Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How to cook steak

One of the dishes I am offering is a steak dish.  I know some people like their steak cooked differently so I was wondering how to address that for people who like theirs well done.  Should they just all come out cooked medium then people who want it done more can send it back?  Should I have them choose how they want it cooked on the RSVP with different shades of pink or with WD, M, MR?  Thanks!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How to cook steak

• rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would talk to your caterer. From my understanding is that when doing large amounts of steak they will cook them all to one temperature to make things easier. Its a big pain in the ass to have to cook a lot of steaks to various temperatures and if you do offer a choice your chef will probably hate you for it (Im marrying a chef and I hear complaint about picky parties all the time)

If you insist on offering the different doneness' I would first talk to the caterer and have them come out at one temperature and have them sent back if they want it done longer.
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely talk with your caterer.  They will probably all have to come out the same temp, I would be shocked if they took requests.  I'm sure some people will send their steak back if it wasn't cooked to their liking, personally I wouldn't.  I understand when I order beef at an event with lots of other people, I don't get to special order it and I will eat it as it comes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I am a picky beef eater, I won't eat anything that looks like it is still mooing or alive. Because of this I know not to order steak at an event like this. I would hope your guest do too. I would go with a medium/MW that will satisy the majority of your guests and leave it at that.

I'm a Mrs & My Honeymoon Memory
    imageimage
    Wedding Items For Sale
  • edited December 2011
    Guests who like steak well done should know better than to order steak at a wedding reception. I think medium is the standard temperature for big events.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cook-steak?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:a72a1458-b71a-4678-9b24-7a45961ca894Post:f2a1c8dd-bf62-4a19-bbb1-e1b6bf27d031">Re: How to cook steak</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guests who like steak well done should know better than to order steak at a wedding reception. I think medium is the standard temperature for big events.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>This. And ditto PP that a caterer will not cook the steak to different temperatures. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that medium is (or should be) standard. If you're concerned, maybe you could fit that in on the menu description with your invites so people who only like rare or well-done know not to order it.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards