Christian Weddings
Options

NWR: Reading the Bible together

How do you and your FI/DH study God's word together?  Do you do a devotional?  Attend a study group/class?  Read the Bible itself?  All of the above?

FI and I are going through the New Testament this year using my One Year Bible.  It's a Bible that breaks up the BIble into days (rather than the normal order of the books) with 4 segments (OT, NT, Psalms, and Proverbs).  So instead of reading Genesis - Revelation, you read January 1 - December 31.  I used it on my own in 2009 and read the whole Bible in a year, which was awesome.  Since FI and I are having to do it over the phone (and FI is having to use a regular Bible and I just tell him what the reading is from my Bible) we decided it would be easier just to do the NT readings every night.

We also plan to steal an idea from Emily (I think it was Emily...) and read the Psalms backwards from 150 to 1 to countdown to our wedding.  We will have a slight modification, however, in that we are starting with 152 days left to our wedding so we can break up Psalm 119 over the course of 3 nights.

So basically, by the end of the year we will have read all of the New Testament and Psalms together as a couple.  Next year we will read the Old Testament and Proverbs from the One Year Bible, and we will have read the entire Bible together as a couple by the end of 2012!

ETA:  FI and I also attend the college/young adults Bible studies on Sunday morning and Wednesday nights.  After the wedding we plan to keep attending the Wednesday college group, but on Sunday morning we plan to switch to a young married class.
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: NWR: Reading the Bible together

• Options
    edited December 2011
    awh..i LOVE that!!!! My FI and usually just read random parts of the Bible...wherever we feel led. 
    i LOVE that Psalm idea! but we have less then 100 days. maybe i will talk to FI about it and start that... cuz that is an amazing idea!

my FI and i are trying to get more involved in our church. We go to church together on Sunday mornings and he is getting involved in a men's group. After we get married there is a "Love After Marriage" class that is 18 weeks long that we can participate in...as well as "everyday i say i do" newly married group we will probably do. (: 
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-reading-bible-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:c91f3817-9260-4f97-967c-28db6c3151f4Post:fe52305a-4aa5-4643-ab1d-d39b5f6024d1">Re: NWR: Reading the Bible together</a>:
    [QUOTE]awh..i LOVE that!!!! <strong>My FI and usually just read random parts of the Bible...wherever we feel led. </strong> i LOVE that Psalm idea! but we have less then 100 days. maybe i will talk to FI about it and start that... cuz that is an amazing idea!   my FI and i are trying to get more involved in our church. We go to church together on Sunday mornings and he is getting involved in a men's group. After we get married there is a "Love After Marriage" class that is 18 weeks long that we can participate in...as well as "everyday i say i do" newly married group we will probably do. (: 
    Posted by amongthelilies25[/QUOTE]

we can't do that...I'm too structured lol.  If we get 'bored' with our readings (i know it sounds bad but true esepcially with the OT)  we read through Psalms and Proverbs...we are going to join a "life group" or local small group as soon as they start up after our wedding.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The church FI and I go to has a study list that they give out at the beginning of the year that has whatever they will be discussing that week (Wednesday night). We read that out loud together, taking turns reading, and then we talk about what we thought, things that stuck out, etc.

We went through Psalms, Matthew and Luke together at different points while we were dating and stopped doing that this last year, but since we've been apart we're spending time on the phone at night going through Colossians and praying together. We're in church together on Sunday's, but not Wednesday's.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In 2010, we did a devotional together, but this year our church is doing The Year of the Bible. We read 3-5 chapters a day everyday so that, by the end of 2011, we will have read the entire Bible! Yay! FI and I sometimes read it separately, and sometimes I read it to him when he is driving us somewhere in the car haha. Then, on Sunday mornings, we have a Year of the Bible study group with other couples around our age (they are all married already, but have only been married a few years). We are really enjoying it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-reading-bible-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:c91f3817-9260-4f97-967c-28db6c3151f4Post:7bdbf87f-2e0b-41e8-bd34-d1da57b808af">Re: NWR: Reading the Bible together</a>:
    [QUOTE]We read that out loud together, taking turns reading, and then we talk about what we thought, things that stuck out, etc.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]
    This is <em>exactly</em> how FI and I do our One Year Bible reading.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i just adore reading with my FI. its such a wonderful foundation for a marriage. our mentors said that besides sexual intimacy - reading your bible is the best bonding in a marriage. (:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're working on reading the entire Bible before the wedding.   We actually bought a version that is meant for married couples that had a devotion for every week day and a slightly off-topic devotion and date night idea for every weekend and so far we've been able to use that to stay on track to finish the Friday before our wedding. We started right after Thanksgiving last year.  We just take turns reading a chapter and then talk about it after we're done.  We did skip to Luke over Christmas, and then Revelation right after that to get a break during the early OT books, but we just started Song of Songs last night, so I think from here we will be staying in order.  We also have a devotional for engaged couples that we read on Sunday nights. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards