New Jersey
Options

HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)

Hey Gals.. I need your help.. You can call me the SUPER BUDGET BRIDE..

But I'm in search for a photographer that doesn't cost $1899 w/albums..

In fact, I think paying $1500 for flushmount albums is too much! Can someone tell my why flushmount albums are so darn expensive? Has anyone made their own Flushmount albums?

Help me find someone that is relatively cheap; but has exceptional work around $1200.

PS... Bring on the websites!

It would be great also, if you knew someone that has hired them in the past.. Referrals are always better than searching..

Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:0c8f1351-50f1-42e6-a54b-aa1e2e4ac2a4">HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Gals.. I need your help.. You can call me the SUPER BUDGET BRIDE.. But I'm in search for a photographer that doesn't cost $1899 w/albums.. In fact, I think paying $1500 for flushmount albums is too much! Can someone tell my why flushmount albums are so darn expensive? Has anyone made their own Flushmount albums? Help me find someone that is relatively cheap; but has exceptional work around $1200. PS... Bring on the websites! It would be great also, if you knew someone that has hired them in the past.. Referrals are always better than searching..
    Posted by samanthajones1[/QUOTE]

my friend had a friend do her photography and then went on shutterfly to make an album....looks amazing and came out gorgeous!!!! i might actually do the same thing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was having the same issue. I decided to book a photographer that charged less, had great reviews, and will make my own album.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    My mother got remarried a few years ago and she called a local college that had a photography program and asked for recommendations. It worked out well. I'm not going to say they were as good as from a professional, but they were good. I honestly would trust a student who is just getting started and charging a few hundred dollars more than any full-time professional photographer who feels he or she is only worth $2000 in the NJ area.

Even a friend or a friend of a friend that takes great photos could be a fantastic budget option. Someone just getting started in the business that is looking to put together a portfolio.
  • Options
    That's what Craigslist is for. That's also what a relative with a camera is for.
  • Options
    Photos is one area we made sure we didn't go cheap on! We're spending $4200 on two photgraphers, 16 hour coverage, 2 albums, prints and the right to copy. 

I couldn't put my trust in a student or a friendor, who has no experience shooting weddings. It's not just point and click. You have to know lightting, timing, being quick. Once you miss those special shots, that moment is gone forever. Photos will help you remember that day. A professional carries insurance, has the right and best equipment, knows how to use it, etc. 

I hope your friends and cheap photographers are able to shoot at your venues especially if they don't have insurance.  Most will not let vendors in without it. And make sure you get a contract!!
    *~* Live, Laugh, Love *~*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:1b25e596-b447-42dc-acab-3884710de8b1">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Photos is one area we made sure we didn't go cheap on! We're spending $4200 on two photgraphers, 16 hour coverage, 2 albums, prints and the right to copy.  I couldn't put my trust in a student or a friendor, who has no experience shooting weddings. It's not just point and click. You have to know lightting, timing, being quick. Once you miss those special shots, that moment is gone forever. Photos will help you remember that day. A professional carries insurance, has the right and best equipment, knows how to use it, etc.  I hope your friends and cheap photographers are able to shoot at your venues especially if they don't have insurance.  Most will not let vendors in without it. And make sure you get a contract!!
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsPugh[/QUOTE]

Soon2bemrs, while this is ideal, she's just not going to find that for $1200 with albums.
  • Options
    I meant $2000 with albums. I can't edit my post.
  • Options

There are options out there and Craigs List is not a bad place to go.  You need to be careful about cavalier statements about using a friend to shoot and a place like Shutterfly for albums.  While you might get acceptable results going this route and it will meet your budget constraints, the quality of either won't be anywhere near equal to a true professional.

So look at Craigs List, call friends, check out photography students, etc., but go in with your eyes wide open and know that you'll get something less than you might have were you able to spend more. 

Also, things like insurance can be a problem.  Our venue was very explicit that they will require certificates of insurance from our band, photographer, etc.  this level of photographer will not have that and may be asked to leave before you've even had your first dance.

Again, the point is to make the right decision for quality and budget, but do it with your eyes wide open and your expectations appropriately set.

• Options
    Pick the photographer who you like the best style and quality wise, who fits within your budget, and worry about your albums later. Make sure that you get rights to reprint and use your photos in the future and then you can figure out the rest down the line. 

I love the Shutterfly photo album of our wedding that I put together, but I know that the quality of the pages, the binding, the cover, etc., is not the same as the one that I am getting from the photographer. I've heard positive things about Mixbook for photo albums, but I've never used them personally.

A great photographer was one of the most important things to us. We found the best one we could within our budget. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I can recommend an amazing photographer - she doesn't do albums but you can purchase the photos and print them where ever, even if you choose to have a studio do them at a later time.  PM me or email me at LNF616 at yahoo.com

She came as a recommendation from a friend, her photos were amazing, we are using her for our Feb 16th wedding!!
  • Options
    I went to college with Dante Mott - he was a Photography major and has a photography business. Very, very nice man.

According to his pricing page, an 8 hr wedding is $1195 and his site shows examples of his work. Then, using Shutterfly or MyPublisher to create an album would keep you under $2000.  

Take a look, call him - hope it works out! Would love to give him business.

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:dbb0bc7e-0470-4aab-8d83-a8d68ea30002">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to college with Dante Mott - he was a Photography major and has a photography business. Very, very nice man. His site:  <a href="http://dantemott.com/" rel="nofollow">http://dantemott.com/</a> According to his pricing page, an 8 hr wedding is $1195 and his site shows examples of his work. Then, using Shutterfly or MyPublisher to create an album would keep you under $2000.   Take a look, call him - hope it works out! Would love to give him business.
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow. He was a Photography major? That just goes to show you that you can be tought how to operate a camera, but creativity cannot be taught. Also, at $1195 for a wedding, he should have taken some business classes, as well.</div>
  • Options

Make sure to manage your expectations with a very very low cost - free photographer.  You won't get a BMW on a Kia budget.  Also, PP said it... make sure the person you ask has photographed weddings before... you don't want to be annoyed with questions on the day  of your wedding from your photographer bc they have no idea what to do. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can choose a $2000 photographer and eliminate what you don't need. Find a great professional and cut down the coverage to 6-8 hours. Not everyone needs 1500 edited photos, so opt for 500 edited photos instead. There are ways to get what you want without sacrificing quality. If all you want is some pictures, then by all means just go with a student or beginner. But if you're looking for quality and an artisitic approach, hire a professional.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:9cfc0b58-84c0-476c-b2e1-963c2f1a360f">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can choose a $2000 photographer and eliminate what you don't need. Find a great professional and cut down the coverage to 6-8 hours. Not everyone needs 1500 edited photos, so opt for 500 edited photos instead. There are ways to get what you want without sacrificing quality. If all you want is some pictures, then by all means just go with a student or beginner. But if you're looking for quality and an artisitic approach, hire a professional.

<div>Why would any professional, who values their time, work for any less than what a normal client would pay. Less hours? Less work? I'd be wary of anyone that was willing to do that. Shows that they're desperate for work.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:893517b1-0ed4-40a4-a2d8-fe4093fcba08">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey) :  <div>
    </div><div>Why would any professional, who values their time, work for any less than what a normal client would pay. Less hours? Less work? I'd be wary of anyone that was willing to do that. Shows that they're desperate for work.
    Posted by bereasonable2[/QUOTE]

</div><div>It's called cutomizing your package. Plenty of professionals do it. You add in what you need and eliminate what you don't. Why pay for something you don't need??? The bulk of the pricing comes from the hours shooting and editing, then add on taxes, value, insurance etc, etc. Instead of asking for 1500 edited photos that will cost you more, ask for less. ????</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:9c891518-b4b1-458c-b702-0ef9cfacb7b3">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey) : Wow. He was a Photography major? That just goes to show you that you can be tought how to operate a camera, but creativity cannot be taught. Also, at $1195 for a wedding, he should have taken some business classes, as well.

<div>Eh, whatever. Your opinion is your opinion.</div><div>
    </div><div>The OP post was looking for photographers who are within her budget. You may not be a fan of his work, but it will provide her with nice photographs from a person who would be willing to work with a client at a price she is willing to pay.</div><div>
    </div><div>Not your style? Don't hire him.  Have a higher budget? Good for you. </div><div>
    </div><div>Feel like bashing someone cause you feel above them? Doesn't necessarily make you a nice person. Oh well.</div>

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    16 hours of coverage. What is the photographer going to be taking pictures of for that long?
  • Options
    bereasonable2bereasonable2 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    [QUOTE]In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:9290f915-dd25-402e-8aea-744c143b4db5">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    The bulk of the pricing comes from the hours shooting and editing, then add on taxes, value, insurance etc, etc. Instead of asking for 1500 edited photos that will cost you more, ask for less. ????

<div>Right. So my question is - why would any photographer devote an entire day, getting paid less, when they can just book someone else that WILL pay their minimum day rate? Unless they're not in demand and desperate for money, er, I mean "work".</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:37a4fa69-9da4-4680-890b-c85e1815e393">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey) : Eh, whatever. Your opinion is your opinion. The OP post was looking for photographers who are within her budget. You may not be a fan of his work, but it will provide her with nice photographs from a person who would be willing to work with a client at a price she is willing to pay. Not your style? Don't hire him.  Have a higher budget? Good for you.  Feel like bashing someone cause you feel above them? Doesn't necessarily make you a nice person. Oh well.
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]

<div>I only responded because you say he was a photography major, as if that's supposed to be a "plus" when it's obviously not, judging by his work.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_help-im-not-paying-2000-for-a-photographer-new-jersey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e346b49c-fa26-4ba6-b32b-bae6408f1987Post:177692ce-c9ee-431a-bbb5-c51f05072e66">Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HELP! I'm not paying $2000 for a PHOTOGRAPHER! (New Jersey) : I only responded because you say he was a photography major, as if that's supposed to be a "plus" when it's obviously not, judging by his work.

<div>I guess I was just mentioning that cause I received a quote from a woman who a friend on fb had hired. Her package comparable to the person I hired was $10,000 and although her pictures were very "artistic," (and obviously edited after the fact) the white of the bride's gown was blown out in so many photos.</div><div>
    </div><div>If going on a budget, I would rather have someone who knows how to work a camera rather than someone who decided they could be a photographer but can't actually white balance their work. (And in this case - the other person is not "budget friendly.")</div><div>
    </div><div>Don't think he's creative enough? Don't hire him.  But I'm sure there are "photographers" out there who really don't have any formal training. That was my only point - inexpensive and did have training.</div><div>
    </div><div>You originally suggested someone from Craig's List or a relative with a camera...</div>

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    Flush mount albums are pricey.  I had a friend of mine have her pictures taken by a very good photographer that gave her the rights and high resolution pictures and does not do albums because he does not do it.  She shopped around for an album person to put together a flush mount and found them almost twice as much as she paid for the pictures and photographer.  She has decided to just save up for it as shutterfly and such aren't her style.  
  • Options
    I wish I found your post sooner. Two days ago, there were two groupon and living social deals for wedding photography in the central Jersey section. Definitely check it out for future deals. 

Also, one of my friends does photography. It's more of a hobby for her, but she is pretty good. Here is a link to some of her work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnicolephotography/sets/72157632732023080/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wish I found your post sooner. Two days ago, there were two groupon and living social deals for wedding photography in the central Jersey section. Definitely check it out for future deals. 

Also, one of my friends does photography. It's more of a hobby for her, but she is pretty good. Here is a link to some of her work. http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnicolephotography/sets/72157632732023080/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards