Chit Chat

Wax question...

Weird question!
I'm leaving for Mexico in a week, and I can't decide on a regular bikini wax, and a brazilian wax..(Which I'm told is the WHOLE shibang..yikes)
Fiance loves the idea of a brazilian, but I've never had either!

Have any of you done this? Can you share pros and cons? (Clearly I know the one con is that it hurts like a bitch?...ahaha)
Yell

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Re: Wax question...

• I had never been professionally waxed before our wedding/HM. I went with the Brazilian and H loved it. I have really dark, thick, course hair, so I wasn't sure how long it was going to last. It lasted quite a while actually. They told me it helps make it last longer if you get it done regularly.

It looks like you have quite a bit of time until your wedding, so I would recommend going a few times before you get it done again for the wedding/HM. It does hurt, but it is bearable. I took some Advil before I went. I was a little red and sensitive down there for a few days (I got it done about 3 days before the wedding and we left the next day for the HM). I was fine for the HM. The girl told me that as long as I wasn't jumping into the salt water the next day, a few days time is fine in order for your skin to calm down.
  • I had one about two months ago.  I have very sensitive skin and the woman bruised me.  She felt horrible, but never having had one before, she wasn't sure how easily I would bruise.  Honestly, it wasn't a big deal.

What was a bigger deal for me was the redness.  It was red for about 36 hours afterwards.  If you do want one, get it a few days before you leave so your skin can calm down!
  • I used to get a brazillian done regularly (when I could afford it).  It's really nice if you keep up with it on a regular basis because it hurts less over time and your hair becomes thinner.

As far as pain level goes, I have a high pain tolerance so it doesn't bother me at all (I honestly think getting my eyebrows done hurts more).  But my friend got it done and it hurt so bad she stopped halfway through.  So I guess it depends on the person.

I would recommend taking tylenol before you go, in enough time that it would be able to kick in before they start.  And exhale as they pull the strip off.  If you tense up, it hurts worse.  I tell the people not to say, "Okay here it comes" - I'd rather not see it coming. 

I would definitely be getting it done on a regular basis still if I could afford it because over time, it really is awesome.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also used to get Brazilians regularly when I could afford them.  I think it's absolutely worth every penny if you like the bare experience :)

It is painful, but if you pop a Tylenol beforehand, it isn't bad.  The pain is worth the gain haha!

I would recommend the Brazilian over the bikini.  Your man will definitely appreciate the difference.
    Photobucket
  • Awesome!!
    What about awkwardness? I meant to ask about that... I mean, do you walk in, drop your drawers and bend over for a brazilian? haha.

That may be a problem for me :P

• I get partial brazilians (where all the stuff in the special area is taken off but a little bit is left on top) sorry if this is tmi and I love them!

The places I have gone have been very professional about it. If you do a bikini, they give you cloth panties to put out. If you do a brazilian they give you a towl to drape over your area. And you lay down for it, not bend over.  I have never felt awkward about it.

Definitely take some pain killers before hand. And yes, your skin will be red afterwards.
    Anniversary image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_wax-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:9b886d94-13f1-4ab1-ba86-2d114bbf6147Post:fd327810-6399-40df-b363-71bd8cfdb73a">Re: Wax question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awesome!! What about awkwardness? I meant to ask about that... I mean, do you walk in, drop your drawers and bend over for a brazilian? haha. That may be a problem for me :P
    Posted by herecomesthebride1986[/QUOTE]

Ditto <a href="http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/default.aspx?membershipid=7257091854244412&plckUserId=7257091854244412" target="_blank" class="username_knot">MrsMLRB</a>. That is how mine was done.
  • I've been going for 4 years now.  If you stick with it, when you do grow back, it's like next to nothing.  No kidding.  It's so sparse.

It needs to be about 1/4" long for them to do it, so for me that is every 4 weeks.

Where you go on your cycle determines how sensitive you will be.  Do not go right after your period.  It will hurt more.  I usually schedule mine a full week after my period is done and it's never hurt that bad.  The part that hurts the most is right over the pubic bone, so if you don't want it all gone, then have them leave you a landing strip or something over that area.

I use my aesthetician and she's awesome.  I wear a g-string and she ties it up to the side and I lie on her table on my back and she does the front.  The I get into downward facing dog on my knees basically and she does the back.  The back takes honestly 2 seconds.  I'm in and out in 20 minutes and she's so good.

If you are going to get braz, get recommendations from friends.  ALL my friends who get this done go to mine.  I had a friend who got BUTCHERED at a salon getting it done and then was terrified when she came to my girl but loved her and goes back all the time.  She's sweet, personable and totally makes you feel 100% at ease.  She works out of her home, which also makes it more comfortable.  It's less "clinical" that way. 

Good luck.  Just do your research and pick a good time during your cycle.  If you find that you are red, use perfume free moisturizer on it.  It'll feel much better.  One with a bit of aloe if you can find it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm also one who gets brazillians regularly (have been for over 9 years), and having gone to several different aesthetician, I would say, the type of wax definitely makes a difference.  The place I go uses hard wax and it's so much better than soft wax/fabric strips.

At my spa, you lie on a table, and they give you a towel to drape over yourself.  After the front is done, she has you kind of pull your knees up towards your chest and hold them there while she does the back.  I'm very comfortable with my aesthetician, as I've been going to her for almost 5 years now, but I could see how it could feel awkward in the beginning.  I would definitely recommend making sure you feel comfortable with whomever you choose.

Also, for the redness factor, I would also say, it depends on your skin type.  I am Asian, and my skin never gets red after waxing.
  • I've gotten waxed before, like pp's when I could afford it, and started up again a couple of months ago.  You have to let your hair grow out a little bit so the wax has something to pull out.  It won't get all of your hair follicles at once because your hair grows at different rates.  This is why you will have to go more than once to get all of the hair.  It does grow back more fine.  I guess my girl does a modified brazillian - all of the top & sides but just leaves a little bit in the middle. 

Be careful about where you go.  The first time I ever had it done I got a 2nd degree burn because the wax was too hot.  Take advil before to help with pain and swelling.  The redness will get less severe with each waxing as well. 

I do like it because it lasts a long time.  We are going to Maui for our HM so I don't have to worry about keeping everything shaved and getting red bumps.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just skimmed the responses but I saw that you said you're going in a week - if you've shaved recently, your hair is probably too short to wax.  I thought that two weeks' growth would be good enough for a Brazilian, but about half the hair grew back in a couple of days.  I now give it a month, which isn't really preferable but it's worth it.

The Brazilian is a bit awkward, but as PPs have said, the person waxing you should be very professional.  I would ask from recommendations from people you know or on your local board, because it makes all the difference having someone knowledgeable and experienced. 

There is usually a bit of redness, so I ty to get them 48 hours before my trip. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks girls! I'm SO glad I asked before going in without info! haha... I've never met this girl so it may be a tad awkward :P
    Oh well, totally worth it! !:)

• I also have a wax question: I live in MN and im getting married in CA. I will be going to CA a week before the wedding. Should I get the wax before I leave or when I get to CA?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagemy read shelf:
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I've done a full removal wax before. If I were to do it again I'd go with a partial Brazilian (or whichever one removes everything - front to back - save for however much of a strip you'd like). What I thought would hurt, didn't, and what I thought wouldn't, did: sides didn't hurt as much as I expected, lips hurt even less, and behind hurt waaaaay less than I expected... like hardly at all. The bump? Holy cow that was the most painful part of my wax.

Also, I didn't feel a need to cover myself with a towel, I thought modesty was pointless by then :^P

crose, I'd get one or two at some point before the wedding, so I'd know what to expect, and then get one done a day or two before leaving for CA. Especially if you go back to the same technician they can learn what works for you and what doesn't. That's how I'd look at it anyway - I'd prefer to get familiar with a technician and vice versa.
  • you know those gels that are supposed to numb a man so he "lasts longer"?
    well here is my secret wax tip: apply some of this to your skin befor you go to your appointment to numb the skin a bit. and have an orgasm before had if possible lol also helps the pain
  • One other tip that no one has mentioned: no caffeine all day before you go.  The caffeine wakes up your skin, and makes you more sensitive and susceptible to bumps and red spots.  

Also, take 2 ib profin 30 mins before, and if possible, do a shot right before you walk in the salon.  My old wax people used to give you a shot of vodka when you walked in. The booze doesn't help with the pain, but it helps you relax.  When you tense up as they pull, it makes it hurt more.  
  • I recommend waxing at home as opposed to some random person. It is a little like "hello, nice to meet you, may I present my vag?", but they should be professionals. I had a brazilian and leg wax before the wedding, and have had brazilians before. I am blond, so my hair pulls then just breaks off, so I get lots of ingrowns. I recommend 1.5 weeks of growth minimum, and if possible, leave a landing strip. That part is the most painful by far. The backside is easy peasy, doesn't hurt at all.  Good luck, it's a nice treat!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards