Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

providing for vendors

This is probably a stupid question, but I was thinking about our wedding reception.  It will be about 15km outside of town at a lodge.  Are we responsible for providing our vendors (dj, bartender, etc) with a meal?  The dj will be there practically all day, as he is doing our ceremony music also, and there will be no place for him to eat... 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: providing for vendors

• Options
    Check you contracts-but generally, yes you are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The venue usually provides a table for vendors. Talk to them about this. They also usually provide seperate vendor meals. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_providing-for-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:395e7941-76cb-481d-8bbf-1a153232fcf9Post:bea6ea5d-6a16-4fa2-a2cb-72f2a5c152ec">providing for vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is probably a stupid question, but I was thinking about our wedding reception.  It will be about 15km outside of town at a lodge.  Are we responsible for providing our vendors (dj, bartender, etc) with a meal?  The dj will be there practically all day, as he is doing our ceremony music also, and there will be no place for him to eat... 
    Posted by jenn5628[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know about the bartender.  If he is with the catering, he could get his meal through them.</div><div>Otherwise, absolutely yes.  Talk with your catering and see if they have vendor meals/what they normally do as well as talk with your vendors and see what they prefer.  Some of them (like the DJ) may just eat at his booth.  But you should absolutely provide them with a meal.</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow! I'm glad I asked.  Our venue is just the physical space.  We have hired an outside caterer and bartender... so I will definitely talk to our caterer about this.  Thanks for the help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Meals should be provided.  Your DJ is working all day and there really isn't time for him to leave and get food and come back without leaving your reception with no music.  Your venue should have a place for you to set a table for them to eat and the caterer may have a meal option (boxed meal, special reduced price meal, etc.)  Consider also your photographer or any other off site vendor that will be involved.
  • Options
    We have kept room on the guest list for vendors, they will eat what we are going to eat. I just don't see the purpose of saving a few dollars by having them eat "vendor meals" as they are so important to our day. Well worth it to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Check your vendor contracts.  Ours have in there that they require a meal.
  • Options
    Even if it isn't in their contracts you should still feed them.  Remember that these individuals will be there for upwards of 6+ hours.  During their contracted work period a meal time will most likely overlap.  Most contracts state that a meal should be provided but if not it is still a nice thing to provide them with food.

Many times the DJ will typically sit at his/her booth while they eat since they still need to work the music.  As for photographers and such you can either seat them with guests (may be a bit odd or not depending on your crowd) or have an extra "vendor" table.  Usually photographers and other vendors will only take a quick 15-30 minute break just long enough to grab a bite to eat.

Talk with your caterer, many times they will offer a vendor meal.  Usually it is the same food offered to your guests, except the vendors don't have a choice (still check with them for food allergies or if they are vegetarian/vegan, etc) and it is slightly lower in price.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_providing-for-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:395e7941-76cb-481d-8bbf-1a153232fcf9Post:198a2de0-ba2d-4e1a-8a0f-e457efca7bc3">Re: providing for vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even if it isn't in their contracts you should still feed them.  Remember that these individuals will be there for upwards of 6+ hours.  During their contracted work period a meal time will most likely overlap.  Most contracts state that a meal should be provided but if not it is still a nice thing to provide them with food. Many times the DJ will typically sit at his/her booth while they eat since they still need to work the music.  As for photographers and such you can either seat them with guests (may be a bit odd or not depending on your crowd) or have an extra "vendor" table.  Usually photographers and other vendors will only take a quick 15-30 minute break just long enough to grab a bite to eat. Talk with your caterer, many times they will offer a vendor meal.  Usually it is the same food offered to your guests, except the vendors don't have a choice (still check with them for food allergies or if they are vegetarian/vegan, etc) and it is slightly lower in price.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]
    100% agreed.  All my vendors have in the contract that they require a meal.  Some of them specified that they need vegetarian meals provided.  That's why you should double check.
  • Options
    You should provide a meal for any vendor who is required to be on-site during the meal time. 
  • Options
    I do not like the idea of giving vendors a "boxed lunch" -- our vendors will be getting the full four course meal that our guests get, if they want it of course. I think if you can swing it in your budget, you really should give them the guest meal. 

Our photographer actually states in the contract that he must get a hot meal. I just think if he is going to be with us from 1-2p to midnight, he needs more than a boxed lunch!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards