Christian Weddings
Options

Monday QOTD

Have you ever been on a mission trip? What did you do? Where did you go?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Monday QOTD

• Options
    I have been on several.  I used to volunteer with the Appalachia Service Project every summer.  My parents still run the trip so although I can't go any more, I still help fundraise and plan.  We go to WV, VA, KY, and TN to do emergency home repair.

In 2009, I went to Uganda to work with Watoto childcare ministries.  I have been involved with them for almost 10 years and that year decided it was time to go over and help.  I helped to build 2 classrooms in the villages.  I also got to meet one of my sponsor children- which was such a blessing!  Hopefully FI and I will get to go back and meet all of our "children" and build some more :)
  • Options
    I went to Croc, Mexico (a slum of Monterrey) with a group from my church when I was 15. We built a house for a needy family, did VBS with the kids, and helped with a helped with the mission base's store (the store offered necessities to the locals. They charged a minuscule price, basically just so that the people would have some sense of ownership) We worked and did VBS during the day and then in the evening we would just hang out and love on the local kids. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    When I was 15, my youth group went on a trip with World Changers (part of the North American Mission Board, run by the Southern Baptist Convention) to Marysville, Tennessee.  The NAMB sends teams into low-income neighborhoods to fix houses.  We put on new roofs, painted, put vinyl siding on one house, etc.  That's where I learned to run a circular saw, and cut wood and siding all week.  The next year we went to Fuquay-Varina, NC with World Changers again.  

My youth group also went to Silver Spring, MD (I was less than an hour from now DH and never even knew he existed) and helped a Spanish-speaking church plant for 2 summers.  We went into apartment complexes largely populated by Latin American immigrants and did VBS for the kids.  We also did some door-to-door evangelism in a DC suburb.  First time I had a door slammed in my face (6 times).  Character builder.  Also learned that DC is not the same as southwest Virginia...shocking, I know.

My Sophomore year at Liberty, I went to NYC over Spring Break with a group of LU students.  We worked at Manhattan Chrisitian Academy in Spanish Harlem for a week.  We were teachers' aides during the day, gave the after-school crew the week off, and then did some "fixer-up" projects around the school at night.  The school shares facilites with Manhattan Bible Church, and also runs the Love Kitchen.  One of the coolest moments was walking into the Love Kitchen when it was our turn to eat, before it was open to the public, and seeing the Maytag Man, Hardy Rawls, behind the counter wearing an apron.  Apparently the Love Kitchen is the first stop he makes whenever he's in NYC.  
  • Options
    I have spent three (or maybe it's four now?) summers on the Colville Indian Reservation. Man, I love those people. I was an intern who worked with the various groups that came up for a week or so. We did a few labor projects (weeding, mowing, laying new gravel and concrete, ripping out trees, building a new bathroom in the park), held a VBS with the kids, and went door to door talking to people. They got to know us pretty well and loved the "white kids." 

And last year I spent my Spring Break at College of Southern Idaho talking to students and working with the Chi Alpha organization on the campus.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    Never.  Orthodox Christians usually don't do that for some reason, and my churches never have.  But with more converts from Protestantism, more Orthodox churches are doing it I hear. 
  • Options
    I have never been on one, but H and I are looking in to trying to find one for our anniversary in July. Do any of you know of any companies we can go through?
  • Options
    When I was in high school, my youth group went on mission trips each summer. We did World Changers and went to South Carolina one year and the eastern shore of Va. The summer before my junior year in high school, we went to Brazil and helped build a school for a community. I had so much fun and created a lot of fun memories on these trips.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been to Belize with my church. We did a camp for kids and helped build a school house.
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_monday-qotd-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d0b7789e-0d0b-45ec-8565-8d4e06d03a97Post:80bb1826-d4d0-45db-bd91-01fe3974cd02">Re: Monday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been on one, but H and I are looking in to trying to find one for our anniversary in July. Do any of you know of any companies we can go through?
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]<div>If you're looking at international trips, check out <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.e3partners.org.">www.e3partners.org.</a>  They're not linked to a denomination.  DH is going to Kenya with them in May with a group from our church.  They still have several open trips this July.  Nothing is posted for after March 2013 if you're thinking about next year.  They do provide a fundraising website once you're signed up, so you can send the link, and people can deposit donations directly to your account.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Trips by Date (you can scroll down to July):  <a rel="nofollow" href="http://e3partners.org/Page.aspx?pid=1915">http://e3partners.org/Page.aspx?pid=1915</a> 

</div>
  • Options
    My sophomore year of college I went with a Christian collegiate group to the Appalachian trail and we were trail angels, passing out water and snacks and duct tape. :) It was really great and we saw God move a lot actually. It was just a week long trip.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Options
    I've gone to mexico every year since I was 9. I lived there for 3 years after highschool  serving at a mission (orphanage/food and clothing dispensal, childrens progrograms, medical, etc etc) in a Public relations role. I have also been to Peru twice on missions work.

If you are looking for a first time missions experience check out www.ffhm.org, they take volunteers for anything from 1 week trips up to life-time service and have a very very organized program for first time visitors, you get to see and experience a lot, while at the same time helping the staff meet the needs of the people they are serving on a regular basis.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    It's been a while---but I've been on two. The first was in Houston, TX. We worked the inner city, everything from volunteering at soup kitchens to tutoring at B&G club to visiting local prisons and homeless shelters. It was an awesome, humbling experience.

The year after that, my church began missions out of the country and that was the year we traveled to Honduras. Their country had been virtually destroyed by hurricanes and they badly needed help. We worked to rebuild some of their villages, provided medical/dental clinics, ran a vacation Bible school for the children. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever been a part of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards