Catholic Weddings
Options

Written confirmation from the Church?

I was wondering if - when you got yourselves on the parish calendar - you got some kind of written confirmation from the Church. I know it wouldn't be a contract per say, but having only gotten "Yep, you're on the calendar!" on the phone and nothing concrete in my hands to be filed is making my Type-A personality self totally nervous!

The fear that we're going to find out we're *not* on the calendar is amplified by the fact that we aren't doing pre-cana, etc in the parish. FI and I have had a close relationship with our Catholic Campus Ministry priest since freshman year of undergrad (we're finishing our MAs this year!) and he's doing our ceremony in FI's home parish, with permission from the parish. He's also doing our pre-cana, so the paper trail with the parish doesn't exist yet.

Just getting nervous! Did you girls get some kind of written paperwork confirming your wedding mass, the date/time? Would it be rude of me to inquire about it (especially since it's not my parish, FI and I often go together to our CCM priest's parish and his family doesn't go to mass regular .. we don't *know* the priests there well).
Wedding Countdown Ticker
140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

Re: Written confirmation from the Church?

• Options
    Lots of parishes still work on a paper and pen system still, calm down, have a cup of tea and mark a day in two weeks time to follow up with a quick phone call to confirm.
  • Options
    Yeah, I got nothing--and we aren't doing our Pre-cana with the church either.  Luckily my parents are very active in the church we are getting married at so I have complete confidence. I know that they were also told that my date (November 3rd) was very popular and others have called asking for it--who knew??
  • Options
    We did not get any kind of written confirmation, although I kind of took our initial meeting, at which we did our interview and got the Together for Life book, etc. as a pretty big confirmation.  I don't think there's anything wrong with checking, though.  I probably checked six or seven times just to make sure I had the time right!
    Anniversary

• Options
    We didn't get anything initially just our date pencilled in (we initially met with the priest last february and aren't getting married til this june). We also didn't do PreCana directly through my parish, but through the diocese and then turned in our certificate to the church. Things have been getting a more "official" as we get closer to the date. We've confirmed the date ("penned" in now :) and as we met with our musical/liturgical director to go over readings/music, we filled out some forms that have our date on them. We've turned them back in with all our choices, and I've been told that we and the wedding ministry involved should be getting an email back confirming the details...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    we didnt, but i saw him write it in his book and i reconfirmed a few weeks out. 
  • Options
    I don't think this is a problem most places, and I don't think my situation is the norm.  We got a verbal confirmation from the coordinator, and then when I called with a random question a couple of weeks later, the secretary said we weren't on the calendar.  At that point I made sure to confirm via email with the coordinator.  If you have gotten at least 2 verbal confirmations, I would think that would be good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards