Registry and Gift Forum

Has any one run into this issue with a Macy's registry?

My mom purchased our flatware for a bridal shower gift several weeks ago and presented it to us this past weekend.  Invitations went out last week and now my father's boss has sent us the same gift.  I checked out Macy's registry and I only registered for one set and the registry has been fulfilled for that item for some time.  The boss's wife just bought this set within the last week and the registry allowed her to purchase a duplicate?  So far we've gotten duplicates of our coffee pot (albeit one in the wrong color) and a bowl with a similar situation to the flatware.  Of course, a proper thank you note to go out ASAP and I will just return the items, but it's very frustrating that this is something the registry isn't alerting people too.  Has anyone else had this happen?

Re: Has any one run into this issue with a Macy's registry?

• It's possible it was a registry glitch or she just didn't care/understand that it was already purchased.  With flatware, she may have thought you didn't register for enough and deliberately gotten it.  I don't think a store would ever prevent anyone from buying something.
  • Every store will let you purchase duplicates - afterall, guests can still see what you registered for even after those items have been fulfilled.  No store is going to say no to a sale.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't had any issues with receiving duplicate but I have had issues of receiving less than what was ordered. This happened to me over 10 times and was really frustrating. For example, guests would order 10 place settings and Macy's would say they shipped 10, but only 7 were in the boxes.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • What do you expect the store to do?  Tell her that she is not allowed to purchase an item?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to Re:Has any one run into this issue with a Macy's registry?:[QUOTE]What do you expect the store to do?nbsp; Tell her that she is not allowed to purchase an item? Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

I was just surprised they didn't caution them that the item was already purchased. I appreciate the generosity of their gift and will exchange it for another item.

My MOH felt so bad that I got a dupe of her gift as the store never credited my registry for the purchase. Same happened with the coffee pot someone bought red instead of black so it didn't get flipped to fulfilled so my cousin ordered us one since it said we still needed it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_has-any-one-run-into-this-issue-with-a-macys-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:ceb1571f-1f75-4426-a701-c8f9b7234e1ePost:f82fd964-6c36-4642-8195-5a60efaff3b2">Re:Has any one run into this issue with a Macy's registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Has any one run into this issue with a Macy's registry?: I was just surprised they didn't caution them that the item was already purchased. I appreciate the generosity of their gift and will exchange it for another item. My MOH felt so bad that I got a dupe of her gift as the store never credited my registry for the purchase. Same happened with the coffee pot someone bought red instead of black so it didn't get flipped to fulfilled so my cousin ordered us one since it said we still needed it.
    Posted by cajitasazules[/QUOTE]

They may have advised her of this.  Guests can do goofy things like thinking you did not register for enough of something.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • The nice thing about the Macy's registry is that you can edit how many of an item you still need. For instance, my mom bought us an item that we'd registered for, but got a better deal at Kohl's, so I was able to mark it as fulfilled on the Macy's registry so we didn't get a duplicate. Do this for any additional gifts you get that don't appear to be marked off the registry.
    Sept 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
    But instead of yellow, mine will be peridot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_has-any-one-run-into-this-issue-with-a-macys-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:ceb1571f-1f75-4426-a701-c8f9b7234e1ePost:fcaf8ce9-7887-4c7f-828c-ff85eed7f86c">Re: Has any one run into this issue with a Macy's registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The nice thing about the Macy's registry is that you can edit how many of an item you still need. For instance, my mom bought us an item that we'd registered for, but got a better deal at Kohl's, so I was able to mark it as fulfilled on the Macy's registry so we didn't get a duplicate. Do this for any additional gifts you get that don't appear to be marked off the registry.
    Posted by irshdancr5500[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the tip!  I deleted and updated what I could for now.  Trying not to registry stalk.</div>
  • I work part-time at Macy's, if the guest printed the registry while at Macy's it would show the most current status and she would have noticed that it was purchased and then could have made the decision not to purchase it.  When you make a purchase, the registry doesn't come up on our register's, it's not flagged to tell us something is fulfilled. The only way our staff would know is for them to also display the registry and that is usually not possible given how busy we typically are. 

So my guess is the guest didn't check the registry when she was in the store but possibly had viewed it online sometime before and decided that was what they wanted to get you but then didn't check the status again.

And as others have said - no store, Macy's or anyone else, is going to tell a customer that they cannot purchase something. That is entirely up to the customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards