Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

OL Tuesday

Dear DFW Board,
Why must you be so dead? :(

Dear Personal Budget,
Why must you be so difficult? All I want is to be able to pay off debt, save, and have fun money (all at the same time)!

Dear Work,
Why must you be so busy? At this rate, I'm never going to get my name changed on all of my accounts because I never have time to call during the day (except during lunch, when I don't want to). Ughhhh.

Woe is me, obviously.
Anniversary

Re: OL Tuesday

• Dear Erica,
    I feel you on the name change. I'm actually going to a bank this afternoon with my mom (since it's a joint account opened when I was 18) to change my name and modify the account.
    Luckily this is our slow time at work, so it's my goal to get all of our crap in order before 2013.

The money thing suuuuuucks too. Our financial advisor gave us a couple of key points, maybet hey will help you:
    -If you both have steady income and don't intend on changing careers soon, you only need 3 months of living expenses in your bank's savings account.
    -All other savings should go into a brokerage account for stocks/bonds/etc. The return rate is so much higher, and you can withdraw in an emergency in 24 hours, so even if you do have a massive emergency, it's not like you can't get to your money.
    -Between retirement and overall savings, you should be saving 15-20%. Save more than you think you can.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_ol-tuesday-161?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:b289b06d-c8ea-462e-a108-8d7c357bbb85Post:b99cd186-3608-4388-8ada-1e79c6a718f5">Re: OL Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dear Erica, I feel you on the name change. I'm actually going to a bank this afternoon with my mom (since it's a joint account opened when I was 18) to change my name and modify the account. Luckily this is our slow time at work, so it's my goal to get all of our crap in order before 2013. The money thing suuuuuucks too. Our financial advisor gave us a couple of key points, maybet hey will help you: -If you both have steady income and don't intend on changing careers soon, you only need 3 months of living expenses in your bank's savings account. -All other savings should go into a brokerage account for stocks/bonds/etc. The return rate is so much higher, and you can withdraw in an emergency in 24 hours, so even if you do have a massive emergency, it's not like you can't get to your money. -Between retirement and overall savings, you should be saving 15-20%. Save more than you think you can.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm really glad that you mentioned your joint account. I completely forgot that my mom put me on one of her accounts several years ago (due to a lot of issues that she had with my grandma's accounts when she passed away). Sooo, one more to add to the list! (That I easly could have forgotten for years!)

Also, I like those tips! We are getting there! It's just so hard for me to want to save a lot because I have debt paranoia. I've just never had any, so now that H and I both have a little I want to get rid of it STAT!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards