Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

professional teeth whitening vs. at home whitestrips?

So I have used crest whitestrips before and been happy with the results, but I was wondering whether professional teeth whitening (like at the dentist) really has much better results?

Re: professional teeth whitening vs. at home whitestrips?

• I didn't see results personally from the home stuff. I ended up getting custom trays and solution from my dentist and it worked very well and wasn't that expensive really if you are willing to spend a couple hundred bucks.

I had toyed with the idea of the quick treatment where they whiten your teeth in 20 minutes with special chemicals and lights, but I heard too many horror stories about people having big time sensitivity following that method. Plus my hygenist wasn't that keen on it for that reason, so I did the home trays made by the dentist. HTH
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I used the whitening strips for a while and they seemed to help a little, but I still wasn't satisfied. I went to the dentist and had teeth whitening done there and I couldn't be happier. I still use the strips now and then just to keep the same results. It's was well worth the time and money. The only issue I had was a developed a sore, pretty much a blister on my upper lip inside my mouth, according to the dentist that can happen, but it went away within about a week and a half.
  • if you have been happy with the home whitestrips in the past, I don't see any reason to go to the dentist to get your teeth whitened.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I used the crest whitestrips for the week before the wedding and saw results -- I kicked myself for not doing it even earlier.  However, I don't smoke or drink coffee and my teeth weren't bad to begin with.  Professional treatment is probably better, just lots more expensive.
  • Since you like the whitestrips, stick with that.  Why mess with a good thing?
  • I've tried the Crest Whitestrips in the past and had okay results.  I tried the DIY whitening trays, however, and they were fantastic!  You do one tray a day for a week.  I definitely recommend them.  They did make my teeth a little sensitive while I was doing them, but it went away about a day after I stopped.  I actually did them about 6 months ago, so I'll probably do them again after Christmas just as a touch up thing.  I went with the generic trays (from Albertsons/Jewel), and they were less than $20, which, in my opinion, is pretty darn cheap!  Good luck though.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • I've worked in dental offices for the 5 years and have done both. Personally, I love the results that I got at the dentist office. However, don't do it at a dental office that uses "Zoom" whitening. That one usually ends up being very painful. Do research and make sure you are getting your moneys worth. Try to find a dentist that will make(/include) trays to touch up your teeth for special occasions along with the office whitening. Also, try to find a dentist that uses a light on each individial tooth rather than one that sticks one giant light in your mouth. Another thing that I found helpful when doing office whitening is take a motrin beforehand, your teeth won't be so sensitive afterwards. Laughing 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Whitening strips at home gave me the results I was looking for so I would try that first and then move onto a professional if they're not working for you.
  • I use the whitestrips and I love them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards