Christian Weddings
Options

Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!

So we have a different kind of dilema where my fiance and I are cathlic (only because we were baptised as such as birth) but I personally have always attended my Father's Greek Orthodox church which is where we want to get married in a traditional Greek ceremony.
We know that we have to convert but has anyone else had to convert and how long does it take? I hope it doesnt mean we will have to make our wedding even further away as it is in October of 2012.
I also read somewhere that the maid of honor, or the best man HAVE to be Orthodox as well? Is this true?
Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am Greek Orthodox, but I was born and raised.  You will basically have to attend some classes with the priest and study what the faith means.  The process can take about 9 months to a year, depending on what you know about the faith and how committed you are.  Since you are already Catholic, you would not have to be baptized.  You should just have to get chrysmated.  It is a ceremony where the priest puts blessed oil on your face, hands, and feet.  It is like getting confirmed in the Catholic Church. 

However, you should not be converting just for the sake of gettting married in an Orthodox church.  It should be something you feel serious about, and you have to believe in what you are converting to.  If the priest gets a sense that you're not serious about converting, he may not perform the chrysmation ceremony for you.  If you are both baptized Catholics, just one of you has to convert.  My fiance is Catholic, and I'm Orthodox, but we can get married.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to answer your other question.  The answer is yes on the maid of honor and best man part.  You just need one individual who is Orthodox Christian and in good standing in the church to serve as your "koumbaros."  You can still designate your closest friends as your maid of honor and best man, but they can't serve as your koumbaros or participate in the spiritual aspects of the ceremony.  You need a koumbaros, I believe, to perform things, like the exchange of crowns.  But if you don't have anyone, the priest may be able to waive it, dunno. 
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_converting-greek-orthodox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:92ff6c22-4b49-49d6-9df9-cf367eff3888Post:d5298559-cbb0-40a5-a323-242707521e29">Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We know that we have to convert but has anyone else had to convert and how long does it take? I hope it doesnt mean we will have to make our wedding even further away as it is in October of 2012. I also read somewhere that the maid of honor, or the best man HAVE to be Orthodox as well? Is this true? Help!
    Posted by LibbySalto[/QUOTE]
    <p style="margin:0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1f1f1f;font-size:8.5pt;">So I am Russian Orthodox, which is slightly different.  Depending on your desire to convert and your Priest’s wishes, it can take 6 months to a year.  You have to take Catechism classes.  You should be ok for your wedding if you start now.  But you really should talk to your Priest about this.  He will be able to give you the best idea.  If you have been attending the church for a long time he might baptize you rather quickly because he knows you.  Or not.  Yes to participate in the ceremony you have to have Orthodox MOH and BM. 
    I have never heard of you not having to be baptized if baptized in the Catholic Church; however the Greek Orthodox Church does do things differently from the Russian Orthodox Church, so I bow to GJones knowledge. 
    Really though you should talk to your Priest about all of your concerns.  He should be able to answer any questions you have.  Hope that helps :)<span>  </span>Congrats on becoming Orthodox.<span>  </span></span></p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    LibbySaltoLibbySalto member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone!!
    i am getting married on the east coast of canada and live on the west coast of canada which makes being baptised by my father's priest, who knows me, difficult, which is why ive been a bit worried.
    im still just waiting to hear back from the priest here, he has been gone away for the past while so basically i was seeing if anyone else has gone through the paces of this as well.
    i probably came off seeming like we just want to do this in order to just get married in the church but its more along the lines of the fact that i wasnt active in the catholic church but attended holidays with my father in his church for many years, its always been much more relevant to me and my fiance and i want to bring our kids up in the greek orthodox church as well. (hopefully i didnt offend anyone before!! sorry!!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_converting-greek-orthodox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:92ff6c22-4b49-49d6-9df9-cf367eff3888Post:888876cc-eed4-4895-9736-27e0ef99edbe">Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]thanks everyone!! i am getting married on the east coast of canada and live on the west coast of canada which makes being baptised by my father's priest, who knows me, difficult, which is why ive been a bit worried. im still just waiting to hear back from the priest here, he has been gone away for the past while so basically i was seeing if anyone else has gone through the paces of this as well. <strong>i probably came off seeming like we just want to do this in order to just get married in the church </strong>but its more along the lines of the fact that i wasnt active in the catholic church but attended holidays with my father in his church for many years, its always been much more relevant to me and my fiance and i want to bring our kids up in the greek orthodox church as well. (hopefully i didnt offend anyone before!! sorry!!)
    Posted by LibbySalto[/QUOTE]
    I didn't feel that way.  I think you are just fine.  If your FI had been Orthodox I might have side eyed you a bit but since you both want to convert I see nothing wrong with it.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You know, if you're on opposite coasts of Canada, what you could possibly do is take classes where you live and have it "transfered" to your priest back home.  I live in Washington, DC, but I am getting married in San Francisco.  My Greek priest told me I could do premarital counselling in DC where I live, and then the priest in DC could vouch and sign something declaring that we have gone through the advising.  That might not work with something like converting, but you can explore it as an option.

Sorry if my post earlier had made me seem skeptical at first.  I read your initial post really fast.  It sounds to me like you're practically Orthodox except in name.  If you've been going to church for a long time with the priest, and if you plan to raise your kids Orthodox, I think you'll be fine.  I've seen non-Christians get baptized and convert just so they can get married to an Orthodox person.   

Hope this helps!  Good luck!  And if you have any more questions about Orthodox weddings, let me know.  I'm getting married in three days. :-)
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_converting-greek-orthodox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:92ff6c22-4b49-49d6-9df9-cf367eff3888Post:edcbcdf5-2dda-4818-a692-4c27e9aafb63">Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I'm getting married in three days. :-)
    Posted by GJones27[/QUOTE]

I am so excited for you!!! <3   I really want to see your pictures ok?

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_converting-greek-orthodox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:92ff6c22-4b49-49d6-9df9-cf367eff3888Post:afd75ca5-f622-4cfa-b39f-b93ebfc438dd">Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Converting to Greek Orthodox, Help! : I am so excited for you!!! <3   I really want to see your pictures ok?
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I'll try to share photos with the board once I get them. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards