Hawaii

Maui Reception Restaurant Location - Est. 60 ppl

Hi all!

I'm looking for a place to have e a nice dinner after our beach wedding in February 2012.  We will have about 60 guests so I am looking for a place that will accommodate that amount of people.  My ideal reception would be on a patio with hanging lights or some type of low lighting or candles.  We won't be having a DJ or anything like that.  I am looking for something in the mid range dollar amount.  Nothing too casual but by no means a Four Seasons either... haha
It looks like Five Palms or Gannon's are in the lead right now.  I've heard good reviews of both but a few random bad ones.  The one and only bad thing I heard about Five Palms is it may be a bit outdated or casual...  Is this true, even on the outdoor patio area?  Most of the reviews I read were from random people eating there for dinner or for Happy Hour and not for a reception on the patio.

Any advice for either or location would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  =)

Kind regards,
Susan

Re: Maui Reception Restaurant Location - Est. 60 ppl

• edited December 2011
    The Five Palms is more dated than Gannons as Gannons was recently (within 3 years) renovated and has some amazing features like mood lighting, etc.  But, I wouldn't call Five Palms too casual, it's just very Hawaiian.  The patio is mostly wood with a rattan awning, if I remember correctly.  It's on the beach, but its aspect actually more direclty faces the condo's pools.  

Sorrentos is generally in the running with those two, as well.  I absolutely love Three's Bistro in Kihei, but it's not right on the beach.  Mama's Fish House or Joe's Bar & Grill may be something to consider as well.  
  • edited December 2011
    We had our rehearsal dinner and next day brunch at Mala in Wailea.  They can open the walls so there's open air seating.  You overlook the pool area of the Marriott and then the water, but you don't really notice it unless you're peering down over the balcony. The food is pretty amazing.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you very much to both of you for your responses.  I will continue to reserach and see what I can find. We are staying towards Wailea so looking for a restaurant close to that area.  Mala looks nice.  I'll call to see if they can fit 60 guests.  Thanks again!!  =)
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ate at Gannon's last year for lunch and I really liked it. I think it has recently been renovated inside? It's a huge area with really nice wood floors. I snapped some pics in case any brides wanted to see...please excuse the poor quality of my camera!

andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your pictures!  Do you know if Gannon's is right on the beach or close to it?  I know Five Palms is right on the beach.  I can't quite tell from many of the pictures I've seen of Gannons.  Thanks!
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gannon's is not on the beach, it is up farther on the hill.  Five Palms is right on the beach. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards