Catholic Weddings

NFP after birth

At my last doctor's appointment, the nurse asked me what I was planning to do for birth control after the baby is born. I was caught off guard and muttered something about charting.

She said, "That's not good enough." She suggested condoms.

Please enlighten me... how do you do NFP post partum?

I'll admit, I was about halfway through TCOYF when I got pregnant (NOT because it didn't work!) and stopped reading after that. I'll go look it up of course but thought you ladies might have some info too.
Baby Birthday Ticker
Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

Re: NFP after birth

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THis is something that can't be taught and learned over internet posting. After baby can be difficult, depending. I highly recommend getting a teacher.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TCOYF had a an appendix on this.  Since you already have the book, definitely read it.

It seemed to be basically the same.  You chart CM, abstain if you see it, and track temperatures for biphasic patterns.  The difference is because you may or may not ovulate when you do see CM.  If you're breastfeeding, it can take especially long.  So you might see CM, but ovulation does not necessarily occur (like your body is trying, it just can't quite cross the threshold).

Did you happen to take the CCL class?  They do a post-partum version if you're a member.  You might be able to find a CCL class in your area for post partum.

Also, it drives me bonkers when people suggest using condoms. I know SIX people who have gotten pregnant while using condoms... Condoms don't work.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have no idea, but I have definitely heard (from reputable sources) that the bodily signs can change quite a bit, especially while you're breastfeeding (when you may or may not ovulate, and which is not a fool-proof birth control method).  I actually know a (Catholic) couple who ordinarily did NFP, but used some other (no idea which) method of birth control while she was breastfeeding, due to really confusing signals form her body.

Good luck, and please come back with whatever you learn!
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CCL has a book & class specifically for postpartum that, yes, is essentially the same idea but there are different patterns to look for. Taking a class would probably be best.

It also does depend on whether you breastfeed or not....With BF'ing some women get many months of amennorhea and/or infertility. Not BF'ing, most women return to regular cycles between 6-10 weeks after birth or so.

There is a specific method of postpartum NFP that is very simple, but not everyone qualifies, called LAM (lactational amennorhea method.) The requirements are 1) exclusive breastfeeding, no pumping/supplementation 2) baby under 6 months of age and 3) no bleeding after the 56th day post-childbirth. If you meet all three of those requirements, your chances of conceiving are ~2%, so comparable to regular NFP methods.

Otherwise, I have heard good things about the Marquette method for postpartum, because the monitor tells you very straightforwardly whether you're fertile or not.

Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a catarntina behbeh now?  Congrats!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, TCOYF does have a section on postpartum, but it appears from what i read (briefly, since it doesnt apply to me yet) that it can be alot more difficult.  it looks like if you exclusively breastfeed, from the breast, it cane be straighforward.  but if you try to do  breast and bottle or breast with pump, it is harder.  apparently if you pump the nipple stimulation isnt as great or its different?  so because of that, it can throw your signs off.

im assuming this comment:
    She said, "That's not good enough." She suggested condoms.

you would get if you told her you were charting to avoid as your sole method of BC even before getting pregnant.  as we've discussed on here before, many medical pros dont understand charting and think it is ineffective as a means of avoiding pregnancy. 
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-after-birth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:567aacec-4dc6-459f-9b64-790f86544a0bPost:dffed8e9-cb47-4f3d-b45f-f2054cc086fe">Re: NFP after birth</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a catarntina behbeh now?  Congrats!!!!
    Posted by doctabroccoli[/QUOTE]

Thanks :D I just found out on Sunday.  I'm really hoping for a sticky baby, but they've got me labeled as "Abortion Threatened" (such a terrible term.  Should be "miscarriage threatened") due to low progesterone levels and short luteal phase from my previous 10 cycles.  Thank goodness for NFP.  If I hadn't shown them my previous 10 charts, they probably wouldn't have checked my progesterone levels.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-after-birth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:567aacec-4dc6-459f-9b64-790f86544a0bPost:f2aa3ddd-e146-4b6a-85bd-566312849d38">Re: NFP after birth</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFP after birth : Thanks :D I just found out on Sunday.  I'm really hoping for a sticky baby, but they've got me labeled as "Abortion Threatened" (such a terrible term.  Should be "miscarriage threatened") due to low progesterone levels and short luteal phase from my previous 10 cycles.  Thank goodness for NFP.  If I hadn't shown them my previous 10 charts, they probably wouldn't have checked my progesterone levels.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

Well T&Ps then for a sticky baby!!!!!!  Do they give you any kind of meds to help with the progesterone levels?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats catarantina! I will keep you an the little one in my T&P!
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-after-birth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:567aacec-4dc6-459f-9b64-790f86544a0bPost:49228873-29ca-4212-83ff-8821091a86b0">Re: NFP after birth</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats catarantina! I will keep you an the little one in my T&P!
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

ditto!! stick stick stick little one!
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-after-birth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:567aacec-4dc6-459f-9b64-790f86544a0bPost:49228873-29ca-4212-83ff-8821091a86b0">Re: NFP after birth</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats catarantina! I will keep you an the little one in my T&P!
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

ditto #2 to this :)  many many prayers for you and the cute little poppy seed baby ;-)
  • edited December 2011

I have heard from my friends who have given birth that NFP can be very confusing postpartum due to all the hormonal changes...  Although TCOYF has an appendix, I'd suggest taking a class (CCLI or Creighton) so that you'll have someone to review your charts for any confusion. 

So exciting that you're already 29 weeks!  :)

And congratulations to catartnina!

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi Ring Pop!  Long time no see.  =-)

I'm currently nursing and still waiting for PPAF to show.  Now, I know for a fact that  my cycles won't return until I'm done because I'm taking domperidone to help w/ my supply and it suppresses ovulation.

PP charting is not easy and I will ditto whoever suggested a teacher/class in addition to using the book.  I'm currently enrolled in an online class myself (PM/page me over on E if you want specifics) because once I'm done with nursing next month, I want to be prepared for my cycles to return.

That being said, BF itself *can* be an effective BC (LAM) (I believe I read on average for 6 months?) if you tend to be more of an AP style mom (nursing on demand, co sleeping, etc) because nursing around the clock can suppress ovulation.  Once the feeding sessions start spacing out a bit more and aren't as frequent, the body can start to get the message to begin to ovulate again.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - someone mentioned this thread to me and asked if I would be able to chime in with any info.  =-)
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i just came here to get the link, but youd found it!  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards