Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Stephanie James Couture (XP: Attire and Accessories)

I would love to hear from anyone who has purchased a Stephanie James gown.  I absolutely love her dresses but do not live near a salon which carries her line. 

Did you buy your Stephanie James dress at a retailer, or work directly with her -- long distance -- via email and phone?  Please describe your experience.  Thanks so much!

Re: Stephanie James Couture (XP: Attire and Accessories)

• Options
    this doesn't really help at all but i fell in love with her dresses when i looked at her website... but of course i dont live anywhere near a store that sells her stuff. and i think she may be a tad out of my price range. i'm going to try on some retro dresses from a line called Fancy New York. they have that look i was going for. but good luck her stuff looks freakin amazing.
  • Options
    My reception dress is the Stephanie James Dahlia. I added a black crinoline and sash.  I purchased it through a bridal shop that is literally a stone's throw from my home. The entire process was super easy. The salon says the communication with the designer is bar none and the dress is amazing!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_stephanie-james-couture-xp-attire-accessories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:44e488d8-3912-4e55-94a8-01dc4f249fe8Post:e11510ec-3929-46dd-a844-b09ddaf3aa26">Re: Stephanie James Couture (XP: Attire and Accessories)</a>:
    [QUOTE]this doesn't really help at all but i fell in love with her dresses when i looked at her website... but of course i dont live anywhere near a store that sells her stuff. and i think she may be a tad out of my price range. i'm going to try on some retro dresses from a line called Fancy New York. they have that look i was going for. but good luck her stuff looks freakin amazing.
    Posted by rebeccaruth84[/QUOTE]

Yup!  I like Stephanie James and Fancy (Nato Brothers) but the closest shops are in NYC (4+hr drive from DC).  I do like Fancy's dresses, especially the Whitney.  The only issue I have with Fancy is there aren't enough V-necks in the collection.  I need the V!  ;)  Please, please let me know how your Fancy experience goes. 

One of the reasons I am leaning toward Stephanie James is b/c she will create a dress from all/any of her styles  .... front of style A, back of style B, etc., if you work with her directly.  And, she <u>will</u> work directly with any customer who lives 50+ miles away from a retailer who carries her dresses.  Decisions. Decisions.

Good luck with Fancy!!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_stephanie-james-couture-xp-attire-accessories?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:44e488d8-3912-4e55-94a8-01dc4f249fe8Post:769dffd9-5f01-4257-ac71-0d715a169aaf">Re: Stephanie James Couture (XP: Attire and Accessories)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My reception dress is the Stephanie James Dahlia. I added a black crinoline and sash.  I purchased it through a bridal shop that is literally a stone's throw from my home. The entire process was super easy. The salon says the communication with the designer is bar none and the dress is amazing!
    Posted by nycegrrl99[/QUOTE]

Sweet!  I really like the Dahlia, although I don't think I could wear it (DDD cup!).  Your dress will be beautiful with the black accents.  Have you seen the photos on Stephanie James' blog of the bride who worked it similarly??  Just gorgeous!! 

Thanks for sharing the insights re: communication with the designer.  I spent hours on her blog, reading each and every entry.  She has done a LOT of custom work for  brides.  You're lucky to be so close to a shop.  Until very recently, I would have had to go to Pittsburgh, which is 5+ hrs away.  Now, it's just to NYC.  But, I may just go with working one-on-one with her ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards