Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Importance of second photographer?

Hello everyone! 
I'm trying to decide if I should go with a photography package with 2 photographers or one photographer and an assistant. Any opinions? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Importance of second photographer?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There's a lot to consider with that. I know a lot of people think a second photographer is better but I bet there are just as many brides here who would say they got a TON of photos of the same thing and that not all of the photos were on the same quality (usually second shooters are less experienced). Think about how many guests you're having. I would say weddings with 175 or more guests it would be good to have another camera there but otherwise it might be a better investment to hire one really amazing experienced photographer rather than a good one and an ok one. I'm always one for quality over quantity, but that's just me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A second shooter can come in handy during the ceremony because there is usually a lot going on in a short amount of time and it's hard to move to the front and the back constantly to get all the angles.  But if you communicate with your photographer, he/she can get the shots that are most important to you and a second shooter won't be necessary.

As the PP stated, a second shooter is often less experienced and will often just provide more photos of the same stuff.  In most situations, you will be just fine putting your money elsewhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2 shooters are a lot better to have, but ONLY if they've worked with your photographer and know the style/habits.... otherwise, yes, all they'll do is echo the shots that your photographer is taking.

my suggestion is to ask a lot of questions and interview potential candidates.  I asked my photographer about it, and it turns out that his 2nd shooter is his fiance!  so you KNOW they'll work well together.  he even explained how/where they stand to capture the perfect moments.

also, be wary of companies who contract out other photographers. the quality may not be the same as what you've seen in sample photos.

it may also be an option to have 1 for the ceremony, but 2 for the reception, to catch all the 'fun moments'. again, figure out whats really important to you, and ask a lot of questions! =)
  • Options
    LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that you should ask the photographer whom you are interested in, what they think! I'm a pro photographer (as well as a bride) and there are instances in which I'd tell the bride she NEEDS to choose a package with a second photographer and other instances where she does not. For example, if you were asking me, I'd want to know if you were going to do a first look (where you and your groom see each other before the wedding) because I would want a second camera on another angle for that moment. Other circumstances in which I'd want a second shooter = for a night ceremony  where I need extra help with lighting, very large guest counts (agree with PP with 175 +), lots of locations (different places for dressing / ceremony / reception) and if you want the guys being photographed while getting ready at another venue than where you are getting ready. But there are plenty of times that I don't need a second shooter and I'm sure to tell couples that who are looking to save $. So definitely ask the photographer! 
  • Options
    jusayangejusayange member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The importance of the second photographer is directly correlated with the skill of that photographer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards