Rhode Island

Dance Party/ Nightclub style DJ?

I've been looking into DJs and I can't figure out how to pick one based on pictures and what they say they do. I wish I could see them in person, but since that doesn't really work so well, I'm looking for your feedback! I want a DJ that will create a night club type atmosphere - only playing really good dance songs - recent dance songs and maybe some good older dance music like Michael Jackson, Prince, etc.. So many DJs say they want to play a little of everything to please everyone, but I disagree with that theory. I just want the music that my fiance and I like and that will get us and all our friends up dancing like we would if we were at a club or something. I'm not worried if my Grandpa or my uncle likes the music, so I don't want all the "typical" wedding songs played and I want to avoid anythin corny like group dances (electric slide, macarena, etc.) I recently went to a wedding where the DJ was walking around the tables at dinner singing to the songs that were playing - NOT my style!

Does anyone know of a good DJ that can create this atmosphere? They all say they can, but I don't believe them. I'm currently looking into Victor from Party Time, Nick from Perfect Sounds of All4You DJ.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dance Party/ Nightclub style DJ?

• RIFallBrideRIFallBride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJae Melee out of CT may be a good option for you.  He is awesome and works in both club and wedding settings all the time.  He gets rave reviews on the CT board and we booked after our meeting with him!  His prices are great too!
  • jmorta04jmorta04 member
    edited December 2011
    Victor is fantastic.  He will work with you to create the feel you are going for.  My guests are still raving about what an awesome party our wedding was and Victor had a lot to do with that.  He kept the dance floor packed all night and he's a ton of fun! 
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    Moving right to IVF with ICSI
    ER: 8/17/12; 13R, 11M, 9F
    ET: 8/20/12; 2 "beautiful" embies transferred and 1 frobaby on ice
    Beta #1: 8/31/12 - BFP at 89!
    Beta #2: 9/3/12 - 315
    Beta #3: 9/10/12 - 6,109
    1st U/S: 9/24/12 - One little bean with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog: Project Make a Baby
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • courtchace7courtchace7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were not using Victor but I thought he was really professional at a recent wedding that we attended. Unfortunately, the couple really chose music that was more pleasing to the older generations so I didnt get up that much to dance which was no fault of the dj. I feel pretty similar to you in that I want really good dance music. I think if you choose a good dj who is receptive to their clients requests then you should be fine. Victor gets especially good reviews, so I would be pretty confident that he would stick with playing the type of music you want and steer clear of the music you dont want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This is exactly what has been on my mind as well! How is Victors pricing? I'm assuming if he is as fabulous as everyone says, he must be pretty pricey?

Follow Me on Pinterest
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_dance-party-nightclub-style-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:25d731f6-be71-424f-9035-e6f930b39f80Post:bed633bb-c110-44e3-a22b-ab5a9d8eb313">Re: Dance Party/ Nightclub style DJ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is exactly what has been on my mind as well! How is Victors pricing? I'm assuming if he is as fabulous as everyone says, he must be pretty pricey?
    Posted by AmandaLeigh1014[/QUOTE]
    He is pricier than many of the other DJs you will find in this area, but I truly believe he was worth every penny.  Entertainment was extremely important to us so we were willing to spend a little more for quality, which we certainly got with Victor.  He takes a very hands on approach to your wedding and really tries to get to know his clients before the wedding.
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I almost booked with Victor but his price was outside of our budget. I think it was close to $2,000. We booked Seann from Music Mixxers in East Greenwich for half that and he was AWESOME. We spoke about the type of party we wanted ahead of time. I gave him a list of a few "must play" but mostly a "do not play" list and he wouldn't play anything on the latter, ever. I highly recommend him, plus he's a gem to work with!
    I think you'll find that most DJs will play whatever type of music you tell them to.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! I met with Victor last night and he was great. I would really like to work with him, but as has been said he's a bit pricey - I'll have to meet a few more DJs that are cheaper to see if I get as good a vibe from them. DJ Melee looks good and is about half the price, but I have yet to meet him. He's a big hit on the Connecticut board.

Is anyone using uplighting? Everyone is offering it and it is very expensive - is it worth it? Are you ladies having any additional lighting added to your reception or just going with the lights that are there?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    With Music Mixxers we actually won a lighting kit when we booked them at a bridal show at the Towers. It came with 12 uplights and 2 under the table lights. My venue was in a tent on Newport harbor. The uplights were cool and pretty, but I don't think it added much to my particular venue. I'm glad we didn't pay for them, but it may depend on your venue. Since we had a really nice view anyway! Your venue may be able to shed some light on that (hahahaha!), if other brides have done it and if it looks nice.
    The under the table lights were worth it, though! We did that at the cake table and the sweetheart table. It looked wicked cool!
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also love Music Mixxers! I went to a wedding two weeks ago and they really got the crowd moving and the dance floor was packed all night. I have not danced that much since my own wedding!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_dance-party-nightclub-style-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:122Discussion:25d731f6-be71-424f-9035-e6f930b39f80Post:faa04384-107a-473b-be6b-a858a4e2d3d6">Re: Dance Party/ Nightclub style DJ?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the feedback! I met with Victor last night and he was great. I would really like to work with him, but as has been said he's a bit pricey - I'll have to meet a few more DJs that are cheaper to see if I get as good a vibe from them. DJ Melee looks good and is about half the price, but I have yet to meet him. He's a big hit on the Connecticut board. Is anyone using uplighting? Everyone is offering it and it is very expensive - is it worth it? Are you ladies having any additional lighting added to your reception or just going with the lights that are there?
    Posted by krines01[/QUOTE]
    I did have uplighting.  It was something I didn't really care about when I started wedding planning.  However, when I started looking at photos of the room with lighting, I knew I had to have it.  Victor has special lighting he used at our venue and he was able to change the lighting as the night went on, which added a really nice touch.
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • tlopes07tlopes07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Victor also, he's awesome but if you're on a budget Soundflash Dj's are awesome too and not as expensive.  We are going to be using them because I like their work and they provide lighting/momogram/slideshow as well.  Their website is soundflashdjsri.com,  they even create a client login for you where you can go in and select the music you want played at your wedding off a database that has thousands of songs.  It's two brothers Jeff & Cliff and they are great guys! Good Luck
  • edited December 2011
    Is the MusicMixxers from East Greenwich the same at Larry from Music Mixers in Narragansett? If not, what is the actual contact info for the East Greenwich one?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Here's the website for Music Mixxers: http://www.musicmixersdj.com/index.html complete with contact info.
    Jason is the owner, and great to work with. Seann was my actual DJ and was fantastic! He actually listend to what I had to say (something that frustrated me about some other DJs I interviewed).
  • Bob from Main Event is GREAT!
  • Check out Dj JD. Jason Dawson from Dawson Entertainment productions. He is awesome! We had him for our July 2011 Wedding and he is now on the knot as well. Jay is the resident DJ at Shrine Nightclub at Foxwoods. Everyone loved the music at our wedding and had so much fun. If you are looking for that style he really is great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards