Catholic Weddings

Taking Control of Your Fertility

Have any of you ever read it?  How comparable is it to a class for NFP?  I just started reading it and it's very interesting.  Just curious if I should also look into NFP or if this book will tell me all I need to know.

Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility

• lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I read it, and I also took the class. I think that for me, it has been really helpful to do both. 
    They reinforce each other, and for the class, it is really helpful to have real people looking at your charts with you!
    Anniversary
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I only read the book.  A bunch of us on TK have self-taught from the book.  It depends on your learning type and time constraints.  For me, book learning was fine, plus if I wanted backup, I knew that so many brides on TK could give me advice, especially since fertilityfriend charts can be posted.
  • edited December 2011
    I read it before I even met my future husband, 'cause I'm just curious like that. If you can get a Catholic program, I think a spiritual and relational aspect would be helpful, not just the science.
  • edited December 2011

I really liked it.  I signed up for a class just to have some confirmation that I was doing everything correctly.

Anniversary

• chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:99646c0c-99da-4659-a664-48e74b6a7f29">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only read the book.  A bunch of us on TK have self-taught from the book.  It depends on your learning type and time constraints.  For me, book learning was fine, plus if I wanted backup, I knew that so many brides on TK could give me advice, especially since fertilityfriend charts can be posted.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Good thinking! I feel like I can probably teach myself, but I'm glad to know you guys are here if I have questions.
    I was on BCP for awhile for period issues and stopped a little over a month ago.  How long until I should be able to start properly charting?
  • edited December 2011
    It took me a few months after I went off the pill to get what I thought was "regular." 
    Anniversary

• catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did both.  I took a class offered by the couple to couple league, and I read TCOYF.

The method that was taught by CCL is similar to TCOYF; however, some of the rules differ.

For example, the CCL class has the notion of the LTL and HTL, where you find your 6 previous temps, draw a line at the highest one. That's the LTL.  Count up 4 tenths, and draw another line. That's the HTL.  The CCL class says that you need 3 temps at or above the HTL or no dice.

TCOYF is a little different.  They have you count the last 6 temps, draw a line one tenth above the highest of the previous 6, and all other temps after that have to be above or on the line in order for ovulation to have occurred.

So, the rules are slightly different.  I prefer the TCOYF rules, because I was having issues with my temps not hitting the HTL.  TCOYF also showed different patterns for temps -- like slow rising temperatures, etc.  The CCL class basically said if you don't fit the pattern, you didn't ovulate.  TCOYF was much accomodating for charts that didn't fit the exact pattern.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:aa63e8f3-5417-419a-b103-8e9c6ea6c677">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility : Good thinking! I feel like I can probably teach myself, but I'm glad to know you guys are here if I have questions. I was on BCP for awhile for period issues and stopped a little over a month ago.  How long until I should be able to start properly charting?
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Start today.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:7cb0e784-59ca-46cb-93b3-93778850c7ff">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility : Start today.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

Lol well I don't want to start before I'm done with the book.  But I should be able to start soon!
  • shawna127shawna127 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:7cb0e784-59ca-46cb-93b3-93778850c7ff">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility : Start today.
    Posted by catarntina[/QUOTE]

I agree, well start as soon as you know how to do it lol.  Its so helpful and I learned from the book and also got the CCL book to hear the religous side, which was nice.  But then again there isn't anyone in my area who does NFP classes. So I would say you can learn from the book and ask questions here, on the TCOYF website or I also use livingthesacrament.com (love it).  Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions! :o)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i self taught with the book.  i felt pretty comfortable and well versed in the religious aspects of avoiding articifical BC.  so, i really wanted a solid,scientific approach to the method.  i am now on chart 35 or 35, and no issues.
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    Start today if you can, or at your next cycle (I thought TCOYF was easy and compelling enough to read really quickly).  It usually takes 3-6 months to feel comfortable about things.
  • edited December 2011
    I started making observations around chapter 4, and then finished the book.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I read it, charted for a couple of months and then decided to use a CM-only method of NFP, so I took a Creighton class. I would have taken a ST or CCL class if I had opted to go that route, in part because a full course of NFP was required and in part because having people to troubleshoot with is super-helpful.

I think the book is wonderful and think every woman should read it. I think that it explains the science of NFP extremely well and in a way that non-Catholics or doubting Catholics have trouble discounting. I thought it did a great job

The couple of months I spent charting helped me discern that a CM-only method would be better for me, both because of sleeping pattern issues that will only get worse with kids and my husband's schedule and because of more days than normal with CM present).

I'm still really glad I read it. I feel like I am more well-versed in ST-type NFP and I feel like I really have a great grasp on the science of it all, as I said before.

I would start on the first day of your next cycle. You can get used to temping and checking CM now, but it won't be as meaningful without the big picture of the full cycle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I'm a lurker from another board, and I've been thinking about NFP versus birth control pills, which I am currently on. Would someone who knows about this and practices it (successfully) be willing to PM me and talk to me about it?
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:dead0a77-897d-4912-93ee-576756ac1147">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi, I'm a lurker from another board, and I've been thinking about NFP versus birth control pills, which I am currently on. Would someone who knows about this and practices it (successfully) be willing to PM me and talk to me about it?
    Posted by agape1cor813[/QUOTE]

Feel free to PM me (or probably anyone on this conversation) about it.  Most of us have used NFP for months or years.  There's a whole slew of people who use NFP throughout TK for both TTA and TTC.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:f90eb175-ae15-4da9-ba22-96b9dafba6a6">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility : Feel free to PM me (or probably anyone on this conversation) about it.  Most of us have used NFP for months or years.  There's a whole slew of people who use NFP throughout TK for both TTA and TTC.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

<div>You got PM.</div>
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_taking-control-of-fertility?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:90453508-c450-4573-946d-34a86ccd0586Post:61d48859-b497-4aae-bf7f-e881c17db537">Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Taking Control of Your Fertility : You got PM.
    Posted by agape1cor813[/QUOTE]

I responded.  :)
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you can PM me too, if you like.
  • edited December 2011
    I did both the book and the class.
    I found the book more thorough and provided more information, but the class simplified everything to really get me started.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards