California-Tahoe

Zephyr Cove.... Any thoughts?

I have been thinking about Zephyr Cove as a venue for some time now... I will be visiting hopefully sometime this month or early next month, but I was hoping some knotties have had some experience with them already to give me the down and dirty of them as both a ceremony and reception site. Any help is much appreciated!

TIA

Re: Zephyr Cove.... Any thoughts?

• edited December 2011
    Zephyr Cove is lovely for both ceremony and reception. We didn't choose them because they do not allow outside catering.
    "Who died and made you Dagon?" - stackeye210 I'm supposed to be falling for myself...and not falling for just any guy out there in the world.....
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for letting me know... I don't think it will be a problem for them to do the catering... It just means less people to have to deal with :)  
  • edited December 2011
    I just recently did a tour of zephyr as a potential venue for my reception and ceremony and my thoughts after were mixed.. I loved it based on online pics and such, but once I saw it in person I decided not to go with it for my venue.  Now my wedding may be up to 200 people (which they claim they can accomodate) but the lake is 4 ft higher than usual due to excess snow fall which means a lot less beach.  So the beach that is there now does not look like what is in the pictures.  I also think that 200 under the tent would be verrrrrry crammed; if I were having a lot less people at my wedding I think I would have loved the tent area for my reception though.  I loved the event coordinator, she was super sweet and it definitely seems like they all help you plan as much as you need and are very accomodating.  However she is pregnant (due in dec I think) so depending how long she leaves she may not be there when you have your wedding (I'm sure they would have a replacement).  I also really loved the cabins there.  You can get a group rate for your guests, they are super cute, and its always nice to not have to drive after a wedding ;)  What I didn't like was that if your guests were driving then they have to pay for parking (or you pay for everyones parking I think 8$ per car).  I also did not like that it is a very nickel n dime type venue.. it seems initially pretty cheap for the venue, but then they add in that if you want to use their tableware its 8$ per place setting, 2$ per napkin, 10$ per chair cover etc.  All sorts of extra added costs..

Also your guests use the same public beach bathroom as everyone at the beach and its just not a super private venue.  Definitely would have been a lot more interested if I was having a smaller wedding (like 100 would be good there).

I ended up choosing heavenly btw, it has gorgeous unbeatable views!
    Hope this helps! and goodluck venue hunting!
  • edited December 2011

I haven't been on here in a few days... Thank you soooo much for your input it really does help! I am planning a trip sometime soon to take a look at some of the venues in tahoe. Have you looked at any of the other beach venues in Tahoe?

• edited December 2011
    The only other beach one I went to was kings beach at the north lake Tahoe event center. It would be great for a wedding of 100 guests or less, if u have more u have to have the reception in this big ugly room with no windows, gross! Defeats the purpose of getting married somewhere gorgeous like Tahoe. Oh and parking was miserable there, I would definitely rent transportation for your guests if anyone has a wedding there. The parking lot is tiny any u have to pay.. If your budget is on the higher side, go check out Edgewood, it looks gorgeous!
  • edited December 2011
    I saw pics of the North Lake Tahoe Event Center and I have to say I am not impressed with it.... I agree though the whole point of getting married in Tahoe is the view/backdrop it provides!

I was already thinking about providing transportation/shuttle bus of some sort since a lot of the beaches have a parking fee or it is pretty dark on the drive back to the hotels.

Some of the places I was looking into were:

Zephyr Cove
    Round Hill Pines
    Sand Harbor
    Garwoods
    Sunnyside
    Lakeside
    Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
    Sky Beach
  • edited December 2011
    This was not ideal for us and we are renting this house for the weekend same price as many of the venues. Different to rent a house and have a party all weekend.

www.1046lakeshore.com/">http://www.1046lakeshore.com/
  • edited December 2011
    cshwedding Are you having both the ceremony and receptions here? Is it close to the beach at all? I am definitely interested thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes it is close to the beach so you can have the ceremony at sand harbor and the reception there.
  • edited December 2011
    Sand Harbor is the most beautiful beach in Tahoe, IMHO. I've shot  two weddings and numerous engagement and portrait sessions there. I've shot several at Gar Woods. It's a very pretty spot, the staff is excellent, and it's pretty private. Their beach is on the smaller side (especially this year with the lake so high) and the reception room can get cumbersome if you try to squeeze in too many people. But great views, and excellent food and drinks. Sunnyside is also a nice spot on the north shore. It's a bigger resort so it's not as private as Gar Woods or the like, but great staff and food and views. Zephyr Cove is beautiful and one of my favorite places to photograph. Some other places I've shot that I really like are Thunderbird Lodge (gorgeous!), Chamber's Landing, Edgewood, The Riva Grill, and Regan Beach. If you don't have your heart set on a beach wedding, Northstar at Tahoe, Mt. Rose, and Squaw Vallet are all excellent.
    Hope that helps!
    Nicole
    Nicole Miller Photography
  • edited December 2011
    cshwedding Thank you for the info!

Nicole.... Thanks for your insight... It does mean a lot coming from a photographers point of view :)
  • edited December 2011
    No problem! Happy to help. :-)
  • edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards