Registry and Gift Forum
Options

if people buy something not on the registry...

In looking at our BBB registry, it looks like there are some things on there that have been purchased that we didn't ask for. That's totally fine, but they're on our registry as "0 requested, 1 fulfilled". If people buy from the store but not from the registry, does it become a part of our registry? FI said he hasn't added it and it's password protected, so it didn't come from us. I'm just confused. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: if people buy something not on the registry...

• Options
    It just means they bought something for your registry and also bought some things for themselves. It's a weird glitch that happens frequently. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Whew. I would have written a very nice TY note, but I have no idea what I'd do with an Angry Birds boomerang...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Don't feel bad.  I had a friend that registered at Target (with the same glitch) who ended up with a box of tampons and a snickers bar listed.  

You should be able to log in to your registry and delete it manually.  If not, you can call the store and have them do it.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_if-people-buy-something-not-on-the-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:22da122c-ace0-4af3-be81-e1d32e359196Post:4d766f7d-1e80-4b67-b293-8292b167145a">Re: if people buy something not on the registry...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't feel bad.  I had a friend that registered at Target (with the same glitch) who ended up with a box of tampons and a snickers bar listed.   
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahahaha!</div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    And..if for some reason, they do give you an Angry Birds gift, send a nice thank you and just return it. People are weird and sometimes buy things they think people will like.
  • Options
    I do agree that sometimes people buy things for themselves in the same transaction and they get accidentally added BUT I know we also had a few items purchased for us off-registry. If someone decides to go off-registry they may still ask for it to get added to your registry so no one else buys it. Just be prepared for that and be ready to write a TY note regardless.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Well if we get the boomerang, the dog will probably be thrilled, so I guess there's a silver lining there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just wanted to add, some of the best gifts are off registery!  Some friends of ours sent us ice cream sunday dishes, an ice cream scoop, a bag of chopped nuts, a jar of cherries, a jar of hot fudge, a jar of caramel sauce and sprinkles.  Everything for a sunday but the ice cream!  It was the most unusual gift we received and it was so much fun!  We also received a Cuisinart blender type thing (think Magic Bullet) that we didn't register for but I use all the time and absolutely love!

Anyway, I see all over this board about people fearing getting gifts they didn't register for.  Honestly, sometimes those are the best!  And even if they aren't, it's the thought that counts after all.  You can always donate it or sell it on ebay if you really can't use the thing.
  • Options
    Yep, probably something they bought for themself at the same time.  It happens.

If it's OBVIOUSLY not something for you (tampons, snickers bar) then you can delete it from your registry.  If you're not sure, then I would leave it up.  If it does end up being a gift for you, having it on your registry may help you return it or exchange it.

And, like Lovesclimbing, some of my favorite wedding gifts didn't come from our registry:-)   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_if-people-buy-something-not-on-the-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:22da122c-ace0-4af3-be81-e1d32e359196Post:a99a287a-e514-49e9-90dc-df5b7f548de9">Re: if people buy something not on the registry...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, probably something they bought for themself at the same time.  It happens. If it's OBVIOUSLY not something for you (tampons, snickers bar) then you can delete it from your registry.  If you're not sure, then I would leave it up.  If it does end up being a gift for you, having it on your registry may help you return it or exchange it. And, like Lovesclimbing, some of my favorite wedding gifts didn't come from our registry:-)   
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  BBB is pretty good about taking stuff back no matter where it is from, but I would still leave it on there unless it's clearly something immediately consumable.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think off registry gifts are great- I actually frequently buy them for people. I got an amazing serving tray at my shower yesterday that we didn't register for  - a friend of mine actually made it herself! It's a wonderful piece that I'll use for years to come. I was just wondering why they were showing up on the registry. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This happened to me. I requested a certain item and someone bought a similar item and it was added to my registry. After I got the gift, I deleted the item I originally requested.
  • Options
    I disagree about the best things being off registry. Maybe a handmade shower gift can pass but do not buy me a blender if I didnt register for it, why make me go through the process of a return if I went through the effort to choose the things we need?
  • Options
    Yeah I worked somewhere that did a lot of registry business and the cashiers get lazy and don't go out of registry mode when scanning items and just put everything in the purchase under the registry, people would always call and ask about the 30 cards that were listed on their registry after they got married lol Sometimes though people will just look at your whole registry and hate everything (because you're young and they know better, of course) and get you that pink and green fish platter that will be PERFECT for all those summer luaus you plan on having.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards