South Asian Weddings

Out of State Bride in Search of South Asian Vendor Help (in Jersey City, NJ)

Hi all,

I'm having a fusion (Indian/Persian) wedding in Jersey City, NJ.  Since I live in D.C. and can rarely get away from work, I have to do a lot of planning remotely...

I would really appreciate some help with a few vendors.  I am trying to keep things as modern/creative/fresh/clean as possible -- my fiance and I agree on those aesthetics.  

Can anyone suggest....

*A wedding ceremony (mandap, etc.) and reception decorator (florals, lighting, candles, other decor)?  I would like to meet with 2-3 vendors, provide my budget, and see what modern/fresh ideas they can offer within budget.  Anyone company a great eye for modern aesthetics?

*A pandit (officiant) who is experienced, friendly, and can effectively convey the meaning of the major parts of the hindu wedding ceremony to non-hindu guests. 

*A DJ -- not necessarily an Indian DJ -- who is gifted and a crowd pleaser and good with handling moderate MC functions (will have a friend MC but may need the DJ to make some announcements). 

*Mehndi artists (will need 2-3 for Mehndi/sangeet).  Need one very gifted artist with creative/modern ideas for a unique mehndi design for the bride and two assistants to help with application for interested guests. 

I have a TON more questions... but I will look at old posts and see what information I can gather.  Help with the above vendors will really get me off on the right track. 

Thanks!

Re: Out of State Bride in Search of South Asian Vendor Help (in Jersey City, NJ)

• lildevi15lildevi15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Bells - Mandaps by Dhoom was WONDERFUL.  We just got married a few weeks ago in Pennsylvania, and they did a wonderful job.  I can't recommend them enough!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  • edited December 2011
    Pandit recommendation anyone?

Mehndi artists?

• edited December 2011
    I would highly recommend our pandit - Vimesh Thakar. He does have an email address, but I don't have it on me now, but I can PM you his phone number if you'd like.

For mehndi I am using Dipti Desai of Sakhi Beauty. She's been very sweet and I also did a trial with her a few weeks ago, free of charge. It came out really dark and she works quick (at least when it comes to the simple designs). Here is her website:  http://www.sakhibeauty.com/

Hope that helps!
    ExerciseMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards