March 2012 Weddings
Options

Dollar Dance

Is anyone doing a dollar dance?  I really want to do one, but I'm questioning how many people actually carry cash anymore.  Personally I use my debit card for everything and hardly ever have cash.  Opinions??
March 2012 January Siggy Challenge: Fav Engagement Pic Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dollar Dance

• Options
    Nope. It would be perceived as rude and tacky in my area.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i dont even know what this is
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's super common and expected in the area I'm from.  I still haven't decided if we are doing one or not because my FI doesn't like to dance.  We probably will end up doing one.  Most people bring cash to weddings just for the dollar dance.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:d96125a7-ea35-4a44-9b33-a8ed044fd4fbPost:cb7e530b-e7bd-4a23-8746-c74bf0a21417">Re: Dollar Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. It would be perceived as rude and tacky in my area.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

I had never heard of the dollar dance before TK but I have to say if I was at a wedding (around here at least) that had one I would think it's a little greedy.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I just went to my first wedding that had one a few months ago. I had no idea what was going on until the DJ explained it. It came off as kind of tacky to me, since most of us had already shelled out money to be there. Maybe it's just not common here? It may be different in different areas, but I've only seen it done here the one time. We are not doing one. Sorry if this isn't helpful!
  • Options
    We're doing the dollar dance. Most people do them around here. I've only been to one wedding where it hasn't been done. My DJ also says he does them the majority of the time. Honestly, we always make sure we have cash when we go to weddings (even though I never normally have cash) to either tip the bartender or for those instances when there's a cash bar. I think more people take cash to weddings than you'd think.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies:)
    March 2012 January Siggy Challenge: Fav Engagement Pic Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I need to talk to FI about it. I kinda want to. They are huge back home, but I have no idea about here.

Back home, if you paid a "dollar" you got either a shot or a pack of gum as a thank you.  Do ya'll do that too?
    Photobucket

Anniversary
    213image enjoyed some southern charm
    163imagedrank out of mason jars
    50image stayed up the north
  • Options
    They are super common and expected in my area. And I agree that I think people carry cash at the wedding just for that purpose, plus tipping at the bar.  I think you will be fine.

But the money from my dollar dance is actually going to be donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of FI's mom who passed away of cancer.  It was one of the ways that we really felt we could honour her.

Back home, if you paid a "dollar" you got either a shot or a pack of gum as a thank you.  Do ya'll do that too?

No. Not in my area anyway. It is strictly for the bride and groom and you get a 20 second dance lol.
  • Options
    We are doing a Dollar Dance or as they've been called a "Money Dance".
    We just can't think of which song to use.

Cupcake Original since 2007 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are doing one. Its a lot of fun and my family usually tries to see who get the most as a contest. Plus there are a lot of my female family members would like to dance with FI. It should be fun.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    We aren't doing a dollar dance but instead are doing an anniversary dance where the DJ calls up all the married couples and then has them slowly sit bck down based on how long they have been married.  The winning couple (longest married) gets a bottle of wine or champagne or something.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_dollar-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:d96125a7-ea35-4a44-9b33-a8ed044fd4fbPost:c314d2b3-d33c-4c09-934b-89d8e1e72653">Re: Dollar Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't doing a dollar dance but instead are doing an anniversary dance where the DJ calls up all the married couples and then has them slowly sit bck down based on how long they have been married.  The winning couple (longest married) gets a bottle of wine or champagne or something.
    Posted by MDigeon1125[/QUOTE]

i love love love this idea!!!!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was on the fence about this because I didn't want to be seen as rude or tacky. However, I have seen it done at several weddings I've been to before. My SIL/MOH is encouraging it. :) And because it is pretty common, I don't think it'll be too bad. But, I'm STILL on the fence about it. lol I guess I better figure it out -- it's in two weeks!
    "Love it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, It will set you free..."
    ~Mumford and Sons
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards