Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Puntaa Cana Brides

Re: Puntaa Cana Brides

• Options
    Because my family rejected Mexico as a choice and it was cheap-and beautiful.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's why I'm asking Jamie...the family is worried about the drug wars in Mexico.
    Undecided
  • Options
    Price--it was one of the nicest for less money.  Also, I have been before, and it is gorgeous.  I wanted a nice beach, and PuntaCana has some of the best I have ever experienced.
  • Options

Yes, I fell head over heels in love with, and booked btw, a resort in Mexico.  I was so excited..!  Then unfortuntely came the drug wars and at the time, swine flu.  My family said "we love you, and will go just about anywhere-EXCEPT for Mexico.  I personally did not love Jamaica when I went (just a personal experience, please don't hate me Jamaica Brides!) so that was out, and other areas that I LOVED (Virgin Islands, St. Lucia, Puerto Rico) were out because of cost.  I have never been to PuntaCana but people who have rave about it..so that is where we landed.  Hope this helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yup, family didn't take likely to Swine flu and drugs and FI didn't like Jamaica. My co-worker and another friend have been to the resort we booked in DR and they loved it. Had nothing but good things to say so we booked it and never looked back!
  • Options
    Well....I wassss an Aruba bride but I recently changed to P. Cana for the exact same reasons. The resorts had more of what I wanted for my wedding for less cost for me as well as my guests. And everyone I know that has been also rave about it. I chose the Excellence Resort.
  • Options

We decided to go with PuntaCana because it had everything we wanted in an AI resort with the best prices.  We originally looked at Mexico too, but I thought the pricing was pretty high considering everything that was going on over there at the time (swine flu, drug wars) and FI didn't want to go to Jamacia because of cost and he thought it was more unsafe than other choices.
    Are the drug wars even a big deal in MX anymore?  I haven't heard much about them lately.  BTW my former boss traveled to Riveria Maya right in the heat of the drug war stuff last summer and didn't have any issues, of course he stayed on property and didn't venture out and said it was a little intimidating seeing armed guards at the gate of the resort, but he didn't run into any problems (this was after he lectured me that we should not get married in MX because of all that was happening there, then he up and goes on vacay there, lol!).

• Options
    I have friends that have been to Mexico lately plus I have been keeping up with the reports because Mexico was one of the sites I had in my sires at one point. The drug problems are in the border towns, no where near any of the resort areas (think Colorado vs Florida) not to mention that tourism is such a big money issue for Mexico that they work very hard to keep all the tourist towns super safe. One of my best friends just had his honeymoon in Cancun and said it was great and never saw one hint of any trouble. I would have no qualms about a trip/wedding there if it had all the things I wanted for my wedding. I ended up not picking Mexico because several family members had already been and I wanted somewhere different and further away.
  • Options
    *tinkertoy**tinkertoy* member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Well....Bean...that is what I thought but then I saw where 6 people were kidnapped from a Holiday Inn in Monterrey, Mexico on Wednesday.

We are going to Cancun for a conference/vacation in June and I was thinking we could scope it out then. It just worries me that if we book Mexico now, what if things get worse by December and we've already booked, you know?
  • Options
     I understand. I just was just adding my two cents in =) Monterrey is an interior border area while the tourist beach towns are a good long ways away( like states lengths)  If makes you the least bit uncomfortable you should follow your gut.
  • Options
    White beaches!! Growing location that caters to destination weddings so why not get in on the fun. Since they are growing locations for DWs they are going to have many incentives. However, I've learned through research that Mexico have a lot of opportunities also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards