Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Need Suggestions...HELP!

Hi ladies,

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide.  My problem is this: my fiance and I have very different ideas of what will constitute a great honeymoon.  When I initially asked him where he'd ideally like to go, he said, "Antarctica."  While this would be a great vacation spot someday, I'm not looking back on my honeymoon photos of frozen tundra and both of us bundled up so much that you can't see our faces.  Not to mention- I hate the cold. 

I was hoping for someplace warm but not too far away (I don't want to waste an entire day traveling when I could be on the beach).  I want to relax, but I don't want to be bored.  I was thinking of St. Martin or Anguilla, but haven't found convincing evidence to support making a final decision to go there.   My fiance is on board with all of these things, but we just can't seem to make up our minds (and his parents are heavily pushing for Hawaii, where they just vacationed and where I've already been).

I'm just feeling pretty lost.

Re: Need Suggestions...HELP!

• Options
    So is he more interested in not sitting on a beach all week? What sort of activities are you guys looking for? More relaxing or more adventure?
  • Options
    I think he's more interested in adventure trips (so am I!) and you're more interested in beach trips. It's REALLY going to be hard to convince him to lay on a beach. 

Why not compromise and do an adventurous trip somewhere warm? You could visit Mayan Ruins in Mexico, for example. If your wedding is in winter, head to Chile or Argentina, or New Zealand, where it will be warm. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    How about Costa Rica?  That seems like somewhere that would meet your need for great beaches and his need for adventure and activity. 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    What about a cruise? That way you can travel to a few places AND enjoy the beach AND enjoy some adventure excursions (like scuba diving, zip-lining, etc) on the islands.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!  I'm really grateful for your insight.  Aside from making the seating arrangements for the reception, planning the honeymoon has been the hardest part- and I definitely didn't anticipate that.

Basically, both my finace and I hate being bored.  That's our biggest fear- getting someplace and just sitting around.  I think my finace would prefer someplace that screams "adventure"... like Kilimanjaro or something.  I'm more partial to the kind of adventure that will likely not kill one or both of us. 

Costa Rica sounds great, as does the idea for a cruise.  I'm very partial to SCUBA and am certified, but he's never been.   He loves treks through the jungle, while I'm terrified of massive bugs or something else tropical and huge.  I think we both need to just work on our open-mindedness. 

• Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2010
    >>Basically, both my finace and I hate being bored.  That's our biggest fear- getting someplace and just sitting around.  I think my finace would prefer someplace that screams "adventure"... like Kilimanjaro or something

Clearly, neither of you have any idea how completely exhausted you will be after getting through the wedding week, the wedding ceremony, and the wedding reception.  It's completely overwhelming.  I don't know anyone who could scream "Adventure" on their honeymoon - people were grateful to sit still for more than 5 minutes before there was some new crisis or problem to be solved like before the wedding. 

Even if your HM is three weeks long, and you want to spend the last two weeks in "adventure mode," you will have to understand that the first week is really for recouperating and recovering and being romantic with your new spouse to set a foundation for your marriage.  And once you get home, you'll be involved in all sorts of other crappppppola that makes the first year of marriage so tricky and so difficult and so full of weird surprises that you never saw coming.

There's no BORED on a honeymoon.  So don't worry about that.  But I would never suggest some high physical challenge like exploring the ruins or mountain climbing or ice fishing for a honeymoon.  You need to talk to friends of yours who were married between 2005 and now to get the real picture...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards