Getting in Shape
Options

Recipe Share: Healthy Mussels "Fra Diavolo" with Quinoa

Hello,
Just wanted to share a quick recipe. I'm an oddly good cook, though I hate cooking, and I was so amazed at how quickly dinner came to be tonight. 

A few weeks ago, I made a fra diavolo red sauce and froze the leftovers. 

Tonight:
I brought the rest of the fra diavolo (about 1.5 cups) and 1 cup of white wine to a simmer in a large wok-type pan. I bought 2 lbs of mussels, which I steamed over the red sauce for approximately 7-8 minutes in the wok. 

Spooned over about 3/4 cup of quinoa each. It was brilliant. :)

I typically don't follow too much of a recipe, but here's an approximate for the fra diavolo:
Saute veggies in minimal olive oil -- I did mushrooms, peppers, carrots, and onions i probably 1-2 tsp. Add garlic. Next, add San Marzano canned tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, parsley, any other seasonings you wish, and bring to a boil with 1-2 bay leaves. 

Before serving (which I did over quinoa last time, too), remove bay leaf. 

Re: Recipe Share: Healthy Mussels "Fra Diavolo" with Quinoa

• Options
    that sounds soooo good! i can't wait to try it! i've been nervous in the past to cook with quinoa but i'll have to give it a try!
  • Options
    You have to make sure to get the pre-washed kind. There's an aqua box sold at places like Hannaford / Star Market  / Shaw's / Stop & Shop that says QUINOA on it in huge letters - it's pre-washed and doesn't have the unpleasant aftertaste that many other kinds carry. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards