Students
Options

I graduated...now what?

I just graduated from nursing school today. Hooray! Though today was graduation, I have been out of school for a few weeks now. It has consumed my life and dominated my schedule for the past 2 years, so although I'm thrilled to be done, I am completely lost without a routine. I stay up until morning and sleep until afternoon when I don't have anything planned. Then half my day is already gone and you can imagine I don't spend the rest of it being productive. I have tried to trick myself into waking up early but it just doesn't work for me. With no school to wake up for or job yet to go to (the job search and licensing are in progress) I am in a bit of a blah state of being. Any tips? I need to get myself back into a routine.

Re: I graduated...now what?

• Options
    Its ok to change your sleep schedule, if it works for you.  What do you need to do for licensing?  What does your Fi do?  Try to get up with him and go to sleep with him.  In between set a schedule for when you will job search and work on other things.  Have one small thing you will do each day, like cleaning one room in your house.  I hope this helps. 
  • Options
    I need to pass boards for my license, so I'm studying for it and planning on taking it asap. He is a supervisor in retail, he works wonky shifts and no fixed schedule. Also we dont live together. I do set a schedule but I'm an insomniac unless I'm completely exhausted and then I don't wake up early enough to follow my schedule. I do think cleaning is a good idea though, productive, cathartic and will probably wear me out enough to fall asleep sooner.
  • Options

Maybe you can spend your time networking and doing some research for jobs while you're waiting to get licensed. If you're in desperate need of a schedule, force yourself to wake up at a certain time (7 or 8am) no matter what time you fall asleep and stay awake for the remainder of the day. This will force you, as well, to get to bed early.
    Enjoy this time now, 'cause once you start working everything goes downhill (j/k.... but things will not be this peachy).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Honestly, I think if your body has a tendency toward that schedule, you're screwed.  I've been getting up at 5:30 for work for the past 6 years and still can't get to bed before midnight.  Once every couple of months I end up staying up all night because I just can't sleep.  Did I mention I teach middle school?  Cry

The best thing I've been able to do is set the alarm for a decent time in the morning.  Actually, I usually set two alarms and arrange for someone to call me at that time or schedule an appointment - give me a reason I have to be up.  Otherwise I'll turn it off and go back to sleep.  I also try to make plans that I have to keep so that I'm forced to shower and get out of the house.  Even on the days I manage to crawl out of bed at a decent time, I have a tendency not to shower or do anything and suddenly the day is shot and I haven't moved from the tv.

Good luck on your boards and job search!
  • Options
    I'd schedule my day just like during school...work on certain things during certain times. If it were me, I would set aside a 'wake up' hour for coffee, news, getting showered/dressed, study/read for a few hours in the morning, clean for an hour, have lunch, quilt for a few hours in the afternoon, put dinner on, then work out, shower, eat and have a relaxing evening. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards