Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Candy Buffet Ladies

Are any of the current MSP brides doing a candy buffet at their wedding?  I know that I've seen some in the past, but don't recall any current active knotties doing this.

FI and I are considering doing one for a number of reasons.  We have an adjacent room at our reception location that is usually used for a buffet set-up, but since we're doing a plated dinner it will end up being wasted space.  This is part of the reason why we're looking at a candy buffet, also because I work in the grocery business and happen to be a candy buyer, so it's perfect!

So I'm wondering for those that have done this, where did you get your display containers and scoops?  I'm hoping to do this on a bit of a budget, so if any of you are doing a buffet and are going to be selling their jars or scoops afterwards, I'd love to know!  Also, how many different varieties and containers are you planning on displaying?

TIA!

Re: Candy Buffet Ladies

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know Allie/Legg Wiiliams is doing one...but I'm not much more help than that, sorry!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • Options
    bellaxanthebellaxanthe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am - but I am renting the containers from my florist for next to nothing. I plan on having about 1/4 lb of candy for each guest.  I've been buying the bags one a week at micheal's. And D'Amico (my caterer) is providing the scoops.  So sort of budget.  Try craigslist for containers.  I've seen them on there quite a bit.  Otherwise Micheals has the 40% off coupons most weeks and has containers.
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I purchased jars from Home Goods and Target.  Scoops were purchased from Walmart.  I know Michael's sells jars also, so you could purchase them there pretty cheap with the coupons they send out.
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know knottie veijes did this.  You might check the for sale post above.  Married Knotties might be selling their jars.
  • Options
    archie08archie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When are you getting married? I will have all of my items for sale after 12/31. I have been collecting my containers over the year when I find ones on sale. I think its a great idea to do the candy buffet. Something different and that room wont go to waist. I have found that service fee's and cake gets to be very expensive so its for sure an idea if your on a budjet plus, it sounds like you get a good deal on candy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a candy buffet, and was hoping that I'd be able to rent or buy vessels and scoops from other MSP Knotties who've also done this.  I was hoping to have 7 or so different kinds of candy to mix together, mainly stuff like M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, jordan almonds, jelly beans, maybe some rock candy.  Hopefully they'll be in our colors, but not a big deal if they're not.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_candy-buffet-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:14cc7fb1-ad3b-40f8-9383-f2f77f6baa52Post:8f9c7bdb-56d4-4ef1-96b7-a7cbd78abef3">Re: Candy Buffet Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]When are you getting married? I will have all of my items for sale after 12/31. I have been collecting my containers over the year when I find ones on sale. I think its a great idea to do the candy buffet. Something different and that room wont go to waist. I have found that service fee's and cake gets to be very expensive so its for sure an idea if your on a budjet plus, it sounds like you get a good deal on candy!
    Posted by archie08[/QUOTE]

I'm getting married next September, so I've definitely got some time to pick up stuff throughout the year.  I'll keep an eye out for your stuff after 12/31! 

And yes, I really don't want that room to go to waste.  Plus, with my job I'm hoping I might be able to buy some candy at cost, and it gives me another way to incorporate out colors into the event. 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on where to get stuff!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm selling mine after my 9/3/11 wedding so that might be an option if you don't want to store it for a long time, too, though it might be cutting it kinda close. I have a TON of jars and scoops that I'll be selling for $100 (the price I bought it for from another knottie). Pics in bio under DIY
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kristigileskristigiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we just got married on the 14th and we did one.  It was a HUGE success!  This was my mom's big project, so I didn't really have to worry about it.  She got the jars at lots of different places and the scoops from Walmart.
    August 14, 2010 image*PLANNING* *MARRIED*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_candy-buffet-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:14cc7fb1-ad3b-40f8-9383-f2f77f6baa52Post:872221dc-829f-472c-bbed-01b5f47bd320">Re: Candy Buffet Ladies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm selling mine after my 9/3/11 wedding so that might be an option if you don't want to store it for a long time, too, though it might be cutting it kinda close. I have a TON of jars and scoops that I'll be selling for $100 (the price I bought it for from another knottie). Pics in bio under DIY
    Posted by leggwilliams[/QUOTE]

Legg, I totally downloaded the same "stickers" for my candy buffet but modified the bicycle graphic to be my avatar pic and changed the font to match our monogram.  I'll definitely keep you in mind if I don't already have everything I need.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my candy buffet from jtothelee!  She did a great job of picking out the jars, scoops, etc.  I checked the bios, since most of the girls had a "For Sale" section on there.  Craigslist has them sometimes too.  We haven't decided candy yet, but FI is definitely excited to sample our choices!  I think dcprep has a bunch of pics in her bio for her candy buffet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards