Registry and Gift Forum

Do not register at Target!

Hi,
I got married 114 days ago according to theknot.com (thank you for remembering me!). This past weekend I tried to return a knife block I had gotten off my Target registry, because I received two of them. 

Target would not accept the return for even store credit because it has been 90 days since it has been purchased. At their suggestion, I called Target to ask if I could return the item by mail. Customer service outsources you to India where the call center does not understand the concept of a wedding registry. They just said 'no, sorry' to everything I said and when I asked to be transferred to a manager, was hung up on. 

Please do yourself a favor and register at a legitimate store like Macy's or Bed Bath and Beyond where they know how to treat registered customers. Your registry makes the company a good amount of money and you deserve to be treated better than Target treats their customers!!!  Target's customer service center in India is a ploy to stonewall customers with complaints and gives the added bonus of paying their workers in rupees instead of dollars! If you're gonna go with this sleazy cheap option, might as well register at Walmart!! 

Also, our registry is no longer available at Target.com for us to even look at. So if you believe in the '1 year' rule of wedding gifts to give your guests a little flexibility, there's one more reason to stay away from Target. 

Wishing all you future brides a beautiful and seamless wedding experience :)  

Re: Do not register at Target!

• While I had issues with target too, I don't really see how it's their fault you waited almost 4 months to return something. Most places have a time limit on returning something. You should've returned it shortly after your wedding if you wanted a refund.
  • I'm sorry but Target is not at fault here, you are. Why would you wait 114 days to return a gift? 90 days is standard practice at any store you go to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2012
    My story is not post-wedding.  Even after hearing some horror stories about Target's registry process, we decided to register there anyway.  We only registered there and Bed Bath, and our experience at Target was so much better.  After an attempt at pressuring us into registering for fine china  - that we already have - and asking us if we wanted inserts for our invites, we got out of there as quick as we could.  Their registry consultants must work on some form of commission there.

Anyway, I did read the fine print while registering, so I know that I only have 90 days to return any items. 

Edited: clarity
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Target was the only place we registered, and we didn't have a single problem with them b/c we returned things on time like their terms indicate. Many stores have return time limits. There were no pushy people and nobody gave us any inserts.  
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We registered at Target and we didn't have any issues.  The associates were friendly and helpful as we registered.  Because we moved shortly before our wedding, and still had our old address in the registry system, our 10 percent off coupon got sent to the wrong address (we were having issues with our mail being forwarded properly).  When we explained the situation, Target let us just come in and purchase any remaining items from the registry for 10 percent off, even without the coupon.  We also had to return a couple of items and did so with no issue (even though I didn't even have the packaging for one thing anymore).  

I'm sorry that you had a difficult experience, but it is not Target's fault.  The 90-day return policy is standard at stores and is prominently written on the receipt.  It is not Target's fault you did not follow their procedures.
  • Yeah sorry - Target does have some issues (though a lot of them have gotten better, like their formerly glitchy website), but a 90-day return policy is not one of them.  My basic feeling is that when a couple chooses to register at a store, they are providing the store with potentially thousands of dollars of sales.  So the couple has a responsibility to read the fine print and choose stores that fit their needs.  If you needed a store that gave you more than 90 days to return items, you should have chosen a different place.  That's on you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_do-not-register-at-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:1fffbd49-9390-43f2-a280-b27cde7fa74aPost:7e68bdd0-0335-4e3b-9168-6973e46e8785">Re: Do not register at Target!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Target was the only place we registered, and we didn't have a single problem with them b/c we returned things on time like their terms indicate. Many stores have return time limits. There were no pushy people and nobody gave us any inserts.  
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Me, either - my story was for Bed Bath.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_do-not-register-at-target?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:1fffbd49-9390-43f2-a280-b27cde7fa74aPost:c5e74496-0e2b-415e-977a-22218dcab194">Re: Do not register at Target!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do not register at Target! : Me, either - my story was for Bed Bath.
    Posted by bcbrown63[/QUOTE]

<div>I realize that. I just meant that was one of the perks to registering at Target...to not have to deal with any of that.....but I see where it looks like I was responding to you. Sorry for the confusion!</div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Oh, got it.  So we agree! :)  I'm sorry, too!

• Totally agree with all the other posters. I dont understand how this is Targets problem and how they are not a "legitimate" store. They are a store with a tighter return policy than Macys or BBB, but I do think 90 days is plenty of time to return an item, you should have been well aware of their return policy before you chose to register there, and it was just laziness on your part to wait 114 days to return an item, not Targets fault, sorry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Ditto the others.   Plenty of people have legit complaints about Target - not allowing returns for multiples, not removing items from the registry upon purchase thus allowing for duplicates, giving prompt returns a value of only $20, etc.

This situation my dear is all on you.    In the future you should read the fine print and be prompt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards