Wedding Woes
Options

Honorary pallbearers?

Is this a regional thing?  I'd never heard of it until I moved to KY.  And I was just reading an obit for a prominent guy in our town.  It listed pallbearers.  Then it listed the honorary pallbearers.  There were about 15 individual names, all associates at [his business], all brothers of [college fraternity] and the 1952 graduating class of [his high school]. Somebody was afraid to leave anyone out.

It's only a matter of time until this idea spreads to weddings.  How better to honor your ugly, fat and/or poor friends than with an honorary bridesmaidship that allows her to sit quietly in the back row and not appear in any pictures.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honorary pallbearers?

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I think people already do the honorary bridesmaid thing.
  • Options
    Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard of this for funerals (in Canada btw, so maybe it's regional here). I think it is a very nice way to honour the close relationships of the deceased and sometimes it's done as in those that would be pallbearers if there was a coffin to carry and the person wasn't cremated, or in the case of people physically unable to carry a coffin (elderly, etc).

For the love of all though I hope this doesn't extend to weddings, I think that's a much different thing. I can picture entire guest lists of honourary somethings.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    eh. The whole funeral custom is a little weird to me.  I get that survivors need closure and all that, but the ritual seems a little bizarre. 

But your entire high school class from 1952?  Seriously?  ALL of your fraternity brothers?  I don't even care enough about my HS class to go to a reunion, never mind having them all be honorary anythings at my funeral.

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure I've read an obit with the pallbearers listed.  Honorary pallbearers is weird too.
  • Options
    Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hm. Guess this just something common to me or my area then to list pallbearers, but I have never seen more than maybe 10 names listed in an obit or funeral program.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards