Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Did anyone have a fantastic honeymoon?

Hi guys! I definitely want to go somewhere outside of the U.S. for my honeymoon, but I haven't had the opportunity to travel yet myself. Someday I would love to travel all over Europe and see parts of other countries as well. But for now, has anyone gone anywhere abroad that just ended up being an absolutely fantastic honeymoon? Or just been somewhere and thought it would make for a great honeymoon? Where did you go, what did you see, what did you do, what was it like?

Laughing

Re: Did anyone have a fantastic honeymoon?

• Options
    Not international but we went to Hawaii (Oahu) for ours and it was wonderful. We stayed right on the ocean and spent many a day sipping a drink and floating in the infinity pool overlooking the ocean. We also visited Pearl Harbor, hiked DIamond Head, spent time on the North Shore, took a catamaran ride and attended a luau. Plus we had some great meals and did some shopping. For us it was the perfect mix of adventure and relaxation.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I think everyone will say they had a fanastic HM. However, our fantastic HMs may not fit within your budget. I hate to give ideas only to find out later than the OP's budget won't cover the airfare! So, do you have a proposed budget for your trip? I've been on many fantastic vacations and two HMs (married twice) that were absolutely incredible so I imagine at least some of my travels will end up fitting your budget,

• Options
    Yes, your budget is going to dictate the responses.  Dh and I had a great hm, but it was almost $10k.  We did a mediteranean cruise.  
  • Options
    We had an awesome HM for under 2K plus spending money. We went on a Southern Carribbean cruise.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My husband and I went to London for our honeymoon a few weeks ago and had an awesome time!
  • Options

Everyone is going to think their honeymoon is fantastic!  We went to Moorea and Bora Bora, and it was unbelievably amazing.  :D

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses already! They all sound great to me! :) I honestly have no idea what our budget will be. Right now we are both college students, so who knows how much extra cash we will have or be able to loan or get from friends and family for the honeymoon later. 

The Hawaii honeymoon sounds great, my fiance loves history and I'm sure he would like to visit Pearl Harbor, and I just love beaches and swimming and relaxing. And cruises are always amazing! haha :) Oh and I have always wanted to go to London. And I have heard that Bora Bora is just beautiful. It's going to be so hard to decide on a place to go to, but I just love hearing about everyone elses fantastic experiences!
  • Options

In that case: my 1st HM was to Tahiti, Taha'a and Bora Bora. My second HM was to Australia (and was also my destination wedding!). We stayed in Brisbane, Heron Island, Wilson Island, Cairns, and Lizard Island! Both were beachy, island, relaxation-focused. Two of my favorite places on Earth now are Le Taha'a Private Island in French Polynesia and Lizard Island in Australia. Both itineraries were quite pricey- when all was said and done with food and activities, both were $20K or over. Hence, why I asked about budget :) However, the Tahiti can be done for much less as we flew business class and chose expensive resorts. You can certainly go to Australia for less as well, but you'd probably have to skip Lizard Island. All in all, though, I cannot imagine better HMs for someone who really want to relax and get away from it all.

• Options
    I haven't gone on my HM yet but I have been on awesome vacations to Costa Rica and a trip to Europe that included London Paris and Amsterdam. My FI and I get bored just hanging out on beaches and both of those places have lots of activities. Costa Rica is a bit more budget friendly.
  • Options
    We went to the Valenin Imperial Maya just outside of Cancun in Mexico for about 3k including our excursions and flights. There are a ton of fun parks in the area- Xplor, Xel-Ha and Xcaret. My only regret is that we didn't have more time to get everything done! 
  • Options
    Our Bora Bora HM was fantastic.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    We went to Bermuda.  Lovely island - fantastic resort: www.thereefs.com
  • Options
    We flew to Vegas the day after the wedding and spent a few days there before renting a car and driving to LA to fly to Fiji for another week. We had the perfect combination of celebrating in Vegas and relaxing at a secluded luxurious resort in the South Pacific. Details/pics in my married bio in my siggy.
  • Options
    I think you should figure out a budget first. My husband and I were in school when we got married and it was hard but it was important for us. We were engaged for almost two years so we could save up to have the wedding and honeymoon that we waned.

On that note you should not expect any help from any family or friends. Also taking out a loan for a wedding is in general a bad idea. So you and your fiance should sit down and have a serious talk about finances and figure out how you are going to pay for your wedding and honeymoon before you even start planning anything. A budget is the first step and very important to figure out before anything else.

• Options
    All of your honeymoons sound great! I really like the idea of celebrating in Vegas for a couple days before going off to a more relaxed and secluded place. While I'm sure I will not venture to one of the more expensive ones for my honeymoon, it's still nice to hear about your great experiences :) and who knows, they could end up being ideas for future vacations! Lol. I agree that sometime we should talk about a budget. However our wedding is still at least three years away, maybe longer. We do not have a date set yet, but we know it will be after college. We honestly haven't actually planned anything yet; we are still in the idea stage. I have been good about saving up my money even though its just from nearly minimum wage jobs at the moment. My fiance, unfortunately, is unable to save up money because he works for his parents company. It would pay well, but instead of paying him, they pay for his college. I have already planned on DIYing most of the wedding and splurging on a few things that I can't make, like photographers. While I do not expect family to contribute to our wedding or honeymoon fund at all, I know that at least my family will, which is why I said I do not know how much they will want to contribute. 
  • Options
    With a wedding that's at least three years away, I'd definitely wait to focus on the HM. You cannot even book airfare 330 days until the flight date and most resort specials aren't available until arund 8-10 months prior to departure. I am sure many, many more wonderful resorts will open between now and then as well, so what people mention now may not even be applicable then. Most of all, your HM destination may be driven by your wedding date. You don't want to travel somewhere like the Bahamas or Bermuda in December. It's a bit chilly then! So, pick your date first, figure out your budget, then worry about picking a HM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards