New York
Options

Adding on to the adult only post...

Do you guys think it's okay to put that information on your wedding website?

I was thinking, "Due to limited space at our venue, we have decided to make the reception adults only. We are sorry for any inconveniences this may cause and hope all of our family and friends will still be able to make it!"

Does this work? I don't want to sound rude, but it's true! Our reception venue caps at 130 and my family is absolutely huge...bringing kids would be like an extra 40 people.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Adding on to the adult only post...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I responded to the other post too... just be very careful how you word it.

For example...

"Due to limited space at our venue, we have decided to make the reception adults only. We are sorry for any inconveniences this may cause and hope all of our family and friends will still be able to make it!"

You actually don't hope that ALL of your family and friends can make it, because you don't want the children in your family to come... know what I mean?

I'm trying to think of a better suggestion, but really can't at the moment.  It might be best to just do the invites to the adults only and answer any questions that come up when RSVPs are returned.  Trying to explain it usually makes it more awkward.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_adding-adult-only-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:4c7993b2-6bde-49bd-adda-e7b9a9dea06fPost:90831ddf-ef9e-456d-b4c7-4d36d7ec229a">Re: Adding on to the adult only post...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I responded to the other post too... just be very careful how you word it. For example... "Due to limited space at our venue, we have decided to make the reception adults only. We are sorry for any inconveniences this may cause and hope all of our family and friends will still be able to make it! " You actually don't hope that ALL of your family and friends can make it, because you don't want the children in your family to come... know what I mean? I'm trying to think of a better suggestion, but really can't at the moment.  It might be best to just do the invites to the adults only and answer any questions that come up when RSVPs are returned.  Trying to explain it usually makes it more awkward.
    Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]

Maybe I will just cut it off at "Due to limited space at our venue, we have decided to make the reception adults only. We are very sorry for an inconveniences this may cause." yay/nay?
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that's probably better.... and word of mouth will help a lot too.  Just ask your close family/BP to spread the word.

Also, be ready for the inevitable "Well, I heard Aunt so and so is not coming so can little Johnny just take her spot since you have one extra space now."

There is really no way around that... I got those questions too and we allowed kids. 

Good luck!!
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to Monica. Although I really, really wish I could break etiquette in some cases and treat my guests like total blockheads and spell out everything for them, there's really no way of doing it without 1. making your guests feel like they don't know any better and/or 2. encouraging them to problem-solve for you (i.e., "due to space limitations,"  sounds like "due to this problem created by our venue that we don't know how to get around.")
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards