Florida-South Florida
Options

Hotel Room Blocks

I have to start booking my hotel room blocks and have NO idea where to even start!  Do you girls have any tips you could share or recommended sites that you found really helpful?  I've heard hotelplanner.com is a good one.

We're getting married in South Miami (Deering Estate) so were thinking of booking 3 hotels - 1 in South Beach, 1 in Miami, and another closer to the venue.  About half of our guests will be from out of town.  I'm not from the area so if you have any hotel recommendations, please let me know!  Hoping we find some inexpensive ones..

Thanks so much! :)

Re: Hotel Room Blocks

• Options
    abellabell member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Miami Beach Resort and Spa on collins and 43 always has good deals. HTH!

• Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Courtyard by Marriot.  They provide shuttle service to and from the airport.  I'm going to Miami tomorrow, hopefully I'll bring back some checks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    check out hotelplanner.com to get a general idea of the prices
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have a few in mind and play them against each other to get the best rate. I got mine down $30 from the original quote after two rounds of negotiating. Go look at the hotels too. Most hotels will let you see the rooms if you're about to book a block.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just looked up the Deering Estate online and it seems like Sobe is pretty far?  It's past sunset - will they be renting cars? I lived near sunset for a year and a cab to sobe ran us like 40 dollars one way.  If they are renting cars or are ok with this becuase they are looking at it as a vacation that coll - just a concern I would have.  From my expierence the cheaper hotels in South Beach are the boutique ones - which i kind of prefer for their charecter - I had friends who visited me in school and stayed at the penguin.  Its smallish but I liked it and everyone was super nice and it was right on the water.  I love the delano but it is kinda pricey. 

Where in Miami are you looking for the other hotel? Coconut Grove has some nice hotel options and isn't too far from where the map said Deering was.  It is also a fun area with tons of shops, restaurants, bars, some art gallarys.  You can check out that area and the hotels by googling the coconut grove grapevine.  We are using the Mutiny there, which are all suites, but they gave us 149 a night for a one bedroom suite with full kitchen and pull out couch and 249 a night for a two bedroom with same kitchen and couch.  There is also the Mayfair, Ritz (which the Deering estate website said they are partnered with so that may give you a discount too?), 2 Marriots, and the Sonesta. 

Hope some of that helps :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was given a rec. from my venue.
  • Options
    ucfandreaucfandrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call the Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau...they ahev a housing dept. and their job is to help with booking hotel rooms blocks (usually for conventions). They'll definitely be able and willing to help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your recs! I'm going to look into all of them now! @quiggels- yea, Deering Estate is a bit of a hike from Miami/Sobe. We're going to provide transportation and bus everyone down from a central location in Miami, depending on where everyone is staying. We're thinking all of our friends will want to stay in Miami/South Beach area so we want to reserve 2 hotel blocks there. And then maybe 1 or 2 closer to Deering. I also heard Coconut Grove is a good area so was planning to look for hotel there, thanks for your suggestions! I checked rates for the Ritz through the Deering special rate site, it said over $400 which is way above what I was expecting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG the Ritz there is def not worth 400 a night! My FI family stayed there during his grad school graduation and I was def underwhelmed - can't believe they get away with charging that much!  The mutiny gave us the best deal in the grove.  Also there is a holiday inn on US1 - not really near much except bagel emporium (which yankees fans may like b/c A-Rod goes there for breakfast pretty often) but its closer to your venue and maybe cheaper? Worth a shot. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MarypashMarypash member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should also check out the Sonesta Bayfront in Coconut Grove.  They have beautiful views and a great restaurant. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I stayed at the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove (http://www.hamptoninncoconutgrove.com/). It is a very nice hotel with free breakfast.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards