Second Weddings
Options

What did you do with your ring?

Did you save your ring from your first marriage?  Did you sell it?  How?

I really don't have any desire to keep my ring (since XH wasn't even being faithful to me when he gave it to me... think Tiger Woods infidelity).

I could use some money, but I have no idea how to even begin to sell it.

I certainly don't want to keep it, though.  I've been told that I could take it to a jewelry store and they might give some store credit, but I'm not a big jewelry person.  The only jewelry I anticipate wanting to wear is whatever e-ring my BF eventually gets me (he's looking right now, but I don't think he's bought anything yet) and I doubt he'd want to use store credit from the ring my XH gave me for that, you know?

Any tips?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: What did you do with your ring?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I want to have mine made into something else, like a necklace or something.  Have not gotten around to doing it yet though. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sold mine at the jewelry store.  It was easy and it only took a few minutes.  I didn't want any part of it, or what it stood for.  Don't expect to get a lot for it though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sold it at a local jewelry store.  It was liberating. 

I had a co-worker, though, who was going through divorce at the same time, who switched hers to the right hand.  Odd.  Strange and odd.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine just stayed in my safe deposit box for a long time.  Finally, I decided to sell it, since I couldn't imagine wanting to wear it again.  I took it to an auction house, and they said they would give me $10,000 for it.  I was going to take it to a couple of other places and see if I could get a better offer.  However, my son then asked if he could buy it from me.  He pointed out that although it was a reminder of a failed relationship to me, for him it was a reminder of the relationship that resulted in him.  So I sold it to him for $10,000 (which was much less than he could have bought a ring of similar quality elsewhere), and he had it reset as an engagement ring for his fiancee.
  • Options
    vmmomvmmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My ex and I agreed that I will hold onto it for two more years and have it set in a ring for our daughter as a graduation gift.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you referring to the engagement ring or the wedding ring?  I gave my ex back the engagement ring and matching band.  The diamond was a family heirloom and the wedding ring was his grandmothers.  I was honored to wear them, but I never embraced them as being "mine".  For me, it was the right thing to do. 

I also had a less elaborate wedding band, which I sold in a heartbeat, along with all of the jewelry he ever bought me.   As a PP stated, it was liberating and I used the money to buy Christmas gifts. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the e-ring and wedding band melted down for $$. I used it to finish paying the bills he stuck me with.
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I traded mine in at the jewelry store it was from and picked out new jewelry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sold it to a jeweler who buys old jewelry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Took the diamonds out and they are in the safe the gold will be sold as will the center stone. 

Interesting side note the jeweler sold the xH a supposed 2ct diamond when it was removed from the setting it was 1.77ct and didn't match the certificate.  If you shop in West Seattle for rings PM and I will let you know the jeweler's name.  AND when I brought this to their attention they credited the xH's account for the overage.  And wanted me to send everything back to them uh no.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gave it to my DD.
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kept it for several years in my jewelry box, then eventually sold it at a pawn shop.  It wasn't worth much - if it had been a family heirloom I would have saved it for my daughters.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    BrooklclarkBrooklclark member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I held on to mine until I met FI and then decided to get rid of it I knew that I was trying to hold onto something that was not there. My FI gave me a ring that was n where near the size shape whatever as my first one but it holds so much more meaning.  I has having some other jewelry fix at a local jewelry store and I was looking at buying some new jewelry so the owner let me have an even trade… not bad for something I didn’t want anymore. If I had had children with my x I would have probably kept it.

• Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When the first marriage ended, after a short period of time and when we were much younger - we agreed to sell all three rings and split the money to help with the costs of moving.

After the second one, that lasted much longer - he kept them with him for a while until we decided what to do and, as it turned out, my brother and his wife were unable to afford rings when the chose to get married, so we offered both wedding bands and the engagement ring to them - free of charge.  We were glad to see them help another couple and neither of us wanted to profit from a symbol of our failed marriage.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    Smurfette1231Smurfette1231 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I held onto mine for a couple years because Ireally didn't know what to do with it. Then I finally just listed it on Craig's List. You have to watch out for the scammers and only take cash, but I got about $200 lest than what the XH paid for it. Paid for an awesome trip to the UK for me and the FI. Definitely a better investment and totally liberating to get rid of it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_did-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:428518c4-96c5-48ab-816c-2a64a8cab6e5Post:d473bed1-fe43-4856-b806-ab8927b0619e">Re: What did you do with your ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the e-ring and wedding band melted down for $$. I used it to finish paying the bills he stuck me with.
    Posted by JenniferC2010[/QUOTE]

LOVE THIS COMMENT!!!  My ring was mysteriously stolen......
  • Options
    buckettgirlbuckettgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took mine to a pawn shop a year after we split.  I got $90 for it and put the money toward a new Wii.
    Cool
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used the diamonds and had them set into a necklace.  I wear the neckless as a reminder of the courage I had to end the marriage/start over and a symbol of independence.   I sold the gold for cash.
  • Options
    needle&threadneedle&thread member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I took my solitaire and had it reset in a ring that I had made from scratch--totally different...yellow gold with diamonds to white gold with an amethyst.  I still have the setting to the engagement ring and my channel band in tact, though.

The ring is now...a 'mother's' ring--the diamond represents my previous union-which is situated at the top of the ring and the amethyst represents my son; its his birthstone...which is situated encased in white gold at the bottom--very elegant! 

The funny thing is that my friends don't even recognize the solitaire as the same 'engagement' diamond--all they know is that they love my ring!

I LOVE MY JEWELER!!!!  He made my ring from a 20 year old picture!    

I have no plans for resetting my newest diamond!!! LOL

Wedding Countdown Ticker

S and CJ image imageWhen is my wedding
    Visit Purple.weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cream to my Coffee
  • Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sold my ring, e-ring, dress, and veil from my first marriage and I am using the money towards the deposit on the reception venue for my next (and last) marriage. I agree with PP's, it's a totally liberating experience to get rid of it. My ex was abusive, it feels good to have that part of him out of my life.
    The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I gave it to my little sister two years ago.  It was a .20 carat diamond solitaire, 14K gold.  We bought it together for about $300 18 years ago.  I'm friends with my ex now, but we live in two different states.  He's got 2 kids, and his wife looks like me :).  We never had kids, and I chuck up the marriage as being young and in love; and we grew apart eventually.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My e-ring was a 2ct. center and 1ct. on either side.  I kept the diamonds and plan to making earrings and a pendant for my daughter's sweet 16.  I sold the gold at a "gold party".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My XH stole it before he moved out. Then threatened to tell the insurance company (his mom was our agent) that I really had it and was trying to defraud them. Great guy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards