Ohio-Northeast
Options

HELP!

My wedding venue just informed us that they can no longer accomodate our wedding for January 1, 2011! I am in a huge rush to find a place now. I need to find a ceremony AND reception venue! Please help. You can email me at jmsyroid@aol.com.
Thanks
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HELP!

• Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Akron area or Cleveland? East/West/South? How many guests? Do you plan to hold the ceremony and reception at the same location or would 2 separate ones work?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am from Akron, FI from North Canton. We were trying to do a venue that we can have the Ceremony and Reception at the same place so that we don't make people drive in the Ohio Winter more than they have to. We are expecting 200 guests but can probably bring that down to 175.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Hi there,

I've just started looking for wedding venues (my wedding will be summer of 2011) and I just met with Greystone Hall in Akron. They have a ballroom that accomadates 160 with a dance floor and 200 without, but have an overflow room you could use as well. They also have rooms upstairs that you can use for ceremonies. Here's the website to check out photos and such:

http://www.greystonehall.org/

You can also try Guy's Party Center in Akron (I don't know if they do ceremonies too). They can accomodate up to 400 or so people in their banquet halls.

The Martin University Center at Akron University might be an option. Again, I don't know if they hold ceremonies too.

The Metropolitan Center in Canton.

I don't know what kind of feel you want for your wedding, but I hope that helps!

Kim

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI, word is that Greystone's planner can be difficult to work with. If you 'click', that's great, but if not, you may want to consider a different venue. They're very particular and either they will only work with certain 'preferred' vendors or there are only a few vendors who'll put up with them. I'm not sure what the real story is. I guess my point is, see what kind of vibe you get from them, ask LOTS of detailed questions before you book and go from there. From what I understand, it's a very pretty space.

The Tangier can hold up to 400, so I'm sure they could handle both a ceremony and reception onsite. http://www.thetangier.com/ Maybe check out the Foltz Community Center in East Canton, too? http://www.foltzcenter.com/ They may have enough space to do both at the same facility. Another place to research might be the Riverfront facility in Cuyahoga Falls.
    http://cfo.cityofcf.com/web2/view.do?dir=commdevelop/frs

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-northeast_help-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:111Discussion:4f36780f-4a32-4489-9581-91dbff44b19ePost:b2d18a23-38ff-4e4a-b7e3-3cd852ae1d7e">Re: HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI, word is that Greystone's planner can be difficult to work with. If you 'click', that's great, but if not, you may want to consider a different venue. They're very particular and either they will only work with certain 'preferred' vendors or there are only a few vendors who'll put up with them. I'm not sure what the real story is. I guess my point is, see what kind of vibe you get from them, ask LOTS of detailed questions before you book and go from there. From what I understand, it's a very pretty space.
    Posted by JKohio[/QUOTE]

I met with Kelly this week and she was lovely. I don't know if they have new management or what, but she was very nice and answered all of my various questions. I know that Actors Summit Theatre just leased the 6th and 7th floors so maybe Greystone completely revamped their staff. Based on everyone's comments about it, I'm proceeding with caution, but it's an absolutely gorgeous venue. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Greystone is the one that did this to me! Don't go there! I said the same thing before. Kelly seems so sweet, maybe they will be different with me. I have talked to a few other brides that have said that they screw you over. Kelly is the Sales Manager, she will say anything to make you book with Greystone which you will later find out is all false! Kelly is very sweet but tells many lies. She is the one that I have dealt with. My one and only advice is just say no to Greystone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mamboqueenmamboqueen member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Heard good things about Tangier Banquet & Party Center in Akron and Metropolitan Center in canton and University Center at Kent State Stark

Heard horror stories about Greystone. If only a fraction is true I am wondering how these people stay in business?

• Options
    mamboqueenmamboqueen member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oh, forgot about Guy's Party Center in Akron
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards