Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

What the ffffff?

So I have NO idea what I'm doing for my makeup, and I don't even know where to start! A friend of mine is doing my hair (she's licensed) but I don't like the way she does her own makeup so I'm not trusting her to do mine. Most of the advertisements I've seen are for bridal hair and they can throw in makeup too??

I know I want my makeup done professionally because I have some serious raccoon syndrome. No matter what I do I end up looking like Avril Lavigne (and not on purpose!) at the end of the day. I figure a professional can remedy this for my wedding day.

Where do you start? And PLEASE don't say my local board. Lol I live in the largest town on th western slope of Colorado, and that's not saying much. There is no "local" board for me. :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker
150 Invited image RSVP Date: April 15th
84 Attendingimage
66 Missing Outimage
0 Not Repliedimage

Re: What the ffffff?

• Options
    SO.. I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Are you asking for suggestions regarding make-up places? 
    because.. that's a local board thing. Sorry. It just is. 
    HOWEVER, you can get your make up done at department store make-up counters. THe best make0up application I have ever had was at a MAC store. Some charge (MAC does.. it's about 50 bucks I think) and some don't... but that is a good route to go if you can't find anyone in your area. 
    Also, check craigslist (be CAREFUL please. creepers are on there too.. ) for people working on their portfolio so they will offer services at a discounted rate. 
  • Options

I agree with carefully checking CL, goodluck!
    siggyaugust Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with PPs about local board and checking department store. In my area, most stores don't charge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would start by Googling to find someone in your area, checking their reviews and portfolios, and you can also see if they have any reviews on Wedding Wire. Department stores are a way to go also.
  • Options
    weddingwire.com is a good place to start.  Got to bridal shows, for the people that do hair and makeup tell them you only want makeup.  Ask your venue for some suggestions, they usually have a list of preferred vendors, then ask those vendors.

GL!
  • Options
    All I've got is that eye primer will help with your raccoon eye issues.  Two-faced and Urban Decay make epic ones.
  • Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    Search fir someone in your area that does airbrush makeup. I heard it covers great! Maybe your photographer knows someone.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    I know that you're not crazy about the way your hair stylist does HER OWN makeup, but have you seen any examples of how she does makeup on others? Perhaps you're just not a fan of the style that she prefers on herself. Most professional MUA have the ability to create the look YOU want, rather than the look they prefer on themselves.

I know that I'm not a huge fan of the way my MUA does her own makeup either. It's just too dark for my taste. But, she is perfectly capable of recreating almost any look I desire.
  • Options
    I agree w/ pp about primer and some good brands of makeup, but if you're not familiar with makeup the best brands won't do crap. You couldn't give me the best brands of watercolor and I suddenly turn into van gogh... LOL.  

W/ that being said: Try your friend. Hey she'll probably play around with your makeup for free. I'd suggest grabbing some wine, and letting her go to town, tweaking the makeup until you love it. Then she can write down exactly what she did as well as color/brands you loved the best and go from there.

*My Planning Bio* *UPDATED 1-18-2012*
    South FL March siggy: Fave Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_what-the-ffffff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:1ad1c7f6-b260-4f55-930c-7e8e1daf7916Post:9b137bd1-31aa-4546-aa0c-fbfeaf0bf218">Re: What the ffffff?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Try your friend. Hey she'll probably play around with your makeup for free. I'd suggest grabbing some wine, and letting her go to town, tweaking the makeup until you love it. Then she can write down exactly what she did as well as color/brands you loved the best and go from there.
    Posted by plswitze[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. Most MUAs like to experiment with their own makeup, but know how to create the looks their clients request. Do a hair and makeup trial with your friend, be honest with her if she's going in a direction you don't like, and tweak until you're happy ... I'll be she surprises you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My two cents is for Sephora if you have one. They do a great job.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards