Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

DIY Food?

I am anxious to hear from anyone who has ever taken on the task of providing food at their reception.  I had located a caterer for an awesome $8 per person.  Even as awesome as that was, food for 100 people was still going to cost us almost $1000. Once my MIL and fiance's family got wind of the set wedding date, they were insistant on helping. Initially I said absolutely no because I want the family to ENJOY the wedding and not be preoccupied with cooking in the days prior or worrying about what has to be heated during the ceremony. 

Needless to say, they have worn me down a bit and now I am considering it.  If we ordered sandwiches and chicken, would it be too much if the family handled the side dishes? I know I would need to assign point people to ensure food is warm and replenished, etc. But I still feel this is a lot to take on. Can this possibly work? And if not, how in the world do I get my gracious in-laws to understand why we need professionals?

Re: DIY Food?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    <a href="http://apracticalwedding.com/2010/03/how-to-self-cater-your-wedding-part-i/" rel="nofollow">http://apracticalwedding.com/2010/03/how-to-self-cater-your-wedding-part-i/</a>

I've been to a couple weddings where the family handled the food. One, they cooked and served it. The other, they just cooked it. At both, my problem was I couldn't really talk to the family, and talking to the family is a part of wedding receptions I enjoy. It's also my duty to thank the hosts, as a guest.

You don't really need professionals. Several times in high school, I was amateur catering staff for events at my church or school, and my family has hired high school kids to help in the kitchen for big parties. If you're having a buffet, you just need responsible teens and a good-natured adult to supervise them. [check your venue's restrictions, though]
  • Options
    Here are some issues I see with this idea:

1. Your family won't be able to enjoy much of your day because they will be busy setting up.

2. Who's providing the linens, plates, forks, drink glasses, chafing dishes, setting up, and cleaning?

3. What happens if someone gets food poisoning because the food was not at proper temperature?  It happens and can cost the person money with medical bills (who can then sue the B&G for the costs).  Caterers are insured for this reason.

4. Who's going to serve the food, make sure there's enough for all of your guests, and refill the food when it runs low?

When you think about all of this it would just be better to spend the $8 per person to have peave of mind.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_diy-food-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:9be8b39c-f6eb-4add-a810-fdcac235df18Post:0d9c2a82-cd89-4e11-8e27-12f2853a4ee5">DIY Food?</a>:
    [QUOTE] And if not, how in the world do I get my gracious in-laws to understand why we need professionals?
    Posted by cwill6212[/QUOTE]

In a word, liability. Are they financially prepared to handle a lawsuit if, God forbid, someone gets food poisoning? Do they have the experience in cooking for 100? Do they have the storage space to properly keep cold foods cold? Do they have the facilities to cook or reheat everything needed?
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'll let you know how the talk goes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards