Second Weddings
Options

DJ or Guitar Dude? I need your advice!

i'm posting this in a couple of places to get help...

So my wedding is in Hilton Head - ceremony on the beach at sunset, reception on the big outdoor deck of a quaint little place there (hamburger joint by day). Small group of 40 or so - all ages... from our parents, aunts/uncles to lots of teens and 20-somethings.

So i need a bit of music for a cocktail hour, then some nice background music during dinner, then we party.  Music has to stop by 10 due to the noise ordinance on the beach.

Our vibe is casual, fun, but nice. And i'd like for the party to be great. I'm thinking our crowd is the reluctant-dancer type... the type who need some drinks or encouragement to get out there. FI and I are not big dancers, but we love a good party. 

We are debating on getting a DJ - who could rock it out.  Or get a guitar/vocalist who would give us a beachier vibe... although i do *not* want the cheesy wedding singer type.  But does anyone dance at a reception/party that has a guitarist?

What do you think?  All opinions welcome!

Re: DJ or Guitar Dude? I need your advice!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    DJs typically have more to offer music wise and more experience with reluctant dancers.  If you found the right musician, however, it could be very "margaritaville".  Unless you get a great recommendation on the musician, I would stick with the DJ.  ~Donna
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yeh DJ would get 'em out on the dance floor (or sand).  Bu I really like the idea of a Jimmy Buffet type deal going on in the background.  Could you do both?  JB for ceremony and background music for dinner, and then rock with the DJ?
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOVE your title, "DJ or Guitar Dude"!

It depends on your budget. Our plans are to hire a DJ, but during dinner I chose some movie soundtracks I like, things like "Something's Gotta Give", which has mixed songs, mostly French inspired, or "No Reservations", which has a fun song like "Sway" by Michael Buble, but also operatic music. In my opinion, good songs to eat to, LOL. Playing the entire CD during dinner provides the background music we want, and then the DJ can mix it up for the dancing part.

If you wanted to do this, you could look for a movie soundtrack you liked.

If you can fit in the expense of a live musician and the DJ, then go that route. But I agree with PP, make sure the musician comes with good recommendations. My son was in marching band at his high school, his best friends all play instruments, so maybe look into local schools music programs?

Good luck.
  • Options
    AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies - not surprisingly, i got the most help on this board. love you guys!

I think i may have found a guy who plays acoustic guitar and DJs - that would solve my issues, i think. i am checking into his references.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Oooooo that would be great!  Your venue idea sounds amazing btw.   Either what you have, or guitar dude/Jimmy Buffett feel for cocktails and then DJ later.  Or would that blow your budget?

• Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the "guitar dude."  Ok, actually, she was female.  But people danced to her music.  It really is a question of how much your guests like to dance in the first place.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OH MY GOODNESS ADELPHI!!!! WE ARE HONEYMOONING ON HILTON HEAD A FEW DAYS AFTER YOUR WEDDING!!!!

Our wedding is 9-11-10 and we are driving from the Chicago area so we won't arrive in Hilton Head until Monday.

Now, to answer your question. A DJ has a lot more music to offer than a single guitarist. IMHO I would go with a DJ.

Perhaps the guitarist could play during your ceremony, we are having a DJ play the prelude/recessional songs and my friend who is an incredible singer is singing in the ceremony.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey that's amazing! i love hilton head. where are you staying?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're staying at a friends condo, (a wedding gift to us) from Monday to the next Saturday, then Moving to the Marriott on the Beach for Sat and Sunday night, oceanfront room yahoooo! Than we are taking the long drive home Monday morning:(
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok seriously? the marriott in palmetto dunes? walk down the beach to the left and have a burger at the dunes house (my venue)!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I don't think we are staying at that Marriott, we are staying at the other one more centrally located, but the island is small and we can check out the dunes house!
    How long are you all staying?

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ahhhhh i will be there for two weeks. arriving the 5th, wedding on the 10th, sending the fam home on the 12th and relaxing for the whole next week. heaven. you are probably at the marriott grande ocean in the south forest beach area. we can exchange info when we get closer to it - in case we need a honeymoon break and want to meet for lunch! it could happen! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds great Adelphi!
    You know, my fiance and I have never spent more than 5 days in a row together. We've been dating for 6 years as of the wedding, so I'm sure long about day 5 I'll need some girl time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards