Colorado-Denver

Church Drama

Has anyone had any issues getting married at a Catholic Church? Such a beautiful important part of marriage and they make is so difficult!
- R&G - July 2, 2011

Re: Church Drama

• kmac0527kmac0527 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at St. Thomas More in Centennial, and there are parts of it that are bugging me a bit. They are very old school...None of us women can have bare shoulders. We have to take a natural family planning class in order to be married there, which honestly is a little creepy to me...Not sure I feel comfortable discussing such things with a complete stranger. But this was the one thing that FI really wanted and felt strongly about, so I really didn't want to say no.
  • Jackie5711Jackie5711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kmac I'm getting married at St. Thomas More too. They didn't tell me about the bare shoulders...that makes me a litter nervous now. 

We live in New York so all the arranging was done over the phone. But they just told us we had to take a PreCana class in order to book our date. 

The class discussed Natural Family Planning, which I thought would be uncomfortable too, but really all the discussion is between you and your fiance. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • princessyetzprincessyetz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is not necessarily the church, but the Denver archdiocese that has these requirements.  Even though some of the stuff may seem like a pain, they are wanting to help couples plan their marriages, and not just their weddings.  Taking time to plan for a marriage sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of planning a wedding, but is so much more important, wouldn't you agree?

BTW, most Catholic churches will ask the ladies to cover their shoulders durring the ceremony.  This is an easy fix if you and your bmaids have bare shoulders.  And some churches will consider a veil as a cover if it covers your shoulders.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards