Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

homemade food?

im trying to keep the total ammount of my weddind down, my grandma offered to make all the food. 
I want the recption to be in the evening, and I just don't know what kind of food would be good for that, that is also easy to make.

Any ideas??

Re: homemade food?

• edited December 2011
    I would do it late in the evening and ask grandma to make desserts: cake, brownies, cookies, etc.  Top 'er off with an ice cream station, etc. 

I just think it's a little logistically crazy to try to cater dinner yourself. 
  • edited December 2011
    The wedding is going to be small.. no more then 60 people. 
  • HippinhipsterHippinhipster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just think of your favorite things to eat. Do you like chicken or pork or beef? You can easily cook a big hunk of meat. Mashed potatoes, Mac and cheese, Corn, beans. Pretty much anything you can cook and either reheat or easily keep warm :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Has your grandma cooked for 60 people before?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, she did a wedding that was about 80 a couple months ago. 
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are so lucky to have such a terrific grandmother! I am thinking chili, lasagne or something that does well made ahead.
  • edited December 2011
    How about a couple kinds of lasagna, a big salad, and garlic bread?  
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_homemade-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:bb962290-8091-4ceb-bef8-05bcf3b7f9b2Post:62d099c0-b915-4e4a-b3a8-61a59c80a483">Re: homemade food?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about a couple kinds of lasagna, a big salad, and garlic bread?  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Something like this. Keep it as simple as possible. 60 is still a lot of people and it's gracious of her to offer, but you want grandma to be able to relax and enjoy the day just like any body else.
  • edited December 2011
    I think lasagna (maybe one meat and one with vegetables/vegetarian) would be a really good choice. Possibly with salad and some other sides. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would do something like pasta or a taco bar? either would be easy to prepare for a large group of people and wouldn't tie up your grandmother for the whole day. Thats so sweet of her!
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_homemade-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:bb962290-8091-4ceb-bef8-05bcf3b7f9b2Post:b215f8d4-6db4-4d05-8a80-33124b74fb63">Re: homemade food?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think lasagna (maybe one meat and one with vegetables/vegetarian) would be a really good choice. Possibly with salad and some other sides. 
    Posted by SirJuliusVonHaast[/QUOTE]
    I agree!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to have grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, baked beans, salads, and veggie trays, etc. It will all be homecooked, and way cheaper than paying someone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My Dad and grandma are making everything. We're having a Southern-rustic themed outdoor wedding. So Dad's cooking chicken on the spit (outdoor rotary cooker), and grandma is making potato salad, macaroni salad, buttermilk biscuits, cornbread muffins, baked beans, green bean salad. Most everything is going to be cold so we can make it the day before and not worry about it the day of. I'm actually going to help take the chicken off the spit because I think it would be cute for pictures :-) lol but I'll do one chicken for a pic and let my uncle take care of the rest!! I'd feel bad for my dad (in a suit) to be cooking the day of the wedding, that's why we're doing all the sides cold (except the baked beans).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards