to have our reception at the Alden Castle (veronie I think that was the name before they changed it).  They work with my budget, and gave me labor day weekend which was great since everyone who is coming is traveling! Thank you all agan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards