Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Fall Themed Taco Bar?

My fiance and I are on a tight budget and dead set on making our own wedding food. We love the idea of a taco bar. Saves us money, a whole day in the kitchen the day before the wedding. And it allows us and our guests to be creative in creating tacos/salads. We're looking at about 50-60 guests at most.

We're having a rustic themed wedding. Very Southern, handmade, vintage. And it's in October. We love the Fall so our wedding will have a lot of Fall touches. To make keep the rustic feel, we plan on having tortillas and certain toppings in baskets, salsas in mason jars. Our wedding is also at 11 a.m. and we plan on serving the tacos at 1-ish.

For appetizers, I was thinking fresh fruit in waffle cones. Spicy sweet potato hummus & pita chips. Cheese straws. Jalepeno poppers. Any other ideas?

And we want mini pies (apple, pumpkin, blueberry...) in place of our wedding cake, since we're not big cake-eaters. And to drink we'd have apple cider, sangrias, sweet tea, coke and so on.

My only issue with the taco bar is that it may not fit with our desert. What do you think? Is there a way to add a Fall flare to our taco bar? Maybe add unconventional toppings to the bar? My fiance thought up a turkey dinner taco: ground turkey, stuffing, gravy. And have a menu wih different combos guests could try. Maybe cajun-spiced tacos with shrimp?? Maybe have shredded cheese served in a hollowed out pumpkin? If you were a guest would you enjoy this?

I'd love any advice and honest opinions. :)

Re: Fall Themed Taco Bar?

• I like the idea of having more gourmet taco ingredients.  I think that I have had pumpkin tacos before (sauteed pumpkin with some other veggies and spices), so that's one idea.  

If you want to add an appetizer, you could have pumpkin or butternut squash soup shooters.  
  • Sweet potato tacos are really good!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_taco-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:a8a8937d-30d4-4512-846a-1c200b74af83Post:e510907d-ac41-43d6-83f4-d17db9f7d5c7">Re: Fall Themed Taco Bar?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of having more gourmet taco ingredients.  I think that I have had pumpkin tacos before (sauteed pumpkin with some other veggies and spices), so that's one idea.   If you want to add an appetizer, you could have pumpkin or butternut squash soup shooters.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed. I would use the soup shooters in place of the hummus- I just think it goes with the theme better. As you originally stated, although tacos don't scream fall, you can pull the fall theme in with presentation of food and decor. </div><div>
    </div><div>Another idea would be to do a soup and salad bar. It would be appropriate since you're serving a midday meal, really easy to prepare ahead of time and there are plenty of fall food items that can be incorporated. I associate fall with chillier weather, and soup is  very comforting :) For example:</div><div>
    </div><div>- Roasted Butternut squash soup</div><div>- Vegetable Beef Soup</div><div>- Chicken Noodle Soup</div><div>
    </div><div>- Autumn salad- mixed field greens, walnuts, dried cranberries, raspberry vinaigrette.</div><div>- House salad- romaine lettuce with a variety of toppings and people create their own. </div><div>
    </div><div>- Rolls  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards