Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Timing

I'm looking for opinions about timing for when the ceremony/reception should start.  I've got an approximately 200 guest wedding on a Saturday.  We'll be doing a majority of pics before the ceremony except some family pics probably during cocktail hour.  Also, it's at the Historic Courthouse, so we can't get in to decorate until noon the day of.

I was thinking about doing a 4 pm ceremony (about a half hour long), then dismissing guests one row at a time as we greet them as opposed to a receiving line or table visits.  So I was thinking cocktail hour at 5:30 and dinner starting at 6:30.  We'd probably start the dancing roughly around 8 (or sooner is things are moving smoothly).  The music needs to be done by 11 and we need to be out by midnight.  I don't want dinner any later than 6:30 cause I want plenty of time for dancing.

Another option would be to move everything up by a half hour to start at 3:30 and have more time to dance, but I want to give those decorating (hired hands and a few family members who have volunteered) enough time so I'm hesitant to start at 3:30 unless it would be best for the timeline.

Or, if there's not enough of a gap between ceremony and reception to get the family pics, we could start at 3:30, and still not have cocktail hour start till 5:30.  Since they're both in the same place, I feel like this probably isn't necessary, but some of you married ladies may know best.

I realize this is just a half hour difference, but I've been to a few weddings that they really could have used an extra half hour here or there so opinions are appreciated.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

Re: Timing

• aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

What I can tell you is this... we had aprox 266 people attend our wedding.
    Ceremony began at 3:30pm (we started formal pictures at 11am with H and I's first look) Our ceremony was 31 minutes long and it took aprox 40 minutes to get everyone out of the church by ushering them out (like what you want to do).
    Cocktail hour began at 5:30pm, ballroom was opened at 6:00pm and we got off schedule because people took more than 30 minutes to find their seats - We ate at about 6:45pm... MOH and BM gave their toasts at 7:10pm, we cut the cake at 7:30pm. Our first dance began at 8pm.

Hope that helps!!!!

• MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That really does help!  Thanks!

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had 100 guests in attendance.  Ceremony started at 4 (we did all family/wedding party/couple formals starting at noon and completed by 3:30) and lasted about 20-25 minutes.  We excused each guest by pew and were done by 4:40.  We did a grand exit from the church and boarded the party bus at 4:45ish.  Wedding party went to 1 location and did pictures.

Cocktail hour started at 5 (20 minute drive between each location) and dinner was served just after 6:30.  We started toasts/speeches just after 7.  However, my dad was SUPER nervous and ended up giving a 40 MINUTE speech! We started our first dance at about 8, followed by father/daughter, then mother/son, dollar dance (I know I know, it's bad-but for us, it's tradition in our family/group), and a flash mob dance orchestrated by my parents, then fully open dance floor.  Our reception concluded at 1am.

HTH!
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We started our ceremony at 4:30. It took about a half hour. Cocktail hour at 5ish and dinner at 6. Unless you are having a long dinner, I suggest starting your ceremony later rather than sooner, especially since you can't get into the courthouse till noon (we had ours there, too). Pictures take a while and if there are any hitches during the day, it is picture time that gets eaten.

Photobucket
  • to op, there are a few things that you could share that would help us out.
    How many guests are you inviting?
    Is the ceremony at the same place as the reception?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards