Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Night Before Wedding, Seperate Places?

I assume this is pretty custom, future husband and wife don't spend the night together before the wedding..I'm not really into this idea, I want to spend the night with him before the wedding day.

How many of you stayed together the night before?

Re: Night Before Wedding, Seperate Places?

• Options
    We're going to be staying in our home together and might not even make a real effort to avoid each other during preparations on wedding day. I guess I just don't understand the whole avoidance before wedding thing.

• Options
    We'll be staying together in our apartment and will be together until I need to go get my hair and makeup done. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I don't think it's customary so much as it is a superstition. Some brides and grooms feel it's bad luck to see each other at all on the day of the wedding before the walk down the aisle.

DH & I lived together for over a year prior to getting married. Since we both sleep better in our own bed, why would one of us shack up at a hotel or a friend's house the night before our wedding just for the sake of superstition?
  • Options
    My FI and I are going to stay at our respective parents' houses the night before. Both of our parents live much closer to the ceremony/reception site than we do. I want to get ready with my mom and my sister, and he wants to get ready with his brother.

For us, it's not so much about the superstition as making things easy :)
  • Options
    My husband I stayed the night together, and I slipped out in the morning to get ready in another hotel room before he woke up. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We're definitely staying together. I don't sleep well in strange places anyway, so I'll sleep better in a hotel room if he's with me. Then we'll do brunch together and he'll go elsewhere to get ready. I want to spend as much of our wedding day together as possible!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We will spend the night before together and will be together until I start getting ready. For me it's not superstition or custom but anticipation.

Anniversary

• Options
    We're staying together and getting ready together in our hotel room the night before.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We stayed together. And thank god we did...our apartment 's hot water heater exploded at 3 AM and it was all hands on deck bailing the water out of the kitchen after that.
  • Options
    We stayed together at a hotel. We aren't superstitious and I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep much the night before anyway, so why make the nervousness worse by staying away from him?
  • Options
    We slept in the same hotel room the night before. We sleep better together after being together for so long, and I wasn't going to mess up my sleep before our wedding. I got up before him, showered, kissed him goodbye and left to get my hair done. 
  • Options
    We spent the night together before our wedding!  We were together until about two hours before the ceremony, actually.

No regrets!
  • Options
    We were torn on this too; but we've lived together for practically 3 years prior to our wedding, and I cannot sleep without FI, so we plan on staying together the night before and having breakfast just the two of us before we go our separate ways to get ready for our 6pm wedding.  I want a good nights sleep before the wedding and know i'd be tossing and turning, mind wandering w/o him, so why put myself through that!?  Supersitions exist if the person lets them.    

Anniversary
  • Options
    We stayed together at the hotel. My husband wanted to. He slept better when he wasn't alone.

The next morning he went home and got into his tux, then joined me at the hotel room as I was getting my dress on. So we didn't even do a real "first look" or anything, although my photographer was already there.

I like to spend time with him - as you might imagine! So we wanted to spend most of our wedding day together.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I stayed with my family and he stayed with his because we were both out of town.  Also, we didn't live together before we were married.

I did see him before the wedding though.  I would have gone to pieces without it.  I had my hair and makeup on but not my dress when he arrived at the church and I'd been asking for him so he came down.  It was so stressfull!  My mom was great with helping plan and everything but the day of, it was crazy.  She was doing my hair but she kept running off when the flowers got delivered and then when the cake got delivered and it was very stressfull.  When he got there I hugged him and sobbed for like five minutes.

Anyway, we did do a "first look" for our pictures and it was fun.  But I was not about to not see him all day before the wedding.
  • Options
    We lived together for 4 years, so it seemed more special to be apart the night before the wedding. I stayed at the hotel and he was in our home. It was hard not talking to him! He sent me the sweetest text when he woke up and I was teary in the hair salon. By the time we had our first look, I could not wait to see him. For us, it made that moment more special. Do what's right for you!
  • Options
    We spent the night together at our apartment. We drove separately up to our venue and then saw each other for the first look. I wouldn't have done it any other way!
  • Options
    I am going to be staying at the resort where our ceremony and reception is. So after the rehersal dinner I will stay there and my best friends will be staying with me and FI will stay at our house down the street with probably a few of his guys. We won't see each other til the ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We spent the night before the wedding together, in our honeymoon suite.  Why not?
  • Options
    mrspadfootmrspadfoot member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    We're spending the night apart just because it's easier. I'm staying with my mom and bridesmaids because we have to be up at 7am to be ready for the wedding. He's staying at our place with the groomsmen because most are coming from out of town and are staying at our apartment. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards