Hawaii
Options

Maui

Me and the FI were considering somewhere in the Carribean, but are now leaning toward Hawaii for our honeymoon at the end of June!
We're hoping to spend a week there with a budget of around $5,000.
I don't know a whole lot about Maui but have heard that it'd probably be the best for us to go. We want to be able to just chill at the beach once in awhile, but also have things to do to keep us entertained and having fun! :)
I'm just looking for some recommendations about anything in Maui really. Hotels, extra activities, prices.. Hotels (along Ka'anapali) is what i've been looking at but there are just so many! Anything that you could share would be wonderful :)

Re: Maui

• Options
    My suggestion for lodging is looking into vacation rentals. You can look up properties on vrbo.com and a ton of them in West Maui (where I am currently looking for accommodations for our families) have been updated/remodeled! I have never been disappointed while staying at a vacation rental and I'm sure you'll find deals for <$200/nt or even better! There are awesome beaches on Maui. The one we love to go to is just north of black rock in Ka'anapali. We also like going up to Kapalua as well. Food is great. Our new favorite is Star Noodle in Lahaina. We frequent Aloha Mixed Plate every time we go. Geste shrimp truck near the airport is soooo good (if you like shrimp!). Da Kitchen in Kahului is also yummy for local eats. Paia Fish Market is always a great choice. For more "fancy" dining, there's Mama's Fish House. Merrimen's is also a very good option. They have great local cuisine. Pacific'O and O'o restaurants are also great choices. Here are the more touristy things to do: go up and watch the sunrise atop hale'akala. If you're adventurous, you can bike down. Parasailing and surfing lessons occur everyday in the Ka'anapali area. If you don't mind windy roads, try taking the road to Hana. There are many great picturesque stops along the way, and usually it turns into a full-day excursion. There are also great hikes throughout the island. We take tours though Hike Maui and they usually take you to a waterfall or two along the way. This is all I can actually think of for tonight! So I hope I helped you at least a little bit! :)
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I totally agree with diana...we did vrbo...we are paying roughly $230/night for a 1 bed ocean front suite, just one below the penthouse.  I would highly recommend Honua Kai...brand new building, awesome kitchen, and for what we see we are  getting...$230 is a deal;) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'll be in Maui on Saturday at the Ka'anapali Beach Club.  I'll let you know how it is!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We are leaving for Maui next Friday.  For our first week we are stay at a vacation rental condo.  It is a one bedroom and we got it for under $900 for the week.

Diana - thanks for the recommendations.  We have never been before and I am going to write those down.  A friend here also recommended Duke's for lunch.  Have you heard of it?
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Duke's is really yummy! We have eaten at the one in Maui, Oahu and Malibu. Make sure you get the Hula Pie for dessert.

We stayed at the Westin for our honeymoon and really loved it. The view was amazing (ask for a top floor), and the pools were awesome. It was clean, great location and moderately priced for that area.

As far as food, our favorites were I'O, Mama's Fish House, Kimo's, Leilani's on the Beach, Duke's, Roy's, and a few places in Lahaina that I can't remember the names of but the sunset views were incredible. I have a Maui restaurant guide I could email you if you're interested, we made all of our decisions based on that!

Activities.....don't miss doing the Road to Hana!! It takes a full day, but it was the highlight of our 2 weeks there. Leave early, make lots of stops and maybe consider buying the "Maui Revealed" books so you'll know about all the popular and "secret" stops. There are some of the best beaches on the island along that route....I'm dying to go back and do it again.

We did ziplining (okay...wasn't that impressed), parasailing, the Old Lahaina Luau and rented boards for body surfing. Snorkeling at Molokini was also a favorite of mine, we saw sea turtles and an octopus!

Have fun planning!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    For amazing food in Lahaina in kind of an off the road spot - try Star Noodle.  It's up on the hill side of the highway in kind of a business area but the food is fabulous!  We are meeting up with our wedding photog there when we go to Maui this summer - she just happens to be shooting another Maui wedding at that time.   I can't wait! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Mauidanhy - I will PM you my email address if you wouldn't mind emailing me the visitor guide.  Thanks,  Rhonda
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    No problem, I just sent it to you :)
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your info everyone! It will definitely come in handy:)
    Mauidanhy: I PM'd you my email address if you still would like to send that visitor guide! Thank you!
  • Options
    Hey not sure if anyone is still monitoring this string, but we are planning a trip to Maui for our honeymoon next May. My question is about airfare. Currently round trip flight is going for $793. Does this sound like a good deal, and should I scoop it up now? Or wait it out to see if the price falls anytime in the next few months. I have a feeling it'll go up before it ever drops again. Do you guys have a sense of whether this is a good deal or not??

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards