Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Substituting personal touch for tradition for cake?

FI and I looooooove gelato. I'm super proud of my very Italian heritage, and we go out on gelato dates fairly often all year. It's our little thing. Gelato is special to us. Second, we are having a 100-guest backyard ceremony/reception in Maine in July (read: hot and humid in Vacationland). Add to that the fact that I have celiac disease and can't eat "real" wedding cake due to being unable to tolerate gluten. We were thinking of doing a small "ice cream" cake made of our favorite gelatos, for the photos and for us to cut, and then having the gelato place that is so special to us catering individual gelato dishes complete with the signature red spoons. My question is... Is it too far from tradition to do gelato instead of cake in this way, when the gelato is such a perfect touch for us and our venue/theme, and since I wouldn't get to eat a piece of my wedding cake otherwise? (yes I know there are gluten free cakes; I haaaaaate them, I don't eat that stuff.) Is this too far from "tradition"?

Re: Substituting personal touch for tradition for cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there's any point in maintaining a tradition if it doesn't work for you. You love gelato. You've got celiac. I can't think of any reason why you should do cake!

Gelato will be perfect for a steamy summer. I don't know if I'd do cake (how long will it take before it starts to melt like crazy?), but it sounds like an awesome choice.
  • Options
    andrea04240andrea04240 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hehe, good point! Just didn't want people to get snarky with me after the wedding for not having cake. But im probably overthinking it. Anyway, who can be upset after some gelato on a hot summer day? :-). Thanks!
  • Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Red Spoons... are you talking about the Gelato Fiasco? In Brunswick? I love that place.

Either way, I think a Gelato cake sounds delicious. I also think that it is a smart decision for someone that can' eat gluten. This way you can have the same "cake" that your guests have without having to eat rice flour, etc. 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YUMMYYYY!!!!!!!!!  If you could get it to work(gelato), I would def. do it!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_substituting-personal-touch-tradition-cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:f509528a-28c7-48ce-9dbb-bc7fa54941eePost:b0e3858a-60d5-4a05-a5ee-31d5aff1d28e">Re: Substituting personal touch for tradition for cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hehe, good point! Just didn't want people to get snarky with me after the wedding for not having cake. But im probably overthinking it. Anyway, who can be upset after some gelato on a hot summer day? :-). Thanks!
    Posted by andrea04240[/QUOTE]

If people get snarky for you because you went outside the box and didn't provide cake, they deserve a swift kick to the head for lameness. Regardless of their personal feelings about tradition, <em>they're adults</em>, not children. They should know how to be good guests and enjoy what's in front of them.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It IS gelato fiasco!!! Nice catch, ivyrose!! I love that place more than I should, haha. I love Brunswick and that gelato. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Although I loooove wedding cake, I would not be disappointed at all to have gelato at a wedding.  We don't have any gelato places in WI, but I had some on a trip to Europe in 2009 and I fell in love with it! 

That being said, as pp pointed out--if gelato is special to you, and you have Celiac's, then it wouldn't make sense to have a regular cake (plus, if it's going to be so hot, it could melt the icing on the cake!).  Go with the gelato!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go for it, if you can work the logistics of keeping a massive mound of ice cream from becoming a puddle.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They pack it in dry ice. Take them out at serving time. Thanks, everyone! We are totally going for it!!!! We are very excited! Still have to pick our flavors.... Now that is the hard part! We will have to taste them allllll....;-)
  • Options
    RoMy215RoMy215 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not that you need another YES!! But .. I think the truth is that, Goetz not withstanding, many people really end up not liking the wedding cake and don't eat the whole piece they are given. If they do like it, they probably still don't remember it. But who wouldn't like a nice dish of gelato--and who wouldn't remember that? Not only the gelato, but and the fun memory it will create (on a hot summer day).
    One of the most memorable weddings I've been to was one where they put a twist on some traditions. Instead of a Champagne toast, they offered a tequila shot. And instead of regular cake, they served cheesecake. I still remember those special touches and they celebrated their 10th anniversary this summer!!
    Enjoy!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards